The Doctor's 29g (56k) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking kind of cool! One might be a bit concerned that hairgrass would take over the "marselia" ... but it's all good for now.

That stuff in the front right corner will look pretty nice when it's filled in.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know exactly what you mean about the hairgrass encroaching, seds. I've actually been thinking about that for a while now, but had been too lazy to do anything about it because of the fact that no runners had yet made it across the gap. You finally motivated me to put a little plastic divider in there.

But the real update has nothing to do with the plants, which are all taking their sweet time growing.

I finally got some fishes! Last Friday, actually. It was pretty exciting. My girlfriend wanted to help pick them out, so we took a trip to the LFS, where we proceeded to spend 45-60 minutes debating which little guys would be best. Long story short, the decision was a school of harlequin rasboras. Cliche in a planted tank, maybe, but for a reason. Plus, nobody I know has any idea what they are, or is into planted tanks, or has seen them, so they'll still be new to future tank viewers. I picked up five to start out my school, with more coming. Also we found some great looking juvenile blue rams, and I couldn't resist bringing one home. They're obviously very attractive fish, and I think when the little guy grows up he'll be a nice centerpiece. He loves the grass, and is now becoming more confident in his new home, with what color he has showing more and more.

PS
I say he, but the ram is actually female.

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current ADA Mini L Journal
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright guys I made yet another fish run, and about doubled what I had. I picked up another six rasboras, and a male ram to provide the female with some companionship. They don't really seem to like each other. Everybody seem happy and healthy, but the now 11 rasboras just don't like to school. They just spread throughout the tank in a fishy cloud. Anybody have any idea why? Would maybe a few more encourage a school? Is my tank too small? To big? They would look much nicer all together...

post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright, I took everyone's advice regarding the rasboras and did exactly that: nothing. And it seems to have helped too. They don't school constantly, but it's increasing. I also made it to the LFS again, braving the post-winter-storm roads, and got myself four otos. I love the little guys. They've been in the tank a little over four hours, and have been happily munching at my diatoms.

Anyway, I got out my crummy camera and took some pictures. At the very least I'll track the tanks slow progress, and let me compare after CO2 is added (Soon!). No fishy ones, though, as the pictures came out all blurry and would have just been annoying to post. Here they are:

The marsilea is a little diatom covered, makes it look less impressive. But it has been making progress. And, you can see oto tracks on the rock.

Growing a little.

Thickening up some.

FTS. The water isn't as green-looking as the blurry picture makes it seem. And it's brown, when you look at it against a white background. Water changes have been slowly clearing it up.

So that's that. Not real exciting pictorial progress, but I've been pleased. Nothing has died, and growth has been at least noticeable. Comments, suggestions, criticisms, are of course welcome.

post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:51 AM
Algae Grower

The plants have definitely grown, that hair grass really took off and without CO2 I think thats fantastic! I love how you are using different plants in each corner. Do you have any other updates? I'd like to see what the tank looks like with the corners filled in more.
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

Looks cool!! I like the hairgrass and the hill in the left back corner. I have 5 Harlequin Rasboras in my 29 as well.
post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks a lot rengb6. I thought it was a cool idea too, and I'm a fan of grasslike plants. Plus marsilea is fun. In my mind the blyxa would have grown quite a bit more, and formed a bit of a bush on that hill up five or so inches. As it is only about three of the stems are doing well an growing steadily. I'd post a picture if it was worth it, but the hairgrass is the only thing making speedy progress. I'd like to see it with the corners filled in more too.

As for updates...I'm going pressurized! I finally got all my stuff in and need to get it set up. I decided on the GLA CO2 regulator (from GLA, obviously), and it's fantastic. Their customer service is top notch as well, as I found out due to a little mishap the day the regulator arrived. And by the way, I went for a 20 pound cylinder. That's right, 20 pounds. It should last me a good while. I just need to get it filled. It's all very exciting.

And you have great taste, lisa_v. Hairgrass makes an amazing foreground, in my opinion. I'm a fan of the way it sways a bit in the current. Eventually I'd like to try an Iwagumi 'scape with hairgrass only, but that's neither here nor there. Also, harlequins are certainly nice little fish. The GBR's I've got in there too are doing well, but the bulbs I have don't do much for there color, which is unfortunate.

Last edited by Dr. Acula; 01-13-2010 at 02:13 AM.
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Picture update:

Sorry for the blurry pics, I lost my camera, which is itself less than fantastic, so these are all taken with a camcorder.

post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 AM
Algae Grower

looks good it also look like your diatom algae went away
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup, thanks Nskylinerb-25, after adding the four otos the diatoms were under control in about a day or two. It looks much better without the brown patches all over everything, I think. Algae hasn't really been terrible in this tank, I'm happy to say. I've got a bit growing here and there, but nothing that looks too bad.

And, it's been only a few days since the setup of my pressurized CO2 system, which is awesome, by the way, and the plants all seem to be responding really well. The marsilea's growth has picked up and some new leaves are being sent up. The hairgrass is doing well, though nothing new. The blyxa seems to be growing better, and looking nicer, too, but the ends of the leaves kind of get brownish and ratty looking. They kind of curl down at the end a good bit too. I'm assuming it's a deficiency of some kind, though I can't tell what. I've got my dry ferts from GLA to tinker with, but if someone could point me in the right direction?

post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Algae Grower

take a look at this link this might help you out a bit
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...y-diagram.html
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the link!! I am going to use that in my presentation on a planted tank for a college course I have.
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

from Dracula's country we salute the doctor!
I love that tank!
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is a useful link, Nskylinerb-25, thanks. I knew I had seem something like that around before. Based on that, and charts I've seen like it, my best guess would be maybe a lack of phosphate? Regardless, I've started EI dosing since Monday, and things seem to be doing better. The blyxa looks a little better, and growth everywhere has relatively exploded. As much as the growth of plants in four days can be considered "an explosion".

Hehe, thanks mumushummus, I always appreciate compliments. I really think that the corners filling in will be necessary to fulfill the picture I had in my mind when I started this tank though. If you guys could all see the picture in my head right now, you'd be blown away. Or at least you'd agree it's nice looking.

PS: Marsilea loves CO2. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, because it would be a lie. Sure, it can get by without it, but since adding it, the stuff has finally started to make real progress, after forever of me seeming to just be slowly killing it.

PSS: Since adding CO2, as well as my plants enjoying the change, my water clouded up. Its a white milkiness. I checked against a white cup too, just to make sure it's not algae. Is there anything this could be besides a bacterial bloom? Anything I can do about it? Does it normally happen after adding pressurized CO2? It's kinda annoying after finally getting some purigen and clearing up my water from the brown muck I get some other color muck.

Thanks!

post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright, I'm an idiot. I don't mean to be, but I just cannot help it.

I was being good, and doing my first weekly 50% water change, just like EI tells me too. I successfully got the water drained out of my window, easy peasy lemon squeezy. I had replaced half of it already, too, when the bucket I was lifting up to the rim slipped, spilling a few gallons of water all over the floor of my room. Everything got splashed, I jumped to unplug all of my expensive electrical equipment (which fortunately all survived without an issue) and then I smacked myself. It took forever to mop up and wipe off, and I needed to vent. The only fatality was a power strip that got wet enough so as I no longer trust it, but it wasn't a fun experience. I shudder to think of how much worse it could have been - water and electrical gadgetry plugged into walls and power strips don't mix.

Moral: be careful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode