Shrimp only tank planning - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blackheart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Shrimp only tank planning

I have decided to do a shrimp only tank for RCS and might add other species later. This could be a winter long project and I am still planning. Equipment I have so far

Tetra 10G tank,
10G internal filter(I read that shrimp likes less filter)
100W heater(Winter is a bit crazy here)
Finnex planted + 24/7 LED

Here is the first thing I added this afternoon(Pic below)

Will it be good for a shrimp only tank or is it too big?

Please give some ideas on substrate. I am thinking of Carib Sea Tahitian Moon sand. What are the disadvantages of this one?

This will be a low tech low light planted aquarium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1499.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	536546  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can make the hardscape as big as you like! That one looks good for a moss tree.

The Tahitian moon sand would look nice and show up the colour of red shrimp very well. Just need root zone ferts if required by the plants, otherwise I don't see disadvantages for RCS. If plants won't stay anchored you can temporarily (or not) use small stones around the base of the planting.

With the internal filter you may need to put a mesh or stocking over the slits to prevent babies from getting sucked.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

I'm afraid this light is too much if your goal is "low tech low light". I'd just buy a 18" Beamworks EA 50 Razor 6500K - I have it on 10 gallon tank and it is doing great! It is also very affordable - I got it for just $25.

Also, your heater is way too powerful for such a small tank. This is actually dangerous - in case of a failure it'll be able to cook your shrimps real fast. I'm not sure how it is related to winter strength - don't you have heating in your house? Apart from this, shrimps actually prefer cooler temperatures, so for shrimp only tank you probably don't need any heater at all.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
You can make the hardscape as big as you like! That one looks good for a moss tree.

The Tahitian moon sand would look nice and show up the colour of red shrimp very well. Just need root zone ferts if required by the plants, otherwise I don't see disadvantages for RCS. If plants won't stay anchored you can temporarily (or not) use small stones around the base of the planting.

With the internal filter you may need to put a mesh or stocking over the slits to prevent babies from getting sucked.
Thanks for the input. Moss tree is the plan.

I will have root tabs in the sand. I read everywhere that sand is a mess and it gets into filter and everything. I do have a sponge for my internal filter. It is one of those topfin ones with a blue sponge.

What do you think about the filtration? will that be enough?

I am planning to add few Anubias from my other tank and which ever plants that can do low tech.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
I'm afraid this light is too much if your goal is "low tech low light". I'd just buy a 18" Beamworks EA 50 Razor 6500K - I have it on 10 gallon tank and it is doing great! It is also very affordable - I got it for just $25.

Also, your heater is way too powerful for such a small tank. This is actually dangerous - in case of a failure it'll be able to cook your shrimps real fast. I'm not sure how it is related to winter strength - don't you have heating in your house? Apart from this, shrimps actually prefer cooler temperatures, so for shrimp only tank you probably don't need any heater at all.
I had this 10G tank as high tech before I switched to a 20. So I already have the light with me from before. I will not be using the 24/7 feature. I will put it on a timer with a reduced intensity. I will have to research on the settings.

I remember the discussion we had about the heater in another post. I am planning to add an external temperature shut off relay with Arduino as a second factor of safety. But i did not know that shrimp prefer cooler temps. I am planning to have RCS in it for now. What temp do they prefer? I have heating at home but it is a Nest smart heating and that thing will go down to 55 if there is nobody at home. I can change that but it saves money. Heating a small tank is easier than the whole house.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:45 AM
Planted Member

People say RCS temperature range is very wide, something like 55-85 F, optimum being about 72F. However, I don't think they'll like large daily temperature swings from 55 to 75 (or whatever will be your normal house temperature) and back, so I think you'll still need a heater to maintain a constant temperature.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup I usually maintain the water temp a few degrees above the room temp so that there is no fluctuation. In my other tank, I wanted to mimic summer and winter but I did not think it through. So it ended up with colder summer and hotter winter for the fish.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

They're breeding in my 70-73 degree tanks.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking forward to seeing more Plantetra Hey did you get that piece of driftwood by any of the LFS I suggested by chance? It looks awfully familiar
plantetra likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Looking forward to seeing more Plantetra Hey did you get that piece of driftwood by any of the LFS I suggested by chance? It looks awfully familiar
Ha ha!! I did. From Royal Tropical. They have a good collection but it is still a bit on the expensive side. I find it expensive because I moved here from a different country and I used to burn these type of wood for heat.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
They're breeding in my 70-73 degree tanks.
I have them at 76 now. So I will maintain this tank at 72.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have an RCS, CRS tank. I keep it just below 70 for the CRS and RCS are breeding. I may bump to 71 degree's in a few weeks as my basement can fluctuate a bit in the harsh North Dakota winters.

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I didn't realize RCS liked the cooler temps. Mine have been breeding like wild fire in 78* F tank water. I'll dial it down a bit.

Low tech, low light, shrimp tank, is the best. I just set one up. Literally zero hassle. I like the wood setup with the stone slab, great idea. I did something similar.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I decided to use Blasting sand from TSC as my substrate. I have the medium version of it. I just did a trial set up and here is the picture. Any suggestions?

Should I add anything else or just the tree? I am not sure if I need that stones in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	543274  

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 03:05 AM

Looks Promising
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Inhabitants are set to go in tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20151116_2001472_rewind.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	545969  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode