Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 04:37 AM
Algae Grower

That is an interesting fungal growth!
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

this tank is amazing. Awe inspiring.

BUT, id expect nothing less from you Meow

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfkona View Post
I love this tank. Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalan850 View Post
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag View Post
I have some, and dig them.

But personally, I think some chili rasbora's would look awesome int hat tank and are smaller then the Sundadnio's
I have about 10 Boraras urophthalmoides in the tank as of now, and I really like them. They are tiny, and their water parameter tolerance range is something I can more easily work with than the Sundadanio axelrodi's. So far, they are somewhat lacking in color, but their black stripes are prominent and I'm hoping as they mature, their orange coloration will stark to show. I plan to get maybe a dozen more of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00Merlin View Post
These growths sprout up in various places on the glass all the time, and last maybe a day or two before they disappear. I doubt they're harmful in any way, and they add a nice natural look to the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
this tank is amazing. Awe inspiring.

BUT, id expect nothing less from you Meow
Thank you!

T a m y
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great tank. Good information on the buces. Also setting up a low tech tank so I will have to restrain myself from getting too many varieties

Perhaps I missed this but is the back of the tank have raised substrate or is it just wood?
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfield View Post
Great tank. Good information on the buces. Also setting up a low tech tank so I will have to restrain myself from getting too many varieties

Perhaps I missed this but is the back of the tank have raised substrate or is it just wood?
The back of the tank is built from eggcrate wrapped with a black substrate barrier (weed barrier). There is a trench that spans the width of the tank that is filled with small-grain lava rock that forms the emersed section. Underneath the trench holds the heater and extra filter media (large lava rock). There are two cut-out sections on either end of the eggcrate structure that houses two internal filters. The height of the internal filters matches the height of the eggcrate structure and water level. The tops of the filters are hidden/covered with large pieces of lava rock (some with moss attached), which with little effort can be removed and access to the filters granted. Outflow tubing connected to the filters are hidden by the wood. There are miscellaneous pieces of plastic mesh and barrier to block any gaps between the aquatic section from the hidden eggcrate section. It's a little makeshift, but it works and looks okay. It's difficult to explain, and I regret not having taken pictures when I was setting it up, but hopefully my description makes some sense.

T a m y
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowschwitz View Post
Fungal growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00Merlin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowschwitz View Post
These growths sprout up in various places on the glass all the time, and last maybe a day or two before they disappear. I doubt they're harmful in any way, and they add a nice natural look to the tank.

Thank you!
If I am correct that is called slime mold but it is not mold, its actually an groupnig network of single cells organisms that come together to become a multi-cellular form. There are not a lot of instance of it in the aquarium hobby but if you google you'll find some hits on it. The stuff actually moves around (all be it slowly). My husband's betta tank also has it, but not on the glass, instead it likes to form around a scuplty structure that has a different substrate in it. Its completely harmless just not visually appealing is all (like the fungus that forms on newly submerged wood for the first few weeks/months).
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
If I am correct that is called slime mold but it is not mold, its actually an groupnig network of single cells organisms that come together to become a multi-cellular form. There are not a lot of instance of it in the aquarium hobby but if you google you'll find some hits on it. The stuff actually moves around (all be it slowly). My husband's betta tank also has it, but not on the glass, instead it likes to form around a scuplty structure that has a different substrate in it. Its completely harmless just not visually appealing is all (like the fungus that forms on newly submerged wood for the first few weeks/months).
Ah, you're right. Apparently it may be a Physarum sp. or something with a similar plasmodial spreading pattern.

T a m y
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gorgeous new shrimp from jimko.

Caridina serrata x cantonensis 'Tangerine Tiger x Pure Red Line'

T a m y

Last edited by meowschwitz; 12-19-2015 at 03:04 AM. Reason: .
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 06:29 AM
Algae Grower

Wow! Those shrimp are awesome. I don't see why a lot of people frown upon cross breeding some shrimp, I personally love the patterns that some produce.
DarkSeas likes this.
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Those shrimps!!!!

I will have to inquire about those beauts!

Berried already too!?
Let me know how the offspring turn out.

You think they can do alright in neutral/harder water like Tigers can or do they require the much softer water like the other Caridinas?
Hard to know since it's a cross between the two (TT x PRL).

I will get ahold of jimko

Man this tank just keeps getting better and better!!
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 05:21 AM
Algae Grower

lovin this tank, never saw potencial in buce, guess you changed my view
post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBreezy View Post
Wow! Those shrimp are awesome. I don't see why a lot of people frown upon cross breeding some shrimp, I personally love the patterns that some produce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereninga View Post
Whoaaa these shrimp look crazy!
I know, right? Hybridization can produce very interesting looking shrimp, especially on an individual level. I like the fact that each shrimp has a unique look, so I can actually tell them apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post

Those shrimps!!!!

I will have to inquire about those beauts!

Berried already too!?
Let me know how the offspring turn out.

You think they can do alright in neutral/harder water like Tigers can or do they require the much softer water like the other Caridinas?
Hard to know since it's a cross between the two (TT x PRL).

I will get ahold of jimko

Man this tank just keeps getting better and better!!
Of the nine shrimp I received, two were already berried. Definitely hoping for some nice looking offspring.

As far as water parameters go, I'm not too sure. I'll be experimenting carefully. Right now, GH is 4, KH is 2, and TDS is 275. I'm going to attempt to drop TDS to around 150, KH to 1, and raise Gh to 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPeces1508 View Post
lovin this tank, never saw potencial in buce, guess you changed my view
Glad to be of help.

T a m y
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And I just had my first baby shrimplet sighting, probably offspring of one of the berried Orange Neocaridina.

And I added some more Boraras urophthalmoides. There should be a total of 30, but I've only ever gotten a total count of 24. Not too worried though, since there are a lot of hiding spots and I'm sure some are just still timid.

T a m y

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode