Jeffrey's "Little Man" -ADA 60-P - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Very nice! I just love seeing a nice clean installation, almost more than the mature tank itself.
Yeah, it looks really impressive sitting in my living room at the moment...too bad I'll have to go and mess it up in a few hours with a bunch of dirt and plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
very clean setup should be one to watch
Thanks! This is the first tank I've set up with thorough plan, so I've trimmed the fat and planned out the stand to maximize my usage of space. I just need to get a roll of twist ties so I can pull all the AC wires out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:20 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this journal. I hope I see one for the 120 as well .

post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
... I hope I see one for the 120 as well .

Slow progress on that one, but plumbing is on the drawing board, should be order parts by next Monday at the latest.
post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Good progress you got here... What size of pvc T split and Heyco cordgrip you used here? I'm also planning to get rid of my probe inside the tank and make it inline with my pump...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
A modicum of progress.

post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanzer22 View Post
Good progress you got here... What size of pvc T split and Heyco cordgrip you used here? I'm also planning to get rid of my probe inside the tank and make it inline with my pump...

The PVC tee is 1" slip, with 1/2" NPT for the cord grip. I wanted plenty of volume so that the probe wouldn't slow things down too much.

The cord drip is 1/2" NPT. I'd have to measure the actual cord grip end, I forget exactly which one I have. Mine fits very snug. If you measure the pH probe, that is basically the maximum width of my cordgrip fitting. It was very snug getting it in.
post #21 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cool... I'll make a stop at Home Depot later today and look for the cordgrip... Thanks for the info!

Quote:
The PVC tee is 1" slip, with 1/2" NPT for the cord grip. I wanted plenty of volume so that the probe wouldn't slow things down too much.

The cord drip is 1/2" NPT. I'd have to measure the actual cord grip end, I forget exactly which one I have. Mine fits very snug. If you measure the pH probe, that is basically the maximum width of my cordgrip fitting. It was very snug getting it in.
post #22 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanzer22 View Post
Cool... I'll make a stop at Home Depot later today and look for the cordgrip... Thanks for the info!

I've never looked at home depot for a liquid tight cordgrip....they might have them. I know a lot of people get them straight from Heyco, or go through the website to find a local retailer.
post #23 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Small update:

Irregardless (yes, I know it's not a word, but that's irregardless) of the reason, my Ecco is busted. I'm taking it back for a Classic. This will likely involve store credit and ordering online, so I probably won't have it until next week.
post #24 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:45 PM
The Circumloctioner

Bummer. Going for the 2215 or 2217?
post #25 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hmmm, I'll check online if I don't find anything at HD...

Quote:
I've never looked at home depot for a liquid tight cordgrip....they might have them. I know a lot of people get them straight from Heyco, or go through the website to find a local retailer.
post #26 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post
Bummer. Going for the 2215 or 2217?

2217. The 2236 was just about perfect flow for my setup...but if anything, a bit more would be nice. Petco has the 2217 for $160 free shipping right now.
post #27 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
2217. The 2236 was just about perfect flow for my setup...but if anything, a bit more would be nice. Petco has the 2217 for $160 free shipping right now.

Well, I returned the pump, got store credit, and wouldn't you know it: petco.com is out of the 2217. I got a lead on a good deal on ebay, but at the moment I've got a 2028 on it I had lying around. I jam packed it FULL of filter floss and other media, and surprisingly, it's NOT too much flow. Actually, if I were to keep using it, I'd have to pull out some of that media to get the flow rate up to what I wanted. It takes up all the extra space I had in my cabinet, but if I can think of something else I want at petco for $160, I may just keep using it.
post #28 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
A modicum of progress.

I put together the manifold I'll be using for the inline pH probe and the co2 injection.

Water flows from left to right, first hitting the pH probe mounting using the handy dandy Heyco liquide tight cordgrip, and then onto the co2 injection. I'm using an irrigation drip connection. Great little bit of plumbing. If you've never used one, it's perfect for this. You slide in your 1/4" line, then give it just a little tug, and it seals up around it like a chinese finger trap.

Had to make do with a couple of fittings from the local Ace Hardware(so much quicker than driving out of the way to Home Depot) so I'm gonna have to let the PVC glue seal up.
Hey Jeffery,
One trick I got from Steve Colley helped with my in-line pH probe. It turns out you pull the probe more than you think. Steve put a 1/2 ball valve between the Heyco fitting and the tee. This allows you to pull the probe out and shut the valve to stop leaks. I have been really happy with this modification.

Bill
post #29 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb View Post
Hey Jeffery,
One trick I got from Steve Colley helped with my in-line pH probe. It turns out you pull the probe more than you think. Steve put a 1/2 ball valve between the Heyco fitting and the tee. This allows you to pull the probe out and shut the valve to stop leaks. I have been really happy with this modification.

Bill
It's funny you mention that....I installed it, filled it up for a test run, and immediately realized I had no way to to easily pull the pH probe for calibrating.......

When I drain it tomorrow to scape, that's on the to do list.
post #30 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ok....rather busy weekend, but I put together a little something:

Hardscape:

I moved the rocks just a bit during that actual scaping. Those stones are collected form the Eel River near the Humboldt Redwords in Northern California.

Scape:

Dry fill:

Pretty much all of the plants came from Phil Edwards. I shoved in a bunch of stems and other fast growers to get the cycle started. I need to tweak things a bit before a full tank shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode