28 gallon bowfront SAD,HORRIBLE DAY! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Lightbulb 28 gallon bowfront SAD,HORRIBLE DAY!

hey everyone i just wanted to show you my tank so u could let me know what to add or do diff to it.

okay after looking on liveaquaria.com i made a list of fish that i think would fit in the tank and work great with it. lets see what you all think:

sparkling gourami
marble hatchet fish
yo yo loach
chilli rasbora
Peacock Gudgeon
blue rams (have and will remain, its just one male right now soon to be a female for him)
oto cats( have 3, plan on 5)
Harlequin Rasbora
Threadfin Rainbow
Praecox Rainbow

cherry shrimp( there in tank but willing to move)

thanks for looking

Last edited by problemman; 03-04-2010 at 03:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

46 viewing and no one wants to hate on my fish tank?!? oh come on i know u do
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Algae Grower

Looks good maybe some nice big plants in the back but I think it looks pretty good right now
post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
I had to edit this and just make a few comments, I've seen your tank posted on APC also. I will make some comments. These comments will be in particular to what (plants, hardscape) you currently have in your tank and what I think you should do with them. I will be blunt, I'm not an "expert aquascaper" or anything.

I'm kind having a real hard time distinguishing what you are intending to do to maximize your visual depth. There's too much sticking up in random places and w/ out the plants in the back grown in, it's hard to see some things.

Background
1. move the plant directly behind the big rock in the back left corner and move the arcuata to the right in that blank area.
2. that aromatic should fill in the back right corner.
3. not sure if the rotala should stay or move slightly to the left behind the rock.
4. too many stems can be distracting but you may pull it off.

Midground
1. That huge anubias have got to go (doesn't fit the scape) I'm pretty much dead serious about that.
2. the windelov fern is out of place where it is, probably should be moved and raised up to where the large anubias WAS in front of the large rock. The other rocks that are there can be used to lift the fern up and become the focal point of the scape having the rock contrast w/ the fern and emphasize it's position.
3. put all the petites in a half circle border in front of the large rock around the windelov fern.
4. cut that marsilea up into 2 leaf parts and plant them deep (just to the base of the leaf like glosso)

Hardscape.
1. the large rock looks good where it is, but doesnt' have anything to balance it out.
2. To balance out the rock, the wood w/ moss can be laid down from where is forward putting the mossy part toward the front. That will dampen it's obtrusiveness and compliment the flow from left to right. There's no rhythm (no flow). put your blyxa around it...
3. I'd take the little rocks out on the left and put the lotus over there in front of the blyxa that is there.
4. try to eliminate clutter and balance out your hardscape.
5. put some emphasis on the hardsape instead of hiding it.

For fish, if you stick w/ rams, go w/ some small cories and maybe 12-15 smaller tetras, and keep the ottos (add more if you want). After those stems grow in the back the shrimp will have a better chance of surviving into a nice sized colony.

It's just my personal preference but I like to stick with fish that inhabit the same waters. When you start mixing fish from different geographic regions, (just my opinion) it gets tacky. I tend to keep Asian fish w/ asian fish (malaysia, borneo, viet nam etc.) SA fish w/ SA fish etc.

Last edited by chadly; 01-04-2010 at 06:16 PM.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks chadly!

Midground
1. That huge anubias have got to go (doesn't fit the scape) I'm pretty much dead serious about that.
2. the windelov fern is out of place where it is, probably should be moved and raised up to where the large anubias WAS in front of the large rock. The other rocks that are there can be used to lift the fern up and become the focal point of the scape having the rock contrast w/ the fern and emphasize it's position.
3. put all the petites in a half circle border in front of the large rock around the windelov fern.
4. cut that marsilea up into 2 leaf parts and plant them deep (just to the base of the leaf like glosso)

can u explain this a little more?
2. To balance out the rock, the wood w/ moss can be laid down from where is forward putting the mossy part toward the front. That will dampen it's obtrusiveness and compliment the flow from left to right. There's no rhythm (no flow). put your blyxa around it...

okay i was pretty much thinking the same thing bout the anubias i already removed the windelov and im going to tear out the fourleaf clover i dont want it in this tank im doing sand.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

to explain the wood position is somewhat tough for me because I can't really see the whole piece but I was thinking you could lay the wood down and point the mossy end part toward the front sorta at a 45 from the back corner.

p.s. to be completely honest the white sand you mentioned earlier will probably clash with the white rocks you have and be a wash out.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

those are lace rock and they are more of a grey tone. hmmmm i like the look of a grassy foreground but at the same time i didnt want to deal with just one more plant to worry bout growing. lol

maybe i could do a black sand foreground. idk im really at a loss. i like the plant LILAEOPSIS BRASILIENSIS but if the blyxa does good then i think they would just blend in together. im really thinking im going to switch the blxa out for dwarf sag, then maybe get the LILAEOPSIS BRASILIENSIS.

well i went to the pet store and i was looking and i have come to my final stocking list.

im going to do
7 threadfin rainbow fish
3 yoyo loaches
3 sparkling gouramis
and maybe the school of microrasboras im thinking not thought since they are so shy. maybe the school of cardinals will stay or i will go with harlequin rasboras. thinking either school will be bout 8 each.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

couple things... marsilea will grow fine in med light, the dwarf sag will send runners all over your tank where you don't want them and that would screw up your all sand foreground.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

well that i can trim and keep clustered together with work lol they would need to fill in a bit of room in the tank so i dont think i would have to worry bout it for a while.

the marsilea grows to slow for my taste. i need moderate or fast. thats why i think a sand bed would just be more appropriate i get an instant result and then im dont add some of the yoyos and they keep it turned and so will the MTS even shrimp
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

any one else want to input
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

anyone?
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

okay people i want to hear read what u think of this tank what i should add what i should take out. come on! lol
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

guess i wont get to much help on here either or opinions
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Algae Grower

I think you should just try out different stuff maybe adding some driftwood changing out some plants adding some type of grass and see how it starts to take shape and go from there
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

what should i put instead of the big anubias? i was thinking some anubias nana and bolbitis. i will try it out tomorrow get a pic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode