The Planted Tank Forum banner

30g long DSM Iwagami style mountain scene build w/ADA substrate

8K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  BettaBettas 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are the beginnings on my 30 gallon iwagami style tank. I am going for a dual mountain style.
I have a full ADA substrate system that i plan on doing a DSM on with mosses painted on the rocks, HC in between the rocks, and hairgrass in the foreground.
I have a Finnex planted plus fixture as well.

Added the Powersand Special Small to each side in the areas i plan on building up the mounds. I used two 3L bags.

Spreaded the ADA 5 elements around the bottom of the tank. This was the 90cm kit.

Poured in the ADA Amazonia. I used two 9L bags

Added an odd amount of rocks(9) to the scape. If you have any input of the placement of the rocks please let me know!
I plan on picking up some more small rocks to fill in the gaps a bit more. I want it make it look like two mountain slopes coming together.
Should i do a sand or gravel river in the middle of the two slopes?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Here is my revised hardscape.

I moved the rocks around and added some smaller ones to give it a more natural look.

I added a gravel river in between the two masses.

Next is a DSM with the plants!

Attachments

#8 ·
Personally, I'm not a fan of "paths" in layouts, however, since its not my tank ;) my only suggestion is to create more perspective by narrowing the pathway by at least a factor of 2 and create a more winding look; give it a couple switchbacks and continue the illusion and create height in your landscape. IMO, at the moment the path is bisecting your layout at 90 degrees, and with no bends it visually divides your tank into 2 pieces and does not add to the landscape.

What are your plant choices?

Attachments

#10 ·
Started the DSM tonight!
I got rid of the gravel river, i didn't like it.

Painted on moss.

Dwarf Hair Grass in the foreground, Dwarf baby tears in between the rocks.

All wrapped up and ready for that humidity!

Attachments

#16 ·
Very cool!

I have a sand path/river in my 40. At times I regret it and other times I like it.

I have a 60F on the way and intend to do an iwagami as well. I have been reading about the DSM, suggestions/tips?

Great start on the tank I will be following along!

#17 · (Edited)
DSM Update. Day 18.

Seeing some roots spreading more with my dwarf hair grass. Dwarf baby tears spreading as well.

Bump:

Its pretty easy, I did do the full ADS substrate system which was costly but i think in the long run it is worth it.
I have a 10G shrimp tank with just Amazonia New and its Awesome. It keeps the Ph around 6.8 and softens the water as well. I think it is the most natural buffering substrate out there.

I planted, filled with water so it is all moist, covered with saranwrap, and i open for 30 min and mist everyday.

Attachments

#19 ·
Day 31 Update.
One month in and the plants are looking good. The baby tears are spreading nicely, the moss is growing on the rocks in most places, and the hair grass is spreading as well.

I am playing with the idea of running a custom 10 gallon sump on this tank which will mean building a custom stand as my Ikea stand wont work obviously.
I've been watching basically every video about making and running a sump on YouTube and i am still trying to wrap my head around how it all works(i understand the fundamentals).
If you have any good links about sumps let me know!

Thanks

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.