The Planted Tank Forum banner

22 gallon long(redo) - Update 11/1/16

7K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  dbleoh7 
#1 · (Edited)
Got my 22G up and running a little over a month ago and though I would share since I was always looking for people's scapes with the 22G and couldn't find many!

Specs:
22 gallon Mr. Aqua
Filter: SunSun HW302
Light: Finnex 24/7
Substrate: Fluorite
CO2: 5lb CO2 tank w/Ista Max Mix CO2 Reactor (2-3bps)
NilocG Micro + Macros (dosed alternating days) + substrate fert
Hydor inline heater

Fish:
1 golden ram
10 cardinal tetra + 5 neon tetra
2 otocinclus
1 SAE
ghost shrimp
1 nerite snail

Plants:
Monte Carlo carpet
Blyxa Japonica
Hydrocotyle umbellata
Hydrocotyle leucocephala (removed after a few months)
Java fern
Water lettuce
Dwarf sagittaria
Anubias micro

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I was pondering between low iron vs regular. When I saw the regular versionat a LFS and couldn't tell much difference between it and another low iron (different brand) next to it, I snatched up the regular. I think Mr. Aqua regular glass is already much better than the common tank. I can see drastic difference between Mr Aqua regular and my Penn Plax tank side by side.

#13 ·
My tank has been through a battle in the past month with hair algae, but I upped the CO2, and added 2 SAEs and a handful of ghost shrimp and this seems to be slowly decreasing the hair algae thankfully. The monte carlo wasn't growing for about a month because it had a layer of black bearded algae (I think?) on it, but is now coming around. My LFS also accidentally gave me a chinese algae eater instead of 3 SAEs, so I have a random CAE that I'll likely be getting rid of sometime soon.

This is not my final scape, so if anyone has any opinions on what can be moved around? Still need to figure out what to do with the back left corner...

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

#14 ·
I'm going to get rid of the hydrocotyle leudocephala soon and I had to replant the blyxa since it got uprooted partially. I also moved some blyxa in front and to the left of the driftwood.

I still am looking for some ideas on what to do with the back left corner... Can't figure anything out... Also does anyone have opinions on the hydrocotyle umbellata in the middle planted sporadically? I'm also a little indifferent on the dwarf saggitaria in the middle of the tank... I might take it out and just have the monte carlo carpet all of the way across. thoughts?

#17 ·
I *think* I figured out my CO2/fert/photoperiod out where it remains algae free. Once I'm not so busy I plan on getting a red plant in the back left corner. The dwarf sagittaria is blowing up and getting much larger than I thought it would. I might have to tear it out and replace with a smaller plant... thoughts on the look of it currently?

Attachments

#19 ·
I rearranged the left side of the tank now as you can see. Did a complete cleaning of the tank... Also, I put in a backlight with a RGB LED light strip (it was like $10). Not a whole lot else has changed. My japonica still won't grow well. I have no idea why...

I should probably trim the monte carlo at some point because it is like 4 inches long in some places...

Attachments

#24 ·
My betta died for unknown reasons and so I went and picked up a golden ram. Also, trimmed the monte carlo carpet for the first time. Probably trimmed off a couple quart sized bags of the stuff. It was a disaster, but now it will have cleaner lines and you can see the ravine that I'm trying to make better (with the blyxa in it)

Attachments

#25 ·
I realized the other day that I haven't updated this in a very long time... I allowed the monte carlo to get way too long, so that the leaves next to the substrate died since it was not getting any light... so I tore it out and replanted. Also did a bit of a scape change. The log is getting out of control with the java fern so one of these days I'm going to do a significant trim of it. Let me know of any criticism.

Also, I moved and had about 8 fish die that I replaced (I do not recommend as it's a nightmare moving a fish tank)

Attachments

#26 ·
I decided to pretty much start from scratch again since my monte carlo that I had was brown and dying from previously. I salvaged the healthy pieces and replanted. So sad to look back at the lush carpet I had and see the current state that it's in! I also added a small powerhead in the front of the tank by the driftwood to get more circulation. I'm going to let the monte carlo carpet grow in then likely add some more plants.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.