20 long "micro world" - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20 long "micro world"

Found some inspiration the other day. Decided to start scaping my ol 20 long. For some reason I love the footprint of this aquarium. So the idea is to have a lush anubias and moss scape, with only mini fish species as inhabitants hints micro.
Sort of an reverse Jurassic park theme type thing lol.

This is what I'm thinking

And this is what I've done so far

Added the moss to the stones introduced 6 orange rasbora and 2 auto cats. Still in transition scaping, planting, and stocking, I've been planning on removing 2 petricola cats and a black calvus just haven't gotten around to it yet... At a cost! 2 of the rasbora a are missing planning to detain the culprits and transport them to the 75g tomorrow.

For the scape I would like to keep the hard scape the same but incorporate a moss wall for the background, moss coving the stones completely, and anubias trailing at a slant from left to right.
Using led lighting, dosing excel flourish an potassium with a 50% water change once a week.

Because anubias is such a slow grower I plan to grow a large portion emersed in order to achieve quicker growth. Hopefully I can end up with some extra to sell or trade here on the forums.

The fish I'm thinking of stocking are:
More of the same type rasbora you know to replace the 2 that have disappeared, small school of CPDs, small school of Pygmy Cory cats, shrimp, and possibly a dwarf puffer or maybe a pair of apistos. Not sure if the last two will eat the shrimp or not? Any experience with this?

Well I'll be back to update soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Repeating something that I read in here. CPD's are sometimes known for getting shrimp.
7-9 Ember Tetras might be a good replacement or just because their a nice micro.
If micro is the theme, you might look into mini Fissidens.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey thank will look into that

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Those rocks are awesome! And that wood looks like the silhouette of a creature's snout with long incisors just touching each other in a snapping maneuver.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks yeah I like them too. Picked them up from a local landscaping company 11 cents a pound. Ha wow what a description you've quite the imagination. Yes yes I do see the creature

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It looks great. I like your future design. I can't wait to see it grow out.

I kept a school of CPDs with shrimp and the shrimp population took off. I switched and put some Endlers in and the shrimp population about vanished. So - in my one case CPDs worked great with shrimp. The challenge with them is they like to hide. So depending on the activity level you are looking for, you may want to consider that.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfkona View Post
It looks great. I like your future design. I can't wait to see it grow out.

I kept a school of CPDs with shrimp and the shrimp population took off. I switched and put some Endlers in and the shrimp population about vanished. So - in my one case CPDs worked great with shrimp. The challenge with them is they like to hide. So depending on the activity level you are looking for, you may want to consider that.

Well thank you very much. I will consider the points you have made. My thinking was that I'll have the moss wall grown in before adding the shrimp. That way it will act as a refugium. After the shrimp become established I will introduce the fish on my list... Still playing with some different ideas on fish.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Repeating something that I read in here. CPD's are sometimes known for getting shrimp.
7-9 Ember Tetras might be a good replacement or just because their a nice micro.
If micro is the theme, you might look into mini Fissidens.

Do embers grow to the same size as neons?

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't remember the info on that one. My LFS says they come 1/2" long.
Likely a juvinile. But that sounds like it doesn't quite get as big as a Neon does to me.
Google it. Somewhere on that list you will get is one that gives tech info on it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
Do embers grow to the same size as neons?

Ember tetras max out at 3/4-1", while Neon tetras get to 1.5-2".
Kind of takes both quite a long time to fully max out though. Both have the same temperament/behavior. Embers are nice little fish.

Apistos and Puffers will definitely demolish the shrimp, even the adult shrimp. Some dwarf puffer individuals may be more peaceful or conditioned to not eat adult shrimp, but it is in their nature that they eat inverts (snails especially, so will apistos/rams).

And well yes, I would surely not consider Apistos as micro fish
There are some real tiny fish like the Boraras species (even the ember tetra look large in comparison!).

The rasbora and platy/molly (whatever they are) will also eat any baby shrimp that can fit in their mouth, this is true for most other fish as well (ember tetras as well). So plenty the more plant cover to keep baby shrimplets safe from predation until they get large enough to not be eaten, is highly recommended if keeping shrimp with them.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

20 long "micro world"

Ah yes I figured this to be true... I'm very interested in these embers. The mollies are now in my reef. U know those guys eat cyano!?!? Score! Lol hmm well I may just risk it with the rasbora that I have remaining. I was considering apistos because they are considered a "dwarf" cichlids.... And cuz they are awesome lol probably ditch that idea. Your right apistos would get too big for my theme. The puffer was another one of those "cuz they are awesome" type of deal lol. Thanks for keeping me on track everyone

In other news it seems as though my anubias if going to flower soon! stoked!

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

check it

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

@kalan850
Wait...Mollies can go in saltwater (reef tank)?!?!?

You sure they can? I thought for sure they were freshwater only. If they really cannot, then please place them back in freshwater right away or they will die.

If they can, were they at least slowly transitioned?

Just making sure.

BTW congrats on the flowering anubias.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
@kalan850
Wait...Mollies can go in saltwater (reef tank)?!?!?

You sure they can? I thought for sure they were freshwater only. If they really cannot, then please place them back in freshwater right away or they will die.

If they can, were they at least slowly transitioned?

Just making sure.

BTW congrats on the flowering anubias.

Lol yes they most definitely can. Google is your friend acclimation was oh I don't know say...... About 24 hours lol

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They are eating well and very active

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode