The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ambitious 2 tank system with fish bridge and foam rock aquascape *New pics 5-4-11

166K views 399 replies 138 participants last post by  AquaAurora 
#1 · (Edited)

I had been thinking for a long time about setting up 2 tanks, a few feet apart with a tube connecting the tanks that the fish could use to travel back and forth between the tanks. My step-daughter recently got married and I was given permission from my better half to turn one of our bedrooms (no longer needed as a bedroom) into a "man-cave". So my plan was to get an "L" shaped desk to use in a corner of the room and set up a tank on each "wing" of the desk. The tube will go across the middle of the desk over my computer monitor. I have purchased 2 tanks used, that I was told were 40 and 50 gallons but using a formula I found and plugging in the inner measurements, they're 27 and 33 gallons. I'm not sure, though, because they look a whole lot bigger than my 20 long.
Another aspect of this system is that I'm planning on running a water supply that will trickle in about a gallon a day of fresh water for about a 7 gallon a week automatic water change. I have a HOB overflow that will drain off the overflow from the water supply.
The aquascape is created with lace rock attached to an eggcrage (drop ceiling flourescent light diffuser) framework, with the gaps filled in with expanding foam. The foam is then painted with 2 part finishing exopy and sprinkled with sand to make it look like rock. I have used this technique with 3 previous reef tanks and 1 previous planted tank and was very pleased with the results.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The lighting is from 2 AquaticLife T5 fixtures that have 3 built in timers for 2 different sets of bulbs (daylight and actinic for reef tanks) and LED moonlights. The actinic bulbs have been replaced with 6700K bulbs.
The filter is a Marineland 350 Pro canister filter with a Hydor in line heater. The output from the filter, after passing through the in-line heater, is directed to one tank at a time using a SCWD therefore creating an alternating flow through the fish bridge. The fish bridge is made from 2" square tubing, cut at each end on a 45 degree angle, then glued back together forming a u shaped tube 40" long with 8" downtubes going in to each tank.
I'll have some pics to post later today with what I've done so far. The hardscape of the bigger of the 2 tanks is essentially done. The tube is done. I will be starting on the aquascaping of the 2nd tank in the next day or so.

#3 ·
Here's tank #1 with the eggcrate frame in place.

This end is where the tube enters the tank for the fish bridge. The little walls in the foreground are the front of what will be raised planting areas.

This part will conceal the filter intake and output.

Beginning the "foaming in" process.

#8 ·
WoW! This is awsome! I cant wait to see it finished!

#9 ·
Thanks, Jake and CL.
Here's a pic of the fish bridge. I had just applied the vinyl background. There are small lips on each end of the tube because I plan on having about 1/4" of substrate on the bottom and I don't want it to get washed out the ends of the tube with the current.

This pic was taken on the desk. You can see the 2x10 re-enforcement I built under the desk to support the tanks.

#15 ·
The rocks are not covered up. The foam is used just to fill in the gaps between the rocks.

borat would say
This is really impressive :)
your rock building is giving me ideas for my hexagon tank..hmmm
Thanks.

a guy at loaches online has a multi tank bridge thingy

I d like to know how this this "weathers" long term as id like to the same for my loach tank
Newshound, if you could post a link, I'd really appreciate it. I researched the web about connecting tanks like this and there wasn't a whole lot out there.
I have a reef tank with this stuff that's been up and running for over 2 years without any problem. This technique has been used for a while now with the SW crowd.

Fishbreath,

great idea. And great setup for the journal. Thanks for taking the time to lay it out on such detail. Looking forward to seeing it progress. Great work.

AB
Thanks, AB.

#17 ·
Ok I can't believe I haven't checked this until now but I just googled standard tank sizes. These tanks are a 30 gallon standard and a 40 long. Lighting for the 30 gallon is 2 39 watt 10,000K and 2 39 watt 6700K bulbs. They are set up as 2 sets of 10,000k and 6700K so I can run one set at a time or both at the same time. The 40 is set up the same but with 54 watt bulbs.

This is the built in triple timer. I really like these fixtures!!

#19 ·
I didn't paint the rocks with epoxy - they already look like rocks :icon_bigg
I paint the foam. When it dries, even I can't tell where the rock ends and the foam begins.

I agree - would be awesome for cichlids. In fact, I'm sure it's been done for cichlids already

#25 · (Edited)
I moved the tank into its final resting place and added the substrate. The substrate is a bottom layer of pea gravel, just to take up space. Next is a layer of Laterite, then Flourite red. The middle is sand - no plans for plants there.

Here's a pic with tank #2 and the fish bridge in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.