My Sparkling Gourami breeding Journal - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My Sparkling Gourami breeding Journal

*this is a little late but figure I should start a journal now to document as this has gotten, as Marci said in "Cruel Intentions", Completely, out, of hand..*

Prelude:
There once was a girl that had been out of the hobby for about a decade and decided to get back in, but limit herself to just ONE, 20 gallon long, so that she could obsess over it as she generally did with her fish tanks, without spending TOO Much time (such as when she had a 6ft 125 gal planted tank, plus 2 others).

After some initial stocking.. I fell in love with two (seemingly juvenile) sparkling gourami at the better of the 3 LFS's available, so I bought them.
They turned on other fish in my 20 gallon long, despite the dense plants, even a sweet, stationary oto was not safe (this should have been a clue).

I pleaded with my fiance to let me get a second tank, even thought I'd promised to JUST have one (like potato chips but worse!).
Luckily, it was Christmas.. so I convinced her to get me one for an early present.
SO, I bought them a 2.6 gal and planted it.. and put a piece of driftwood in it that pretty much split it in half so they could have their own territories.

I tried to sex them but wasn't sure as they were hard to catch still in light.. but thought they might both be female.
They were not...

Dec. 24, between holiday cooking, I tried to do a quick 50% WC..
pushing the horizontal heater down so that when the water level dropped it would still be immersed.
As I was filling the water back up.. I saw tiny, white eggs, a few still under the heater, the rest scattered ALL about the tank.
A day or so later they hatched.. and as I couldn't find out satisfying information online as to whether they should stay with the parents or not..
I moved them to a homemade fry net..

Jan. 6? ( I forget the exact date)
I found a SECOND batch of eggs..
and subsequently, BEGGED my fiance, yet again.. to let me get ONE more tank..
a 10 gal.. for this growing family.
Again, luck was on my side.. as the 10th was my birthday.. and on the 12th we went to get my new 10 gal and accessories.
After letting the substrate settle for a few days, I was going to add fish on the 3rd day (but had already added the fry in the breeder net)..

Jan. 14 I had the worst experience I have had in my life with a tank..
due to having put too large of a piece of driftwood in.. I awoke early tto find my new tank (full of substrate, semi full of planets.. and the fry) cracked and half empty.
The fry were fine.. I put their net in a bowl and went about getting all the plants out, as much water as I could, and the substrate.
Then drove 30 minutes to get another 10 gallon tank.
This evening, I put the substrate in, filled it about 3/4 way with water, used a mini hack saw to cut the driftwood in HALF.. and put the plants in loosely ( I ordered 3 large bunches of HORNWORT 2 days prior which should be here in 24 hours).. and re floated the fry.
Also... realized the heater still worked but the motor most likely burned out on my brand new filter from running dry, so I ordered a new filter online.
Late this evening (technically Friday morning) I decided to see if I could go ahead and use a large spoon to scoop some of the 2nd batch of free swimming fry out, and put them in the new tank (after my fiance kept telling me the mom was eating babies).
BUT when I lifted the spoon up, there were NOT just fry in it.. but NEW eggs as well.
(so may not have bee mom eating babies but in fact DAD moving eggs that my fiance saw)
So, this makes 3 spawns.. since Dec. 24 (ish.. that's when I found the eggs).

I can't find anywhere online where it talks about these guys spawning SO often.
Really interested in if this is NORMAL??
and what I can condition them with to help as they seem to be exerting a TON of energy..
they currently get pre soaked betta pellets, pre soaked shrimp pellets, flake, and bloodworm (the parents)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nano.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	575401  

Name:	dec24eggs.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	575425  

Attached Images

20g long with Otos, Corydoras Pygmaeus, RCS and Nerites

2.6 gal nano planted Sparkling gourami breeding tank

2 gal planted Betta Splendens tank

10 g planted with Sparkling Gourami fry

Last edited by thegirlundertherainbow; 01-15-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: adding info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 AM
Algae Grower

Really enjoyed the prelude to this. Can't wait for additional updates! (And hopefully plenty of pictures!...)

...and when will your fry-tank be ready...?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Trying! Not doing so good with getting pics inserted right.. had to keep editing as I accidentally made a bunch of BUMPS..
and honestly waiting for Nyquil to kick in.. need to get a little sleep and quit worrying about the population explosion going on next to my pillow (this tank is next to my bed a bit above eye level)..
worrying about mom eating fry.. as many as there are.. stresses me out.

Planning on moving the whole family to the 10 gallon..
didn't realize this morning I also fried the filter..
ordered a new one tonight but it will take days to get here.
So may run my 20g filter on the tank a bit to help it clear up (still waiting on the Fluorite to settle also)..
then use the filter for my 2.6 gallon (it's rated for a 10g and the same as I HAD in the 10g gallon but now I think it's not strong enough)
until I get my new filter in.
Also.. the 3 large bunches of hornwort I ordered should be here tomorrow.. want to get them all in to give the fry and dad plenty of places to hide in the even mom goes after any (still not certain she has even done this truthfully).
And on an additional note.. I do know for SURE, that with the first batch.. once hatched but not free swimming.. or almost free swimming.. I saw MOM grab one (thought she was gulping it down) and actually place i BACK with the rest..
for a fact.
So hopefully..tomorrow?
But may not have time to get all the plants in etc.. till late tomorrow.. well today now.. so may not actually move fish until Saturday the 16th.
NaH2O likes this.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Algae Grower

Wow wow! Thats quite a lot of spawning! Glad you were able to get an additional tank for the bebes!

Maybe if I was patient and had given you more posting time, I'd have found out before asking.

Super excited to see some little fry pics and watch them grow! Thanks for sharing your mothering experience, and welcome back to intensive fish-keeping! The tanks are going to start racking up!

I share in your curiousity about if this much spawning is normal, as well as some conditioning ideas for the parents!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

As a word of advice, try to raise your fry with bare bottomed glass tanks... you can add lots of floating plants (but not messy stuff like cabomba). I like using elodea, which I see you also have some. But it needs some nutrients and or light. For a simple low maintenance nutrient for elodea I can recommend Tetra's Plantamin. That stuff makes the leaves nice and green and you in theory only have to dose once a month. They also make a similar trace nutrient product also called planta---something. I have not needed that on the elodea.
This way you can keep your floors super clean... and your fish super happy... Once they are properly free swimming and taking larger food, I'd add a few cory's just to make double sure no wasted food stays on the floor or in filters.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My elodea has not done well oddly. I just got a bunch of hornwort in though.. I use Seachem ferts and usually root tabs (don't have any for this new 10g yet though). And Co2 on my 20g but haven't seen yet if it would be safe for a fry tank (thinking not?)

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Jan. 20, 2016
REALLY slacking on pics and updates.
Still waiting on driftwood to re sink in the "family" ten gallon.. but decided to go ahead and transfer some fry to it today (quickly caught 18 no idea how many more are still in the 2.6g with mom and dad).
Still debating on if I will move the whole family to the ten... which is what my fiance wants me to do so her betta can take over the 2.6g.. OR leave mom and dad in the 2.6g and keep transferring the fry to the 10g as I can so they can all grow out w/out mom or dad.
So for now I still have some of the first fry in a floating pantyhose net thing.. in the 10g.. and 18 loose in the tank itself.
I did get a pic of these latest fry before I moved them since I had them caught..
technically these could be mixed of the 2nd and 3rd batch of fry, but I believe they are all from the same spawn as they seem to be the same size.

***Edited to add.. not sure if it means for sure they are spawning.. but hearing some noise come from these breeders tonight***
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	frypic.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	578513  

Last edited by thegirlundertherainbow; 01-21-2016 at 04:56 AM. Reason: adding info
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

1.21.16 moved 8 more fry from the 2.5g to the 10g. Took awhile to catch this many.. pretty sure some are from the 2nd spawn and some from the 3rd due to size in photo (will post as soon as I can send it so my email). There are a lot more fry from the 3rd (most recent) spawn but they seem to be hiding in the java moss that's a few inches below the surface. Seems like the older fry move to the floating dwarf water lettuce more, which is where I can easily catch them with a spoon.
And mom and dad were making more noise today.. so not sure if that means they will spawn again soon (it has been like a week so if they keep it up like they have been it's about due lol)
LATER today while putting on the lid to the 10g finally (Petsmart was out of lids when I got the tank) I accidentally dumped almost all of the fry in the net into the 10g..
Then caught 9 more fry from the latest spawn from the 2.5g and put them into the net.
Stirred plants a bit in the 2.5g and realized there are a LOT more fry left than I thought.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fry12116.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	578785  

Last edited by thegirlundertherainbow; 01-22-2016 at 03:58 AM. Reason: pic
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

[QUOTE=thegirlundertherainbow;8801113]My elodea has not done well oddly. I just got a bunch of hornwort in though..QUOTE]

Hornwort is a mofo when it starts dropping tiny leaves, they get more than you realise, and the one morning, boom, ammonia burst.

I find elodea grows very well in my fry tanks, under an 11W spiral warm white globe., but it will go transparent and waste away in low light. I suppose the elevated nitrate levels from heavy fry feedings would help too. But I can take a piece from a tank with less light, before it dies, chuck it under the cfl, and not only will it return to health, it pushes out roots and runners like crazy.

I also noticed a kind of coating forms on them in low light, in the mornings, I swap fresh elodea out to the darker tanks, and put their pieces under the light, the fry eat the coating off in minutes.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah i noticed.. this tank for now is too low light for elodea tho.
but as right now I've got it set up next to my 20g long with an Odyssea quad t5.. thinking about finding a way to use the fixture on this tank also for a few hours a day..if i can find something to sit it on.

Also.. I hav a ton of dwarf water lettuce and the fry have done very well in the roots.. plus a ball of java moss, in the 2.5g.. I may end up just getting more java moss and moving more dwarf water lettuce from my 20g if I can get the light to support it.

Last edited by thegirlundertherainbow; 01-21-2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: detail
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I simply use an old bedlamp for that tank... its not very big...

See if you can get some freshwater seaweed, a ball of that is also a good hiding place.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah that's what I have on my 2.5g just need to get another for this tank or share the t5.
freshwater seaweed, you mean subwassertang?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

SO the noise was definitely an indicator. There are more eggs today. Thanks to dad for sticking them in the back of the tank where I don't clean the algae off the glass and there's some dying elodea..lol.
This is a small piece of wood I got on the beach that I cleaned/sanitized and put in that won't sink... but floats, and I use it to brake the water flow from the filter so that half the tank has movement and half is still with floating plants for fry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	eggs12216.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	579241  

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

STILL waiting on the d**n driftwood to sink.. but put more dwarf water lettuce in, and FINALLY got my filter in today.. YAY.
It came with sponge.. biomedia..and carbon.. I'm gonna run the carbon for a bit to clear up the tank, then take it out and put more peat in. I currently have a SMALL amount of peat in the top in pantyhose. Also going to put sponge from my established 20g in this later today and take out the new sponge.. but was in a hurry to get some kinda real filter on the tank as soon as it came in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10gfilter.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	579665  

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Driftwood sunk s week ago?
New eggs tonight so they're slowing down.
Some fry are about half an inch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode