"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front- My First Planted tank - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru
That looks great and it will be real good when the hygro fills in a little more.

Your dog is super cute. I like boxers a lot too they are so sweet-natured.
Sponsored Links
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Planted Member
Beautiful tank!

And I'm so with you on the crypt melt. I got my lutea about a week ago and it's just falling apart. I'm going to hate waiting for it to regrow!
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
Finally the background is starting to fill in. Here are some updated pics:

FTS 11/17

Right Side 11/7

Left Side 11/17

The Hygrophila polysperma 'rosanervig' and Bacopa monnieri are growing well. I have not been adding any ferts. I speculated that I might start, and did for twice, but it really isn't necessary with this tank so far. Things are growing well and the Sunset Hygro is coloring up nicely w/o ferts. I'm liking this tank more and more every day.

I fear that the larger leaves of the Sunset Hygro may be a little over-sized for this size tank. But maybe I have just been reading too much about scaling of plants over on Aquascaping World. Perhaps in the future I will try a nice bush of Rotala macrandra "green narrow leaf". I have it in my high tech set up but I'm not sure how well it would grow in this low tech, non-CO2 set up. Any thoughts?

My biggest concern right now is the fact that every thing is growing well except my ferns. All three really aren't doing anything. The trident Java is faring the worst. It may be to close to the light on top of my stump. It is curling and browning and not putting out any leaves. None of my ferns are putting out new leaves for that matter. I may move the trident down or take it out completely. Any thought on spurring growth in my fern?

Brandon Herren
"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front Journal , Album "30 gallon Rescape, Take 2"Journal , Album
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
So it's been a while. This tank is really nice because it just does it's own thing with minimal input on my behalf. It is by far my most successful (yes, success is in the eye of the beholder) attempt at a planted tank.

My Trigonostigma heteromorpha have been hanging out beneath the leaves of my Sunset Hygro and showing some breeding behaviors but have yet to do the deed. Or maybe they have and have just eaten the eggs. I do not suspect that this is the case as my water parameters are not ideal when compared to the literature for this species. I'm not looking to breed them, but it is still a nice display.

The Trident Java is no more. I gave it to my neighbor. It just never took off that close to the light and really didn't suit this tank anyway. I think I'm going to get rid of the other ferns as well. They are the only plants not thriving in this tank and really seem out of place.

Here are a few updated pics:

FTS 29 NOV 09. The left background is still lacking. I have some C. 'balansae', C. spiralis and Bacopa monnieri that are growing, just not as fast as the Sunset Hygro.

Sunset Hygro is a weed for sure. It grows like mad in this tank and has colored up nicely. It is in need of a trim at the moment. I am waiting until this Friday to trim it because I am giving the trimmings away at a club meeting Friday night.

I think that once I get enough Rotala rotundifolia(I have some in another tank. I am waiting for about 30 stems) it will replace the Sunset. IMO the leaves of the Sunset are just too large for this tank. Another option is some Limnophila aromatica and Rotala macrandra 'green narrow leaf'. But I'm not sure how well any of these would do without ferts and CO2. From what I have read Rotala rotundifolia and Rotala sp. 'green' are less demanding as far as lighting and CO2 are concerned, so I may try those. I just need to find enough Rotala sp. 'green'.......

Brandon Herren
"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front Journal , Album "30 gallon Rescape, Take 2"Journal , Album

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode