The Planted Tank Forum banner

Emersed Madness

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  kalan850 
#1 ·
My inspiration for this build is a 20 long aquascape I am setting up titled "Micro world". It is going to be planted primarily with anubias and moss.

That being said, anubias is a very slow grower and in order to speed things along I am building this awesome emersed setup [emoji38]

It all started with a leaky 10g tank I had lying around and an idea... Doesn't it always happen this way lol.

I resealed the tank and painted 3 sides of it white... Until I ran out of white then went with a lite tan. Turned out quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Just received both the hydroponic pots

And the anubias (petite, Bart)

The pots are surprisingly good quality and the openings seem to be small enough the soil I fill them with should stay inside.
Ordered the anubias on Amazon... Had no idea you could do that. The plants look very healthy.
Everything is coming together [emoji2]

#4 ·
Alright today cut the acrylic to size for a lid and drilled holes for co2 tubing, air line tubing, and heater cord. I was able to use the scrap to make a table to lift the plants closer to the light and I can have a larger volume of water. Seem to have some bowing in the lid... Hmmm not good....
I'm going to have to modify it with some type of weights on the four corners or something. Any advice let me know.
Objectives:
Mod lid for better seal
Install acrylic table
Install air stone
Plant them pots!
Diy co2

Eventually I plan to make another batch of Apple wine [emoji43] in doing so I will kill 2 birds with one stone by using the biproduct of the wine(co2) to benefit my system. From a 3 liter bottle to a bubble counter and then straight into the system. Fun stuff [emoji1]

#5 ·
Update! Today i squeezed in time to work on this project. Heh found that a wooden skewer works great as a kick stand for the lid. Pulled the net pots out. Siphoned most of the dirt/sediment from the bottom of the tank. Installed the scrap acrylic table. Planted anubias and some random crypts. Looked like the leaves were drying fast so I sprayed a few times. Curious tho considering in order to spray I let all the humidity out...the table brings the plants up real high. So high that one of the barteri leaves is about an 1/8" away from the lid. Hopefully it will encourage horizontal growth [emoji3]
Here is how she turned out

Planning on getting a humidity monitor soon.

#6 ·
Ideas: possibly add some substrate from my 75 to cycle the water. Add micro tiny little diy sponge filter.
Add small stone cave formation. Then a blue crawfish!!!! Lol or maybe shrimp!!!! Or maybe... What do you think???

Roughly 5 gallons of water in the system.

#10 ·
@ Mitashade
From what I've read about anubias, that can happen. I've never covered the rhizome so I've never experienced rot. Only the roots are in the substrate. Also anubias are perfect candidates. It's been done many time over with great success [emoji2]

#12 ·
As expected there are some leaves drying out.... bummer but it's part of the transformation...
I have sprayed the hole system down twice today.
Still throwing ideas around on what to put in there livestock wise. Some submersible lights would be nice to grow plants underneath also!

What type of shrimp would you suggest?

#13 ·
Instead of misting, why not have a humidifier supply the required moisture into the system? Put it on a timer, and go from there?

#15 ·
Happy Thanksgiving!
Everything is doing great. Only melting going on is from a couple of crypts which are notorious for doing so and then bouncing back. Just a waiting game now. Just a bit of maintenance here and there..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.