"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front- My First Planted tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you very much Coltonorr. That means a lot coming from some who has such inspiring tanks.

Brandon Herren
"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front Journal , Album "30 gallon Rescape, Take 2"Journal , Album
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 03:18 AM
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherren1 View Post

A real Kodak moment. This was taken two days after set up. Our 9 month old boxer Sassy loves it. She sat like that for 30 minutes just watching the fish swim!
This was such an adorable picture, I showed it to my husband. He stared at it a long time and said "Kafka is adorable but when did our house get so clean?" Hahahahahahahaha. He thought this was a picture of our boxer when he was a pup. Shows how messy our house is, too. Boxers are great and that picture is awesome.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, we love boxers as well. Sassy is our second. Our other boxer, Gunner, is 6. He is probably laying on the couch when I took this pic. Poor Gun-gun is going gray in the face ....

So, I guess you know what a feat it is to get a boxer pup to sit anywhere for more than 5 seconds. And she really sat in front of that tank for about 30 minutes, through a whole quarter of football on TV anyway. It was the darnedest thing. She was watching Betta. He would swim behind the log and she would be looking like, "where did that thing go?" Then he would come out on the other side and her little nub would start wagging. I swear he was playing with her.

Boxers are such clowns and you've got to keep them busy or else they can get into trouble in a hurry if you aren't looking. But they are super smart as well and an learn anything if you put a little effort into training them. I started training Sassy at three months with the command-clicker-treat method. Clicker training is the best method I have ever used. Sassy mastered "come", "sit", "stay" and "down"(better command than lay since it rhymes with "stay") in two days.

Anyway, I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed the pic. BTW, all of my wife's family is from WV. They all live near Summersville. We always go through Huntington on our way there. I've spent many summers out at Summersville Lake camping, swimming and fishing. We are going there for Christmas this year.

Ok...enough rambling. If I don't make my posts shorter people will stop reading them.....Thanks for viewing Sewingalot!

Brandon Herren
"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front Journal , Album "30 gallon Rescape, Take 2"Journal , Album
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Sorry to talk about Boxers on your journal, but our boy is 8 1/2. He still acts like a pup! Yes, I am amazed at how long Sassy sat looking at the tank. Our boy is so disinterested in anything but the water in the bucket. I really have to watch him or he'll jump in them until they knock over.

Summersville is beautiful. Much more lovely than Huntington. I can't wait to go back.

Back to your journal. It really is quite lovely. Can you move the heater over any? It may help with the look. Just an opinion. By the way, I grow algae on rocks in the windowsill. I learned it from someone great on this forum. Just fill a small dish full of water, add a rock and wait a few days and you have lots of diatoms to feed your ottos! Probably the second best tip I learned. The first was to buy Prime instead of Stress Coat.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Great tip for the algae, thanks! I could move the heater, but I want a tall, densely planted background which will eventually cover it. The Microsorum pteropus "Trident" on top of the driftwood used to hide it but I trimmed off several of the older, ragged leaves and now the heater sticks out like a sore thumb. I was thinking of planting either Vallisneria americana gigantea or Cryptocoryne crispatula 'Balansae' back there but I am definitely open to suggestions....

Actually, before I set up this tank I had been thinking of setting it up as a riparium. I had read through hoppy's and hydrophyte's journals a few months ago. I also went to hydrophyte's site, as well as a few others, and read up on them a little. And now you've got yours going. I also read some of the stuff on Chuck Gadd's site about building a background that could go in a riparium, some neat ideas there...Any way, this tank is tall enough at 18". I think it would make a cool riparium. I could leave the plants I have in the tank now and I would try to rearrange the driftwood a bit and still incorporate it in the design. if I'm not mistaken Java Moss grows emersed as well as the 'Trident'. What do you think?

Brandon Herren
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 02:18 AM
I ♥ BBA!

I was never crazy about vals. They seemed algae prone to me. However, you are looking for some algae, so..... Yeah, it could be a cool riparium. I think the betta would be a cool addition to the type of tank. They are super cool.

Last edited by sewingalot; 10-31-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: typo
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nothing new on the inside of the tank to report except that the fuzz algae is all but gone. If it comes back I will probably try adding a faster growing, nutrient sucking, easy to care for stem plant like some of the sunset hygro I have in my other tank. As for now I have finally decided to go with Cryptocoryne crispatula 'balansae' for the background. I purchased 5 plants today. They should arrive mid-week. I'll post pics as soon as I get them planted in the tank.

I have also been contemplating obtaining some RCS to add a bit more color to the tank. I just need to find someone selling them....

Brandon Herren
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I added 5 Amano shrimp and took out the ghost shrimp today. These shrimp are HUGE! Tried to get some pics for you guys to see but all the shrimp were asleep. But, I'm sure you now what these shrimp look like. My new background plants, Crypt 'balansae', will be here tomorrow. Look for new pics of the tank tomorrow evening.

Brandon Herren
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got my C. 'balansae' in today. I'm pretty sure they were cultivated emersed. It will take at least a month for them to melt and start to regrow and then another 6-8 weeks for them to near their potential. So that's 3 months until I will be able to tell if I like the look or not. Patience is a virtue that I impatiently wish to achieve. DAMN YOU CRYPT MELT!!!! OK, composure regained.....Pics when I get back from class.

Brandon Herren
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, it's been a while since I promised pics of the new stuff added to this tank. It being Veteran's Day I had no classes today so I did a little maintenance. I moved the C. 'balansae' "stumps"...most of the old leaves melted, but some new ones are growing. Things happen very slowly in this tank so I added some Hygrophila polysperma and Bacopa monnieri I got from another tank to A. Help get more plants in the background faster and B. To alleviate my impatience from watching sss...lll...ooo...www plants grow. I have also added 3 Amano Shrimp who are, as advertised. voratious algavores. Enough talk, here are some crummy updated photos:

FTS 11 NOV 09

OTO 11 NOV 09

SIDE 11 NOV 09

AMANO SHRIMP 11 NOV 09

Brandon Herren
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very nice! If it keeps growing like this, it'll shape up to be an amazing tank! Once that java fern grows in, you won't even be able to tell that there's equipment in there.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Algae Grower

Beautiful tank, I really like your piece of DW, excellent center piece.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the nice compliments. i think i'm gonna leave it alone for a while and just let it grow.

started dosing ferts on a very limited basis when i put that hygro in. i need to dose to get the hygro to color up. since i already have it on hand i'll dose excel, flourish, &NPK. excel daily, trace twice/week and NPK twice/week. when that runs out i'll use some of the dry ferts for my other tank. i'll play around with amounts and frequency until i get it right. my goal is minimal input and have the plants look their best. we will see.

Brandon Herren
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lookin' good! But an idea...Why don't you have the heater at gravel level with it being Horizontal? Mine always look good that way...it's just, I broke my stealth, so my el-cheap-o can't go that way.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

good point. gonna do that. my excuse was always that it would be harder to make adjustments. but that heater has been rock solid and holds steady temps year round. i have not had to adjust it in 3 years. even after a 3 month hiatus.

Brandon Herren

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode