First planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First planted tank

Well, not really my first, but the first one with plants other than Egeria densa and java fern that have grown like crazy for me no matter what the conditions.

Size: 10 gallons

Plants: Nymphoides aquatica, Ludwigia repens, Vallisneria americana

Fauna: a very small species of ramshorn and Physa sp. pond snails; I'm probably going to end up using this tank as a Heterandria formosa and Cambarus shufeldtii breeding tank to feed my future Umbra species.

The following plants are on the way (not all going in the 10 gallon, BTW) : Ricciocarpus natans, Polygonum hydropiper, Juncus pelocarpus, Eriocaulon aquaticum , Potamogeton richardsonii, Potamageton sp., Polygonum amphibium, Elodea canadensis, 3 different Eleocharis sp, Nymphaea odorata Aiton, Lemna sp, Wolffia, Riccia fluitans, Utricularia sp, and Cabomba caroliniana

I know some of them are really not that interesting, like duckweed and elodea, but I like them and that's what matters. :P

First two pics are of one of the Corbicula clams collected from my creek. Third is of some Nymphoides aquatica I recently bought from my LFS, and the last one is a FTS with the banana lily, Vallsineria americana, and wild collected Ludwigia repens. The gravel for this tank was collected from my creek and has some sand and "muck" mixed in, which has proven to help plants grow for me in the past when I used it in my 100 gallon pond.

Sorry for writing a book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5577.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	16310  

Name:	DSCF5584.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	16311  

Name:	DSCF5615.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	16312  

Name:	DSCF5628.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	16313  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Honeycomb Master

Nice start, fishlvr!
Can we see a FTS (full tank shot)?

I really like those clams. Do they uproot any of your plants?

What type of lighting do you have? Filtration?

Keep us updated on your progress!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

i love the banana plant!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments.

The clams haven't uprooted any plants yet, and I have never really had that problem with them in the past. They usually move around the first day or two, then pick a spot and stay there.

As far as wattage, I have no clue. I found the bulb on one of my old hoods that didn't work any more. I don't have any filteration because of the three clams. They filter feed and collect debris and microorganisms, which a filter would take out of the water, and they would eventually starve to death. Since they stay under the gravel most of the time, I wouldn't know if one died and it would likely cause a pretty big ammonia spike.

I'll update with some more pics tomorrow when my new plants come in. I'm definitely planning on putting some of the Riccia and Eriocaulon in there, and possibly some of the Potamogeton. Not sure if I'm going to put the Elodea in there, but I'll probably end up putting the Cabomba and Utricularia in it. Who knows. Haha.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some more pics First is an Eleocharis sp, then Cabomba, and (probably) a Potamogeton that sprouted. I've had these come up before from substrate collected from my creek.
Attached Images

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

More pics. First a FTS. Then a really bad picture of the Ricciocarpus, and last but not least, a couple of my mudminnows
Attached Images

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oops, I forgot to post pics of my Utricularia and the other Potamogeton
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm still kind of unsure of where I'm going to put everything, but I'm just gonna leave it like this for now. I'm thinkin about putting my Eriocaulon aquaticum in the back right hand corner, but I ain't sure yet. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear em.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode