New fish! - Tanganyika Shoreline 50G Riparium - Page 45 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #661 of 780 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 780 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hey thanks for that link!

I have seen a lot of those pictures of his here and there.
post #663 of 780 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I found baby Thoricthys eliioti in here last night! This is the first time I have seen reproduction from these fish.

I don't think they will last very long. It looks like the Synodontis already ate about half of them last night.
post #664 of 780 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm replanting this thing! I pulled out the palms and other big riparium plants. Tanks look so much bigger empty. This one looks like a hundred gallons now.

I'll get pictures up soon.
post #665 of 780 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here it is all emptied out. I will miss those cat palms, but it's nice to be able to see into the underwater portion again. That potted plant to the left is the Spathiphyllum phryniifolium that I had growing in the tank.

post #666 of 780 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Great hardscape in this tank...

post #667 of 780 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

And here are the Pleioblastus fortunei bamboo that I potted up. It will be interesting to see what they do in here.

They suffered a bit after transplanting and I had to cut off a few stems that were shriveling up, but all of the remaining foliage looks good. It will be interesting to see how this plant grows.

I want to use this as the main background plant. I wish that it didn't have this white variegation. If these start to grow well I might try to track down the solid green version of the same plant.

Most bamboos are upland forest plants and you wouldn't expect them to do well in a permanently wet riparium situation, but I have found several references to growing P. fortunei as a pond plant. I hope that it will grow in here.
post #668 of 780 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It was just published! I have another new magazine article based on a planting in this tank, the planting that I just took down with the cat palms and other tall plants.

This one appears in the July 2012 Issue #3 Aquarium International, the online magazine for iPad and with downloadable pdf's. Download the current issue with my article right here...

PDF Issues - Aquarium International the Freshwater Magazine

My article starts on page 67.

Cheers!

post #669 of 780 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The Lasia spinosa has a spathe on it! This is so exciting! I have had it outside in a container pond since I replanted this tank. I just noticed the developing spathe tonight. It is only about 12" tall, so it's going to be a while (probably a month or more) before it opens.

I'll try to get a picture tomorrow; the picture below is an old one. Right now I'm having some camera & computer problems.

[/QUOTE]
post #670 of 780 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very Cool!!!

Amazing what some outdoor time will do.
post #671 of 780 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It was growing steadily and it probably would have grown the spathe if I kept it in the tank too, but it was just getting too large. The longest of the new leaves is almost six feet tall!

I wish I had a tropical greenhouse with a pond so that I could keep growing it like this. I think I will just cut the rhizome up after it blooms so I can get more plants going. I bet the I can cut the rhizome into four separate pieces. It's about 18" long.
post #672 of 780 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Returning. Videotapes.

Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Geeze Devin! That's awesome!!!

Any update on the how the bamboo is doing? How fast does it grow like that?
post #673 of 780 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Don. Yes the (true!) bamboo is growing. It just sat there for while, but just in the last week or so I started seeing new roots and several new shoots. I'll try to get an update picture or two.

The tank doesn't look like much right now. It is just crammed with plants as growout and that oversized (huge!) Lasia spinosa is in there too. I really need to clean up the whole thing; it's right in our living room.
post #674 of 780 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The Lasia spinosa spathe is starting to open already! It is really freaky looking, purple with green spots. I gotta get picture of it later on.
post #675 of 780 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here it is! And it's already starting to open. I need to get set up to take some good studio photographs of it when it opens.

After this spathe is done I am going to chop up the rhizome and start four or five new L. spinosa plants.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode