L183 fish room journal /// - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you. No I don't think it's selfish at all to want things for yourself, especially if you have earned them. From your avatar it looks like you have. Thank you again. If you look at one of the first sentences I wrote I can thank this room to me now having this proper basement. My home before this didnt even have a crawl space, so I couldn't even play around in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherren1 View Post
Great journal so far. Your plecos are beautiful. Your so lucky to have a fish room. Our house is on a crawl space and I don't have the money to build a separate building in the backyard, so no fish room for me. Since my wife doesn't care about this hobby I don't have to worry about her reading my post so I can say this: The only reason that a full basement is one of my criteria for our next home is so I can have a fish room. Selfish?
I hope I can get them to get it on, that would be sweet. There tank seems to be about as good as it gets for there natural habitat but [I]guess well have to wait a year or so until there sexually mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
THose fish of yours are really cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
From your avatar it looks like you have. Thank you again.
Thank you for your kind words. It's a shame about Ft.Hood....I have some buddies stationed there that used to be in the 101st Airborne with me. They are all OK though.

So, do your plecos poop the standard 9" poop strings that the ones you can buy at PetSmart do? You know, the species that PetSmart will sell you with a 10 gal. aquarium knowing that they can reach at least 18". How big does the species you are trying to breed get? Do you know how to sex them?

Brandon Herren
"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front Journal , Album "30 gallon Rescape, Take 2"Journal , Album
post #18 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

My condolences are definitely with the families of those effected at Ft.Hood as well.

As far as the pleco waste there isnt as much as I have seen with other mamoth common plecos. Actually I haven't had enough time to just sit and observe them to see what the deal is with it. I wold thought attribute allot of the common pleco poo to being fed quite a bit of commercial food that contains a lot of fillers. If there is less nutrients digested then more comes out the bottom.

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words. It's a shame about Ft.Hood....I have some buddies stationed there that used to be in the 101st Airborne with me. They are all OK though.

So, do your plecos poop the standard 9" poop strings that the ones you can buy at PetSmart do? You know, the species that PetSmart will sell you with a 10 gal. aquarium knowing that they can reach at least 18". How big does the species you are trying to breed get? Do you know how to sex them?
post #19 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Planted Member

Makes sense...I hope they breed for you.

Brandon Herren
"Betta House" 16 Gallon Bow Front Journal , Album "30 gallon Rescape, Take 2"Journal , Album
post #20 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Me to, thank you.

Quote:
Makes sense...I hope they breed for you.
post #21 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:12 AM
Algae Grower

I have no idea why it took me until now to find this thread...It's starting to come together. I will need to come over and checkout the setup sometime. Hurry up and get those fish to breed so I can have a couple for the 125!
post #22 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, were probly going to be waiting a while brother. I dont think the 4 newer ones will even be mature enough for a year or so. Heck that last one I just put in there is 3 years old. But you never know.

Whats new down stairs?
post #23 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Algae Grower

Well....we have enough java moss to fill a pond haha. Tanks are cycled for sure, 55G has about 40 guppies in it now, and the 2 20G are ready to go into production.
post #24 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 AM
Moe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice progress so far! I wish my house had a basement, one draw back of living in texas.

Since you have to wait a year on the breeding, I guess it gives you time to set up more tanks
post #25 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Planted Member

Nice white seams... I just missed my chance to purchase a bunch of these since the price was a bit high (60+) for one. Instead i can enjoy yours while i keep my money to myself :P
post #26 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Some tiny a$$ cell phone pics.
This is the Original L183 that was in my 55g. I think his bristles have grown about 2x's there length before he got in the new tank. This water must make him happy.

The newer ones. They like to hang out on the glass when the lights are off.

post #27 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

looks good. what are the goals of your aquabusiness? are you just using tap water? i saw a lot of gallon jugs in the pics.
it took a while besause of my light, but your marsilea is taking over pretty nicely.
post #28 of 118 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I really don't have any goals per se. Just want to see if I can breed them successfully first then see what happens after that.

The water is straight from the tap. I think the ADA AS and driftwood in there with no carbon in the filter crates a very blackwaterish biotope. I need to post some recent pics it looks more like brown water but that's good with me.

I'm happy to hear the Minuta is treating you well. Maybe if I want to rescape with it in the future ill get some from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spachi View Post
looks good. what are the goals of your aquabusiness? are you just using tap water? i saw a lot of gallon jugs in the pics.
it took a while besause of my light, but your marsilea is taking over pretty nicely.
post #29 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:49 AM
Planted Member

any news from the fishroom?

Brandon Herren
post #30 of 118 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Nope. Just feeding and watching them grow. Since I have put the larger male in he has kind of dominated the tank and I believe found his favorite mate. But again, until the new ones reach maturity we wont know.

Quote:
any news from the fishroom?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode