12 Long and Slow - 56k warning - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

12 Long and Slow - 56k warning

The concept is low tech and low maintenance with a side order of shrimp. With the shrimp I did not want to fertilize heavily and I wanted to avoid CO2 for the best environ-home for them. I already had some Tibee mischlings and some RCS and wanted to upgrade them from their plain old ugly10 gallon.

After drooling about the 12 gallon long rimless tanks from Mr Aqua for months and months, I finally convinced my wife to get me one for my birthday. Marine Depot helped me out with the tank, Ehiem Ecco Pro 130 and Lifeguard 36" LED. (5 watts for the filter and 7 for the lights - very power bill friendly!)

The first tank arrived with an outer box in great shape, but inside was a sad surprise.

The team at Marine Depot helped me out right away with a re-ship. The second box looked like it went through a battlefield. I almost refused delivery...

But inside was a pristine and intact tank!

After 2 weeks of searching for just he right stand for this beauty, I finally tracked down this hall table from Pier One that was exactly 36" long, tube steel for strength, and 11" wide, leaving about 2"of micro-shelf in front that turns out to be very handy when doing maintenance. Those shelves underneath are great for supplies and water change storage.

Here is the initial fit next to my workstation, along with some padding to protect the bottom from cracking due to uneven pressures.

1" of Control Soil as substrate and then a quick fill using the Ehiem and the top off of a plastic container for a non-messy initial fill without blowing the substrate all crazy.

Filling the tank up like this inspired me to add some plumbing for a dry-hands water change system.

IT Professional
Shrimp and Plant Amateur
ShrimpCam!! http://brolly.us
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice set up. I am always impressed with these long and shallow tanks, I need to get me one to do a miniature aquascape.

How much was the stand/table?

I can appreciate the ingenuity of the "dry hands refill" haha
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

June 18 - First Life

@WaterLife. The stand was pretty expensive, between $100 and $200, but I really wanted durable steel for this application, so when this one showed up at Pier One, I did not hesitate.

UPDATE: Stand was $269+tax - Pier One item number 2923220. (currently unavailable on their web site)

FTS June 18, 2015
10 days into the cycle.

Here are the test plants, to make sure they would grow in the new substrate. Nothing fancy, just some dwarf hairgrass, micro swords, a Chain sword and some flame moss.

June 22, 2015

Changed the flow around to accommodate that nifty dry hands plumbing and got some Downoi and Dwarf Hairgrass. I tried out that new culture grown stuff from TopFin that Petsmart has been stocking lately, just to give it a try. I have a test shrimp in the box there, drip acclimating him over the course of several days.

June 26, 2015

Test shrimp and snail have been alive for a few days, so time to get the rest of the crew ready to swim! Even old one-eye looks excited about the new digs.

IT Professional
Shrimp and Plant Amateur

Last edited by Brolly33; 10-26-2015 at 05:15 PM. Reason: details on stand
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:20 AM
Planted Member

Looking good, crisp lines and nice planning for the dry hands water change!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Very cool tank. I would love to have one of those as well. And you were lucky to find a perfect stand for it too!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

July

@Cmeister and Blackheart, thanks for your comments. The 12 Gallon Long club was great eye candy and inspiration to put this tank together. I really love this tank for it's huge floor space and shallow depths.

July 6, Shrimp are all in. The CRS mischling that had been carrying eggs for 2+ months managed to keep them through the tank change.

The nice white rock is in, a few Anubias, and one of my favorite little crypts, I think it is a C. Wendtti. It's hard to tell, but the Downoi is already starting to melt away slowly.

July 11, a nice night shot.

Some closeups of my favorites.

August 3, 2015

Found this cool, clip on magnifier at Staples. Carson brand. It's a permanent addition!

IT Professional
Shrimp and Plant Amateur

Last edited by Brolly33; 10-24-2015 at 05:03 AM. Reason: replying to commentors.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

August to October

August 11, 2015

A close up of one of the RCS.

