2g No Tech Jar | The Aladdin Jar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

2g No Tech Jar | The Aladdin Jar

This was kind of a spur of the moment kinda of tank. I found an old Anchor 2 Gallon jar that was no longer being used (and hadn't been used in some time) I decided to take some left over 20-40 Black Diamond Blasting Sand and a branch of Mazanita and put together a little jar. It didn't take long before it ended up with five White Cloud Minnows in the jar. It has been going for about a month now.

Current Full Tank Shot (11/2/15):

Flora:
- Hornwort
- Bronze Crypt
- Anubias
- Java Fern
- Mixed Floaters (Red Root, Frogbit, a few others)

Fauna:
- 5 White Clouds

I had a few things in mind when I started this, I knew I wanted to go No Tech on this jar, I wanted this jar to have a 360 degree viewing angle. With how I wanted to achieve the angle having any sort of cord running into the tank was not practical. From those requirements I stumbled upon the White Cloud minnows, my initial though was to use them in my 10g shrimp tank, but the temperature was going to be to high for them. The water temperature in my room stays around 72 degree, the upper temperature for the White Clouds. To create the 360 degree viewing angle I use a lazy susan so that you can spin the tank, and see any angle.

The lighting is a Ikea Jansjo Desk Work LED Lamp it has an adjustable Gooseneck and is mounted to the table that the jar sits on. It is on the low wattage side for the tank, so I pretty much leave it on all day and rotate the tank as the day goes on.

The Hornwort is a plant that I really like the look of, but I hate pine needles... The hornwort has been littering the tank pretty much since I added it 4 days ago (I even cleaned it out 2 days before this photo was taken. It also keeps slipping out of the substrate and floating to the top.

Last Frame: (I liked the composition of this image but the White Clouds are really hard to get pictures of with them in focus)

So that catches up to today, I need to do a water change tomorrow in the tank and instead of just changing the water I'm going to pull the floaters, hornwort and the white clouds out while I rescape the tank a bit. I picked up some black colored river rocks that I'm going to ruberband the Hornwort to keep it anchor down. I also think I'm going to make a little section using the river rock just to add to the variety of the tank. I really want the focal point to be the bronze crypts so I'll be moving some of the java fern around as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ha ha, great title and nice job! I like the use of the lazy susan too!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Would be nice planted bowl,not to be confused with proper quarter's for tropical or subtropical fishes.
With displacement of water due to substrate, and rocks,you may have a gallon and a half of water, which would be quite small for anything but a few small shrimp and perhaps a nerite snail.
Opinion's vary,,but not so much on this particular issue for the majority.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today I rescaped the tank a bit. I pulled pretty much everything out except the substrate, and the water filled 2 1 gallon buckets with still about 3 inches of water in the jar. This must be a 2.5 gallon jar. I put just over 2 gallons of water back into the jar.

Largely I moved the hornwort around and anchored it to rocks using rubber bands. I'll post some new photographs soon, I'm just waiting for it to settle.

@roadmaster I know, but at this point I have them so I'm going to stick with it. I change water in the jar a lot. If it gets to hard to keep up with the water change I'll put them in the 10g (but its not ideal either at 78 degrees)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode