Mark's ~ 2010 Restful Hideaway ~ 20G Riparium - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 95 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Well hopefully when I start cleaning this tank with CLR I will end up with a GLA grade rimless tank!
That would so cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Before I went off to a New Years Eve Party, I tried to clean up the tank. I stopped by my local Dollar general on my way home from work and picked up some CLR, gloves and sponges. After taking the dog out, I started in and after 2 times of scrubbing and also using a razor blade, using CLR full strength and letting it set, the water line spots will not come off!

The tank is cleaner, but there are waterline spots at the top. Here are some pics...

Current Tank Journals: 125 Dream~~~~
Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
post #18 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Had a small setback last night. After letting the silicone set for 48 hours it was time for a fill test. It FAILED! I had a couple small minor leaks that I needed to repair. They where all on the same side so I removed the silicone from that side and re-did it. I will wait 48 hours and try again to fill it. My fear is that where I cut the silicone on the bottom, water will get thru this cut point. If so, I will have to rip out all the silicone and reseal the whole thing. Time will tell!

Retired Tank Journals: Tranquility ~~~~ Les Collines Rouges ~~~~ Restful Hideaway Riparium~~~~Gone Live-55Gal
post #19 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
That stuff works like a CHARM!!! On just about everything. I had some tarnished silverware that I threw in a small bucket filled with CLR, and it was jewelry-grade silver less than 30 seconds later!
Was the only cleaner that successfully took coraline algae off of my outflow boxes. It also cleans algae off of a plastic tree trunk decoration I have in my cichlid tank. Love the stuff!
post #20 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I need to take a step back. I realized I forgot to update that I resealed that tank. On New Years Morning, I removed the old silicone from the corners (left the silicone on the bottom), prep the tank and resealed it. Here are some pics.

Silicone removed

New Silicone

After I removed the silicone from the corners, I took it to the bathtub to clean it and in the process the left panel broke loose from the front and back panels. I think this is what caused the minor leaks I had since they came from that side. I am hoping that by removing the silicone from that side and redoing it, that I will not have any more leaks.

post #21 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonloco View Post
Was the only cleaner that successfully took coraline algae off of my outflow boxes. It also cleans algae off of a plastic tree trunk decoration I have in my cichlid tank. Love the stuff!
I used the stuff full strength and the water spots are like burned into the glass. I even let the stuff set and then took a razor blade to it and it did not come off. I will have to live with it till I get enough money to buy another tank.

post #22 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
I used the stuff full strength and the water spots are like burned into the glass. I even let the stuff set and then took a razor blade to it and it did not come off. I will have to live with it till I get enough money to buy another tank.
Wow, sorry to hear that. If CLR doesn't take it off, IMO, nothing will.
post #23 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

If you completely dismantle the tank, you can flip the front panel over so the stained part is at the bottom.
post #24 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

FSM...I didn't want to have to tear the whole thing apart since the bottom was in good shape. If this riparium turns out good, then I may be buying later on a GLA rimless tank to replace this one.

Well the tank is up and running! I did a fill test tonight and NO LEAKS!! Here are some pics to update to the present (please look past the mess around where this tank is sitting. For the moment it will be setup down in my basement where I am hoping to one day turn into a fish room but for now has a bunch of storage stuff stacked up. Once I get my office remodeled upstairs, this tank will go up there.) Onto the pics...

Here is the tank Sat. night after painting the back..

The stand after sanding it down and applying a new coat of stain..

The tank and stand all ready to go on Sunday evening...

Got the light hung over the tank on Monday night...

Tank ready to go after successful test fill and got the filter tubes hooked up. I am hoping the riparium plants will hide these...

I am using mineralized soil so I have the edges in place...

Oops! As you can see I forgot to put the dolmite and potash down first so I had to scoop the soil back out to put those things down...

Now for the soil...

and cap it...

I filled it up and arranged some DW and away she goes...

post #25 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice work. You've been busy!

I'm getting these plants and dry goods ready to go right now and I'll ship 'em tomorrow morning. I hope that the box can dodge the real cold weather.
post #26 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thx Devin! I was crossing my fingers tonight that the test fill would be successful because if it had failed, I would have had to put a hold on all the supplies you were going to send me.

I will be on the lookout for the package on Friday. Will there be a heat pack in with the plants?

Thx again Devin for all your help with this setup!

post #27 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That MTS should make a nice low-maintenance underwater area. What kinds of plants are you going to put underwater? If you have any extra you should consider adding some MTS to the riparium planters. Certain plants grow really well with MTS added. You just have to be careful to position it such that it doesn't wash out of the planter and into the tank water.

I am using an insulated box and heat pack--it's just awful cold out there. I have extra plants for a second shot if we have any trouble with these.
post #28 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What did you cap your MTS with, I really like the color of it. I can tell already this tank is going to be beautiful. Nice job!
post #29 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonloco View Post
What did you cap your MTS with, I really like the color of it. I can tell already this tank is going to be beautiful. Nice job!
Thank you! I hope it turns out well.

The cap is a mixture of black gravel, tan gravel and red flourite leftover from my 90 gal bowfront.

post #30 of 95 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey I got that box into the mail. You should see it Friday or Saturday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode