New fish! - Tanganyika Shoreline 50G Riparium - Page 40 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #586 of 780 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Yep I have had a lot of fun with this tank.

I took those pictures. Jake Jung (aka RipariumGuy) wrote the article.

What do you mean by wires? Holding what together?
I figured you took the photos and they would be sent with the article but under the photo it says "photographer Devin Biggs"

Never mind on any wire, but thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #587 of 780 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yep I am Devin Biggs.

I really need to get some more halfway-decent pictures of setups. I have run out of extra ones to use for magazine articles. But these tanks are so time-consuming to get ready for picture-taking what can I do?!
post #588 of 780 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

*ahem* Pay for gas and I'll come down and clean your tanks for you.... It would be an honor!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu
The Jake-arium
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #589 of 780 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Picked up my copy today and there is a nice photo and small bio of Jacob Jung on page 8 and I have tet to read the article but the photos look nice, all 5.

Nice job and I'll have a full report tomorrow, btw the mag comes wraped in plastic to prevent tight butts like me from getting a free look while perched in the Barnes & Nobels so if you want one it's only $5 and there are some other intersting stuff too.
post #590 of 780 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Planted Member

I'm going to have to buy a copy of that on the way home tomo.
post #591 of 780 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just finished the article and you guys did a good job at creating a beautiful riparium, then taking some great photographs, and writing a very informative article that makes you want to run out and buy some supplies, plants, & fish to try and build your own. I'll have to be truthful I had no idea that you guys are so young and way before I knew I had been referring folks at other forums & here to you guys for help with ripariums or any other emersed setup. I want to commend you both for a job well done and I also posted this on one of Jakes threads the you guys should be very proud in a job well done and have set the bar high for your peers (and me) what great accomplishment at any age but I may be reading the "Tropical Riparium Hobbyist" one day with you guys writing the editors note, but your both gonna have to grow a long white beard first.

Nice Job!!!!! Oh, and only 20 pages from Takashi Amano's article so your already rubbing elbows with the best in the business.
post #592 of 780 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hey thanks a bunch! I didn't really do much work on the article I just dug up some image files from a while ago, so Jake deserves the credit for pulling it together.

I think that Jake is a young dude, but I am an old man.

They seem modest, but it is so time-consuming to produce articles like that. Ideally there would be an article about ripariums in every issue because there is a lot of information and ideas to convey.
post #593 of 780 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have two new favorite plants...

Google: Dypsis paludosa

Google: Ravenea hildebrandtii

I got nice potted specimens of these about 12" tall and they are looking seriously great in this tank. The riparium layout has a really bold dramatic tropical look with these and the other plants.

I gotta clean the tank up so I can get some new pictures.
post #594 of 780 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 04:46 AM
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Here's one more quick view...

I gotta take some time tonight for some more serious pictures. When it grows in a bit more I am going to get video too. The fish in here are really great.
Hey Devin, sorry to quote an old picture but i see that the rafts that the Pilea grandifolia are planted in are basically submerged. Should mine be like this as well? Right now they're basically just floating on the surface of the water.

post #595 of 780 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Hey Devin, sorry to quote an old picture but i see that the rafts that the Pilea grandifolia are planted in are basically submerged. Should mine be like this as well? Right now they're basically just floating on the surface of the water.
Philip, It doesn't really matter so much. I usually have them so that they are about even with the water level. While the plants are still growing in the trellis rafts can be more conspicuous and if you want to take pictures you can add a bit more water to cover them up.

This tank has been a mess with lots of extra plants that I have been holding in it. Tonight I might get a chance to start fixing it up again. I have some very nice plant specimens going in it. I have been having especially good results with some of these new palm species that I have been trying out.
post #596 of 780 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I made some headway on this one tonight. I am using the cat palm (Chamaedorea cataractarum) as the main background plant and it is giving me a real nice effect. I'll get pictures when the dusts settles.
post #597 of 780 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This particular shot is from a while ago but the Lasia spinosa has another new leaf coming on it. This now makes five new leaves since I got. The planter is full of roots too. This plant is growing better than I expected.

post #598 of 780 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Algae Grower

That Lasia in the picture really intrigues me -- when I Google Imaged it, it seems to have as many leaf forms as an Amorphophallus. And USDA's GRIN (Germplasm Resources Information Network) says it is used medicinally (cough, parturition, stomachache, etc.) and as a vegetable. Do you know anything about its use as a food?

BTW the cat palm is a beautiful plant, I definitely recommend it to anyone who'll listen.
post #599 of 780 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

very nice pic Devin. I think if I ever had this riparium i'd be tempted to do the sides as well to give you the more nature in a tank look imo. overall I love how the plants overhang a bit and make it look more natural.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #600 of 780 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

great riperium, i just had an idea which could look kool, using a cube tank in a corner planting both sides which are up against a wall. this way you could hide the inlet/outlet aswell.

just a thought.

http://www.youtube.com/user/fishingnerd36?feature=mhee

sunsun pimp #62

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tranq...2603914?ref=hl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode