20 long "micro world" - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Very cool idea for the tank! I look forward to seeing it progress!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The moss is Filling in nicely. Had to dial the lights back a bit... Stupid algae! Stopped dosing ferts and only add excel once in a while. Kinda questioning weather or not to take the tank down the issues with algae, I lost my 2 atos, maintenance on my other tanks seems to make me neglect this one, that and my 2 month old daughter keeps us occupied quite a bit! Lol it will have to be moved or taken down in about 4-5 months for sure. But who knows I might be able to keep it up and beat the algae...
What should I do???

post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would keep it set up if possible .It's a nice looking tank . Maybe some Anubias in the right corner in a few months after you move the tank ? A couple of thoughts re: algae . It's not clear from the pictures as to whether you have a HOB or canister filter . If it's a canister , any possibility of putting in a UV that would run for a few hours daily? Any chance offsetting your light's timer to achieve a 2 hour or so blackout in mid-day? It doesn't appear that there's any background material on the tank to cut down on extraneous light from the sides/back . What about using either sign vinyl or black contact paper or latex paint to cut light from those areas ?

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I'll be keeping it up a while it's too purdy to tear down running 2 small hobs for now. One day maybe a canister with some lily pipes. As of right now I have the lights on for a total of 1 hour per day just to help combat the algae. The peroxide helps but there is still some work to be done. I've come up with a plan to better manage my tanks. Instead of doing all the maintenance in one day I will be doing them one at a time. 75 on Monday 125 salt on Tuesday an the 20l on Wednesday.

As far as the whole "micro world" theory... I've been thinking that 20g is still a bit small to achieve the goal. Still want to do the ember tetra, shrimp, and Pygmy corys it just seems like it might be better achieved in a 40b or a standard 55. Eventually there will be an upgrade!!! Wife just doesn't know it yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode