The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mystical Mountains Journal

64K views 303 replies 52 participants last post by  AquaAurora 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

So recently I had ordered my custom tank through Concept Aquariums and picked it up through King Ed Pets, very happy with it, in hindsight should have made it 40" long instead of 36" long for a even more panaromic aquascape.

36" x 13" x 14.5"

Originally I wanted to put my bonzai wood but now I'm not too sure. Also got finnex planted+ 24/7 light.

Sleek!

The controls

The structure on the right is going to be my waterfall. For the left side I was originally going to either get manten/sansui/koke rock but it's sooo crazy expensive that I gave up those type of rocks.

Then I went to a landscaping supply warehouse on marine way and got these two big rocks instead, they were labelled San Juan pond rock, total weight of these two rocks was 25lbs @ 16 cents per lb, plus tax = $4.48 only! ! Cheapest stones I have ever bought, not counting the ones I got from mother nature :) Compared to manten rock though, of the same weight will be like $200+ !

A little concerned about the weight of the rocks but I think should be okay, what do you guys think? Is the weight too much for the tank to be unsafe?

This is my hardscape so far, I'm trying to make a mountain scenery that I saw when travelling in taiwan, possibly a pathway, a waterfall. Don't know if I should still put the bonzai tree.

Suggestions and comments welcomed!

[emoji1]

See less See more
Reactions: Aqua Hero
#3 ·
Thanks! Yes low growing plants for sure, maybe UG or monte carlo for the front.

Okay that's good to know, I was a little concerned with the weight :)

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have never had problems with a lot of rock. I always do the same as you with the eggcrate or foam to eliminate any pressure points on the bottom glass. I currently have 400 pounds of rock in my 120p all resting on eggcrate. Just make sure your eggcrate isn't pushed up against the front glass that way it will not be visible when you add substrate.

Are you going to do a sandfall?

#5 ·
400lbs?!!! That's a crazy amount! Okay I'm not going to be worried about my rocks then :)

Yup a sandfall and also a pathway.

#6 · (Edited)
Update 2015.11.21

I've done quite a lot this weekend, decided to cut off part of the structure to make it look more natural instead of a square edged mountain. Had to get some acrylic paint to patch up the whites.

Then I siliconed the painted structure to the glass so that it won't float up and started to fill some substrate to make a slope on the left side behind the rocks.

Added some yamana stones that I got for pretty cheap, just needed a few anyway, to join the mountain to make it look more natural.

Then I proceeded to make my path, I went to Michael's crafts hunting for supplies I could make a path with, I needed it to be maleable yet hard enough to keep the two kinds of substrate from mixing.

Found some soft clear plastic but it was way too soft for my liking, plus it couldn't make a nice curve. Hard plastic won't work either so I didn't get that either. My wife then suggested why not polymer clay? It is non toxic, maleable when kneeded, and after baking will become hard. Thanks wifey, that was a great suggestion! Even had 50% off coupon!

After lots of kneeding and folding, I rolled it out and cut to size I wanted.

Then flattening and shaping the path I wanted, as the path goes to the back it gets progressively higher as well.

As I was shaping the black polymer clay, and taking it out of the tank, this was tricky, because it was soft and long, it just de-shaped and no longer the shape I wanted it to be, so I had to trace the path on parchment paper and then take the clay out and follow the tracing on the patchment paper, this took me quite some time.

And ready to bake! 275 degrees Farenheit for 20 minutes and let cool. As it cools it hardens. It holds very well and I'm very satisfied with how sturdy it is.
Beige sand added, complimentary from Fuguman, thanks!

ADA ammonia substrate added

View from sofa, usually I'll sit here most of the time

Should I add the bonzai tree? It seems rather large for the mountains, or maybe I should push it down the substrate to make it look smaller?

One main concern I have now is when water is filled the ADA soil tends to leach out black water, before putting the substrate in I've already washed the substrate a few times partly to take away the black water and partly to remove some ammonia to speed it up a little. But I think there will be still quite some black water and that might make the beige sand darker.

Thanks for looking and reading! Comments and suggestions always welcomed!

#7 ·
The structure on the right is going to be my waterfall. For the left side I was originally going to either get manten/sansui/koke rock but it's sooo crazy expensive that I gave up those type of rocks.

Then I went to a landscaping supply warehouse on marine way and got these two big rocks instead, they were labelled San Juan pond rock, total weight of these two rocks was 25lbs @ 16 cents per lb, plus tax = $4.48 only!

A little concerned about the weight of the rocks but I think should be okay, what do you guys think? Is the weight too much for the tank to be unsafe?
I think in time it will cause a problem with your stand. For the side supports are not on the edge of the tank. Also you should have more support in the middle. Perhaps you can add some support inside the cabinet. Also when you put your hand in the tank to move things around some water will get on the wood of the stand. I ruined an oak bookcase with a 10g tank on top of it with the drops of water.

Love your idea on how to separate the sand. I saved in a folder. Can't wait to see how you make you waterfall. Just wonder if the water movement will move some of the substrate. I want to know more about it. If it doesn't work check out this allusion of a waterfall.

#9 ·
You have a good point regarding the tank not at the edge of the stand where it is strongest. I'll go to home depot and get some pine and reinforce it inside the cabinet.

Hmm the water going to the wood will be less of a problem for me as I always drain some water before putting hands in the tank, and put the water back after.

Yup I'm also interested to see if water movement will move the sand, definitely some loaches like a weather loach will ruin the path, so not getting them :)

Thanks for the link!

#11 ·
White sand :) though that might take awhile as I'm planning to dry start the plants and let them root first.

#12 ·
Update 2015.11.22 - checking out my finnex 24/7 planted+

At sunny setting

At moonlight setting, too bright for a moonlight in my opinion, luckily I can play with the settings and make it less bright.

#14 ·
Thanks very much! [emoji1] I'm not too sure yet, probably mini pellia / coral moss on the rocks. Not really sure what plants to put behind the rocks though, maybe some red colour plants that stay small?

If you have any ideas that would be great too!

#15 ·
Update 2015.11.23:

I sprayed all the rocks with water, the left side rocks turn quite a lot darker when wet, making it more similar to the right side.

The bonzai driftwood that I took out is currently in a bucket full of water floating, as soon as it sinks I'll be able to use it. The main concern is the tree being too big and is not proportionate to the mountains, I'll try to stick it into the substrate to make it shorter or possibly cutting it slightly to make the tree shorter.

The river or pathway was scenery I saw in Taiwan that ran between two sets of mountains.

There were some concerns and private messages about the tank weight and the tank not being on both the sides of the cabinet where it is strongest. So to ensure that it is strong enough and can withstand the weight so it does not cave in I went to home depot to get some wood.

They are pine, 1" x 4" and asked the home depot guy to cut 22 1/8" lengths for me since they have free cuts when you buy wood there.

Drilled holes into the wood, screwed the wood into the underside of the cabinet top and installed 90 degree metal brackets to further help support the weight. I think the cabinet is pretty safe now, what do you guys think? Wood and brackets altogether not even $7. Pretty cheap for safety.

:)

#16 ·
Update 2015.11.23:
There were some concerns about the tank weight and the tank not being on both the sides of the cabinet where it is strongest. So to ensure that it is strong enough I went to home depot to get some wood. They are pine, 1" x 4" Drilled holes into the wood, screwed the wood into the underside of the cabinet top and installed 90 degree metal brackets to further help support the weight.
Looks secure now. Great save. Don't forget to put something under the tank so the wood or veneer does not get damaged. On the oak bookcase I had my 10g on I have an area that is black where the tank was.

#18 ·
Yes it does, doesn't it? You can make pleco caves, different rock formations, hanging roots etc... just remember to use non toxic polymer clay, once it is baked it is all good.

Haha okay I'll tell her that :) Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Reactions: BettaBabe
This post has been deleted
#20 ·
Nope unfortunately, because I got it from Hong Kong. Yup styrofoam.

This post has been deleted
#21 ·
Hello fellow Hong Kong friend, haha you found my source! That is actually my favourite fish store (the one with the two sand falls) in mongkok and the owner is very friendly, he is an older gentleman; the last time I was back we chatted for hours! On the other hand, a few shops away from his shop, towards the MTR there's also another shop that has sand falls and lots of shrimps, that shop is really arrogant and they don't really care about customers. So I always go to the shop with the two sand falls.

With regards to my sandfall, I cut some parts off and painted over the cut parts. I'll see if I can take some pictures of the workings of it later and show you. :)

There are sooooo many fish stores on that street in Hong Kong it's amazing. I went to Taiwan too but didn't get to visit the fish street in Taipei yet.

#22 ·
Update 2015.11.26

Today I added vertical supports!

Reactions: jacob.morgan78
#23 ·
Okay my wood in my bucket full of water finally sunk after three weeks.

Dilemma, tree or no tree? Is the tree too big?

If tree, which positioning?

Pos.1 left

Mid

Right

Pos.2 left

Mid

Right

#24 ·
Update 2015.11.27:

Decided to try out the tree and see how it goes, since when sitting down it doesn't look super big and perspective wise, a tree in front usually looks bigger and rhe background is distant. The tree also connects the two sides that is separated by the "river".

Also started some plants and let them grow emersed, Utricularia graminifolia, mini pellia/coral moss and alterneathera reineckii mini for now.

Let me know what you guys think.

#25 ·
I can't figure out what plant(s) to put behind the mountains in the left. Currently the lower portion of the slope has done alterneathera reineckii mini but nothing on the upper slope. Any ideas you guys?

#26 ·
Update 2015.12.02:

The alterneathera reineckii mini and utricularia graminifolia are growing pretty well emersed, the mini pellia or some people call it coral moss, is growing rather slow except for the one just next to the rocks close to the tree.

I also stuck one more sheet of the mosaic transparent self adhesive foil (from walmart) on the already existing sheet I stuck when I first started, on the back glass. Much better now, can barely see any wires from the front.

Full view of the wall, this is on the right side of our living room. Just installed those floating shelves from IKEA (wife's favourite store) on the weekend, air plants up top, and our treasured teapots on the lower shelf.

I actually also installed curtain rails and curtains replacing the blinds, but will show updated photo next time.

#28 ·
It's too late lol it's already built, but I guess it could be switched off sometimes. I too am slightly worried that the sandfall will be a distraction.

#29 ·
The tree looks great! You're right it does tie the sides together as well it fits perfectly in front what without the tree seemed to be too big of a background. Sure the sand might mix, I'd just say try to keep the current moving side to side low and risk it. The sandfall might just look amazing and it is really nice to see something like it used in planted tanks. We are bad at becoming imaginative besides natural landscapes. I subscribed.

#30 ·
Thanks for your kind comments and subscribing! I hope the sandfall will be okay and not too bad with mixing as well. This is my first time trying this kind of aquascape, thanks for the encouragement! :)

#31 ·
2015.12.05:

My bonzai tree wood is growing some fungus, it's quite usual and will go away, especially if there's a pleco but right now the whole tank is emersed so I decided to let mr.bonzai go into the hot tub for a bit:

#32 · (Edited)
Update 2015.12.13

So my glass lid finally arrived after like 1.5 months since there was a miscommunication but now it's all good!

Went to Canadian tires to get some miracle grow plant fertilizer since I'm dry starting the aquarium, then the plants especially the UG will hopefully root and not float when I fill up the water.

Misted the plants with the miracle grow diluted mix and saran wrapped the top where there's no glass. Green house effect. Grow plants, grow! :)

As our air composition has only 0.039% CO2, I decided to help the plants a little, by injecting CO2, at 1-2 bubbles per second. Hopefully this will slowly saturate the saran wrapped tank with CO2 to accerelate plant growth.

#33 ·
Update 2015.12.16:

Ebay bought LED for back lighting.

Today my waterproof LED strip arrived in the mail from ebay Hong Kong; should have got it when I was there few months back visiting relatives. $9.50 includes 1 meter of LEDs (60 of 1amp), 44 key remote, the RGB control box, power adapter, packaging, and shipping was free! :) very affordable.

Note to all ebay sellers out there if you're reading, please please print the instructions sheet on a bigger piece of paper like an A4 or letter sized, not a 2" × 3" paper with a font size of 4.... I actually needed to take this picture so that I can zoom in on my phone to read it!

1 meter has 60 LEDs, every two inches there are 3 LEDs, and you can cut every three if need to.

The remote:

Initial try:

Then I tried to change colour with the remote but it didn't work, battery not included... so I had to go out in the cold and get a CR2025 - 3 volt battery - $5.39.

I don't understand how can a battery be $5.39 in Canada while the whole LED set I got from hong kong ebay is only $9.50.......including free shipping. Things in North America is way too expensive!

Did I mention to print the instruction sheet bigger? It's like watch battery size!! My eyes!!

Colour change success, hurray!

More updates to come, need to rest my eyes now :)

#34 ·
Another update, LED back lighting is now in place. I stuck it to the back of the aquarium with clips that was left over from some IKEA furniture.

A short video with some colour changes:
http://youtu.be/n5UgBzX4YK8

Also tried blue sky colour, sorry about the awkward tube, I'm pumping CO2 1bps to aid in dry start plant growth.

Comments always welcomed! [emoji1]

#37 ·
Thanks! :D Just waiting for the plants to root properly first, might take awhile.
I like the cool colors! Would those plastic holders melt if the LEDs got too hot?
Good question! I hope not! I'll give it a try and see, if they start to get too hot I'll have to switch the plastic holders with silicon ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.