October 3, 2016

After a second round of the TopFin cultured Downoi, after it too started to melt, I finally admitted that I cannot have Downoi in this tank without CO2. And I insist on having them. I love their strong and organized leaf structure.

So, I picked up a Ista Waterplant CO2 system with the tiny, hang on the size, disposable cartridges. It actually did a decent job with flow rate after some fussing and I have about 5 bubbles per minute. Lasted about a month at that rate. I put it right under the filter outlet, to blow the micro bubbles around the tank better. Seems to be making a big difference for the Downoi and the shrimp don't seem to mind at all. I also started very light macro ferts and Iron in my 5 gallon "new-water" container, so every water change, the incoming water has my ferts, Iron, and remineralizer to get my to about 6dGH, 0dKH, 140 TDS. With the Control Soil, my pH hangs between 5.3 and 5.9 and with the open top, my temperature hangs around 76 degrees F

Here is a shot looking down the length of the tank. You can see the double sponge filter that I have over my Ehiem Cannister filter inlet to keep baby shrimpies out of my filter. Seems to fit snug and works like a charm. It's like a sponge filter without the bubbles.

The Downoi are already perking up... But those Java Ferns are setting out roots towards the surface. I have never seen them do that before. Very odd looking.

IT Professional
Shrimp and Plant Amateur
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Feeding Time!

October 10, 2014

Both the RCS and the Tibee mischlings had babies. I was surprised to have a successful breeding of RCS at a pH of 5.5 average, as they are supposed to not like it quite so acidic. But I have often heard that RCS are somewhat indestructible, so maybe I should not be surprised.

Feeding time is always a treat, as they all come out of hiding for their little feasts.

All the shots in this thread were with iPhone 6 and nothing fancy.

October 22, 2015.

Here is a FTS from yesterday. I really love the gentle growth from 5 months ago's shot.

I did get rid of the Chain Sword that was next to the white rock. It was just not happy with the water so I tossed it back in my large tank. I just ordered a set of Erio Parkeri to go in here somewhere as well as a couple of Buce to sit on top of my white rock and an interesting longer Eriocaulon Father Duster. I think that will go in one of the corners and sweep along the top with the current from the filter outlet... Looking forward to the next set of shots in a few weeks.

IT Professional
Shrimp and Plant Amateur

Last edited by Brolly33; 10-24-2015 at 05:05 AM. Reason: removed extra picture
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Thumbs up for that magnifying glass!

I've been looking for a magnet one or making a DIY magnet one.

From what I have heard about Erios, is most of them really need co2 to be healthy, but I have heard of some species being easier/less or not in need of co2.
EDIT: scratch that, just read you got a little co2 system for the downoi. FWIW, I have had downoi in non-co2 injected tank, fully melted coming from a co2 injected tank, but came back alive and grew some, not as nice looking or nearly as fast growing as in co2 tanks, but still lived and grew.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to gil_ong Send a message via MSN to gil_ong
Wow. Very nice. Almost exactly what I had in mind. May take a few years for me to make this happen.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@WaterLife Carson Optical AM-20 light loupe.

I have had several goes at Downoi without success. I really really wanted an Erio cineriun in here. But Parkeri will have to do for now.

@gil_ong it took me 2 years of planning to get here. The trip has been an absolute pleasure. Thanks for your comments.
gil_ong likes this.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2015, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

Great setup... Love it when fellow enthusiast never give up.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New Plants!!

I just got my shipment of plants from @Bartohog and they look great. I cannot wait to get them into the water later.

Eriocaulon Parkerii, Eriocaulon Father Duster and Bucephalandra Lamandau Purple, coming right up.

IT Professional
Shrimp and Plant Amateur
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Buce tied in and ready to GROW.
Erios installed
The shrimp playing double duty as Christmas ornaments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7464.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	537850  

Name:	IMG_7460.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	537858  

Name:	IMG_7434.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	537866  

IT Professional
Shrimp and Plant Amateur
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to gil_ong Send a message via MSN to gil_ong
Anyone have any suggestions for an Asian-themed shrimp tank?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode