Meow's 12G Long - "Bucephalandia" - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 06:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowschwitz View Post
I am planning on adding Boraras urophthalmoides at some point. They're the smallest shoaling species I could think of, and even then, this tank may be too small for them. We'll see.
Have you ever heard of Sundadanio Axelrodi? They're very small, the smallest I've ever seen, and they would love the tank for sure. Plus they're a nice reflective blue color which would look really cool with the dark greens and purple colors you have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Get a fog machine/fogger or humidifier for a fog effect (or is that too much humidity/heat for the plants/fish?) By the way, how warm does the water get as it is now?

With the added fog it would look like a spooky, yet beautiful, Bucephalandia swamp

Haha, just kidding. Probably a little overboard.

Maybe once the Buces grow a bit more, you can get some plantlets from them and do a high-tech Bucephalandia tank. I hear low tech and emersed grown Buceph don't get all the wild crazy color and shiny specks that high-tech grown Buce produce. That way the show the other magnificent side of Bucephalandra.
The water temperature stays around 75F and the humidity at 85%. While fog would look nice, I have limited space around the tank to setup up the machinery. Same goes for a high-tech tank. No room for a CO2 tank. Also, I am and always have been in the low-tech club. Minimal maintenance is my main goal, aside from the aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbullfrog View Post
Have you ever heard of Sundadanio Axelrodi? They're very small, the smallest I've ever seen, and they would love the tank for sure. Plus they're a nice reflective blue color which would look really cool with the dark greens and purple colors you have
I like their look, but Boraras urophthalmoides is still smaller, maxing out at 16mm whereas Sundadanio axelrodi reach 25mm. Also, my water is likely too hard and alkaline for their liking.

T a m y
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Algae Grower

B. naevus is a bit more colorful than B. urophthalmoides and slightly smaller I believe. And B. micros is smaller still. If you're looking for REALLY tiny fish, then danionella translucida may be up your alley.

~Alex

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beautiful tank! But how do you categorize each plant so they don't get mixed up? After awhile, certain buces look the same to me.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

You did a great job on this tank. Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Swimz$ View Post
The tank is impressive and so is the plant list! 😱 must have taken a long time to collect all those!
It took a month or two, and cost a pretty penny as well with all them Buces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswerIs42 View Post
You had me at "Bucephalandia"

Subscribed and cant wait to see more pictures

I am currently contemplating a trio of nano shrimp tanks with only buces and mosses, and your 12 long is an inspiration. Have you considered adding any critters to your tank?

Again, Bravo!!
Amano shrimp, Orange Neocaridina shrimp, and Exclamation Point Rasboras are the current inhabitants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Oh, do you have any photos of your Fissidens geppi and nobilis? What is the difference between the two?
F. geppi is a very slow grower, taking an extremely long time to become established before pushing out new fronds. F. noblis seems to grow a bit faster. F. geppi also appears to have larger and more robust fronds than F. noblis. Once both have grown out a bit more, I'll try to get a comparison picture.

Quote:
Beautiful!

Maybe a bit more livestock?
Maybe something small that will venture out onto the emersed area as well (no idea what though)
When I first put in the Amano shrimp, a few decided to climb up onto the emersed area, flippin' and floppin' around. They had trouble getting back into the water, needing my help to push them along. After a few weeks, no more emersed adventurers; I guess they've learned their lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium_Alex View Post
B. naevus is a bit more colorful than B. urophthalmoides and slightly smaller I believe. And B. micros is smaller still. If you're looking for REALLY tiny fish, then danionella translucida may be up your alley.
I like the look of Boraras urophthalmoides, with the stripe rather than the dots of B. naevus. I'm not sure Danionella translucida school/shoal much, but like B. micros, they're a little plain to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai808 View Post
Beautiful tank! But how do you categorize each plant so they don't get mixed up? After awhile, certain buces look the same to me.
Each Bucephalandra variety I have is identified by a unique number in an organized spreadsheet. I attach each specimen to a piece of black lava rock, using both cyanoacrylate superglue gel and black cotton string. I etch the number onto a small piece of translucent plastic and attach it to the specimen with a ziptie around the string. The ID tag can be hidden pretty easily, and even when it's visible, it's not too unsightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post
You did a great job on this tank. Awesome!

Thanks!

Some new inhabitants! 11 tiny Boraras urophthalmoides, or also known as Exclamation Point Rasboras. I took these pictures only a few minutes after introducing them into the tank, so their colors have yet to return from the stress of shipping and change in water parameters.

The size of these tiny fish compared to an Amano shrimp.

Last edited by meowschwitz; 11-26-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: .
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice to hear the shrimp can learn to not venture out of water before they die.
What do you feed the Amanos? I've never seen their insides that red before.

Great idea on the plant tags as well. I might just have to copy that idea haha. But how did you get the zip tie into the lava rock exactly?

Great pictures by the way.
Have a particularly favorite Buceph yet?
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

This tank is insanely nice, such a beautiful compact scape

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Nice to hear the shrimp can learn to not venture out of water before they die.
What do you feed the Amanos? I've never seen their insides that red before.

Great idea on the plant tags as well. I might just have to copy that idea haha. But how did you get the zip tie into the lava rock exactly?

Great pictures by the way.
Have a particularly favorite Buceph yet?
The Amanos have been nibbling on algae and whatever gets fed to the Neocaridina, like barley, veggie sticks, and other shrimp foods. Not sure why that one Amano has such red innards, but the others do not look like that.

The ziptie goes around the string that's tied around the lava rock.

Favorite Buce? Honestly, I like them all. I think I'm more partial to darker varieties, or those with interesting venation. I quite like Giant Centipede. Unfortunately, since this is a low-tech setup, most of the Bucephalandra varieties I have look similiar, and without the ID tags, I wouldn't be able to tell most of them apart. Collecting different varieties was at first rather fun, but now I realize that it's pretty meaningless since so many just look practically the same. All of these trade names are just BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
This tank is insanely nice, such a beautiful compact scape

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Thanks! I will have a more current full-tank shot up soon. I'm expecting a new camera next week.

T a m y
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 05:19 AM
Algae Grower

This is my favorite tank I've seen since it is so different. Its always awesome to see pictures! Keep them coming please!
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
This is my favorite tank I've seen since it is so different. Its always awesome to see pictures! Keep them coming please!
Thanks!

Got my new camera in, a Nikon D7100, so here are some full-tank shots.

And just a picture of my 65G vivarium for fun.
jlfkona and jbullfrog like this.

Last edited by meowschwitz; 12-02-2015 at 12:14 AM. Reason: .
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

T a m y

Last edited by meowschwitz; 12-02-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: .
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love this tank. Beautiful!

post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfkona View Post
I love this tank. Beautiful!

+1

post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I have some, and dig them.

But personally, I think some chili rasbora's would look awesome int hat tank and are smaller then the Sundadnio's
jbullfrog likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode