First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
First Planted Tank

I'm wanting to make this journal as a record of this new hobby that I've acquired. If you want to comment on anything please feel free to do so. Otherwise I'm going post at least weekly with more frequent updates if anything pops up. So let's rock n roll!
This is a standard 20 gallon tank with that beautiful rim. Equipment is as follows:
-Light fixture is an unknown brand from my LFS but is running 2x 24 watt T5HO's. One is at 6700k and the other is 10000k.
-Substrate is Flourite Red. The rock I forget the exact type.
-As of right now the tank will be planted with Dwarf Hair Grass carpeted via the Dry Start Method. My Saran Wrap does quite reach each side so it provides for some gas exchange during the process. My goal is to start with an 8 hr photo period and go from there.
- As far as inhabitants go I would like to have a small school of fish along with shrimp but I haven't gotten that far yet. I've already made acquaintance with a snail whilst preparing the grass so he might have brought friends we will just have to see.
- further upgrades will include canister filter, possible upgrade of lighting, and a possible diffuser if I can't stand to remember dosing.

Anyways that's a very rough intro for now. Enjoy the pictures and feel free to let me know advise, comments, or compliments!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1452583417868.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	573498  

Name:	image_1452583434462.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	573506  

Name:	image_1452583457129.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	573514  

Name:	image_1452583472011.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	573522  

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru
That's a good start. What kind of rock are you using?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Thanks! I did some research after the post last night and it is seiryu stone that I bought ages ago.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Week 2
We got a runner! Well one at least. So following up from my last post there is some progress. From my research over the week it seems that the first few weeks really makes or breaks a rookie in this hobby. I have to confess there have been thoughts of just flooding the thing and hope that jump starts something, but cooler heads will prevail!
As far as all the technicalities go the humidity looks great. I don't have a gauge to see how humid it is, but visibly it's looking good. I am using tank water from another tank that has been running for a year that has other fish in it. I'm misting 3 times a day. I've just switched my photo period from ~10 hrs to 12 hrs and leaving a gap for gas exchange for about 15 to 30 min every night.
I guess my only question is if I am doing alright. Any advise, critiques, or comments are always helpful. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2613.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	578017  

Name:	IMG_2615.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	578025  

Name:	IMG_2614.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	578033  

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
A little late for week, but some big changes. One group has some runners going strong, but I changed up my layout. When I first ordered the DHG I was expecting it at the end of the week I posted this journal. To my surprise I was was blessed with a responsible seller who some how got it to my door 5 days early. As a result everything was planted in a bit of a rush. So this past weekend I took the time this hobby demands and broke the clumps I originally had into smaller group whilst cleaning the roots even more for better growth. My only concern is how long will it be before any new growth is seen if any. From research I know that carpet seems to really explode after filling the tank and they get used to their new submersed environment. I feel that I just have to continue fighting the urge to flood this thing and see what happens. If anyone has any advise or words of encouragement it is all greatly appreciated. I'm also looking to change my lighting set up. I currently have one 6700k and one 10,000k light running ~13 hours. I think this weekend I am going to get another 6700k for comfort's sake if my LFS has one. Other than that the grind continues! Misting 3 times a day with short gas exchanges in the evening. Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2625.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	582249  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode