L183 fish room journal /// - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats one sweet looking male. Been looking to get me some. Been doing a lot of reading on them. They prefer a very soft water to breed in. Around 5.5 to 6.0 So hope you have lots of babies to raise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Me too. With the addition of some ADA Aquasoil and the natural tannins from the DW the ph was in the ~6 range last time I checked. I am contemplating a RO unit but there are more important thing right now my funds can be apportioned to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankat View Post
Thats one sweet looking male. Been looking to get me some. Been doing a lot of reading on them. They prefer a very soft water to breed in. Around 5.5 to 6.0 So hope you have lots of babies to raise.
post #33 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know that feeling, I have been trying to get more tanks to setup breeders for my L180's, L66's and L333's on top of having abns, browns, calicos and such.
post #34 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That sounds like quite a lot of work. But im sure you will have some good success with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankat View Post
I know that feeling, I have been trying to get more tanks to setup breeders for my L180's, L66's and L333's on top of having abns, browns, calicos and such.
post #35 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to boltp777
Quote:
Originally Posted by bherren1 View Post
Thank you for your kind words. It's a shame about Ft.Hood....I have some buddies stationed there that used to be in the 101st Airborne with me. They are all OK though.

So, do your plecos poop the standard 9" poop strings that the ones you can buy at PetSmart do? You know, the species that PetSmart will sell you with a 10 gal. aquarium knowing that they can reach at least 18". How big does the species you are trying to breed get? Do you know how to sex them?

ahahah i work at petsmart i wont sell you a pleco... ill sell you a couple otos instead =P 55+ for plecos

42 gallon hex journal coming soon
post #36 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltp777 View Post
ahahah i work at petsmart i wont sell you a pleco... ill sell you a couple otos instead =P 55+ for plecos
you sir, are an exception

Brandon Herren
"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front Journal , Album "30 gallon Rescape, Take 2"Journal , Album
post #37 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The most exciting thing in this post is the new piece of DW I just put in. Can you tell?

Big daddy

post #38 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

moved pics in PB so they were deleted. Posted later in journal

Last edited by bsmith; 12-04-2010 at 07:22 PM.
post #39 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Got some pretty cool shots of the fish last night while I was cat watching. Since my past post I was shipped 3 more of these L183's from the guy I got them from. He is really and awesome person. We talk from time to time and during one of our conversations I mentioned that all of the plecos I had were males because of the facial bristles that were developing. He said hey if I just pay shipping hell send me a few more juveniles. Super cool!

moved pics in PB so they were deleted. Posted later in journalanks11-18-10016.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by bsmith; 12-04-2010 at 07:22 PM.
post #40 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Those fish are beautiful Brandon!

post #41 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Hey if you ever get any spawns from these, I'd be interested- I love them!

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #42 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Nerd Alert.

Very cool! I plan on getting some of these guys for my 75g (I am going community, not african or SW lol).

Edit: Ninja'ed...Twice.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #43 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
Those fish are beautiful Brandon!
Thank you. I cant wait for them to all grow up and start getting it on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
For sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
Very cool! I plan on getting some of these guys for my 75g (I am going community, not african or SW lol).

Edit: Ninja'ed...Twice.
They like soft water. The environment their from is a very strange bio-tope in the Amazon where there is hardly any water movement, very warm temps and so much tannin in the water from the organics it has a kind of antiseptic property.

Now for the other pics I would have had up with the others if PB wasn't acting stupid.

This is another juvenile male that kind of floats all around the tank. Hanging out places until the other big guys get tired of him being around.

This is the adult female that hangs out in the middle of the tank with the flash on.

FYI- These were all taken with my iphone, pretty awesome camera for taking sneaky shots. There is also a super bright LED flash that will stay on if you put it in video mode that I use when I am trying to see whats going on when the lights are off.
post #44 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
+1 to this

Also, are these specimens that you have wild caught or captive bred?

EPC #329 - VPC #59
Marina Style20
20L - P. axelrodi, C. macracanthus, H. ocellifer, T. albonubes "gold", Stiphodon sp. gobies, Sailfin mollies
16BF - T. albonubes "gold", A. dolichopterus, Ps. gertrudae "Aru II"
post #45 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&KGray View Post
+1 to this

Also, are these specimens that you have wild caught or captive bred?
If I ever got a chance to get down to to he Rio Negro you can bet your a$$ I would be trying to find these beauties. I'm sure I couldn't take any because of the permits and stuff but man, could you imagine wading in a black water pool with ancistrus all around you, cardinal tetras and other super cool catfish scuttling in the leaf litter!

These are not wold caught and are actually pretty hardy. In fact the Big Boy was in a 55g that prolly got down to the upper 560's at times and I actually had limestone as the background. I mean that is the exact opposite from what they live in. Cold and super hard water! He lived in there for 2 years or so and then I started reading about them and their habit at and almost puked. He actually killed (I have no concrete proof but I saw him harassing it all the time) a really awesome Rhino plec I had for like 5 years. He was a sub-adult at the time and easily 1/8th the size of the rhino.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode