Justin's 10 Gallon F-ever - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Good work !
Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

11/16/2009

Been adding plants to my tank these past 2 weeks. The weather hasn't always been good here in Cleveland, and some of the plants I received from other members have unfortunately melted. Some survived better than the others, while some just disappeared... oh well...

Flora:
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hygrophila difformis
Cabomba furcata
Lindernia rotundifolia 'variegated'
Elatine triandra
Micranthemum umbrosum
Heminathus micranthemoides
Bacopa caroliniana
Ludwigia repens
Rotala rotundifolia
Limnophila sessiliflora
Heteranthera zosterifolia
Potamogeton gayi

FTS, hope that those 2-3 surviving stems of Elatine triandra (right corner) could make it.

HC has spread a little more... growing HC in plain aquarium gravel is really slow... just hope it works~

The plants hiding behind the DW, hope these surviving stems will revive...

Some help needed, is GDA a norm and unavoidable, or is it just me getting it? Anyone having a suggestion or two on how to keep GDA under control? I use a sponge to wipe the glass clean every Sunday before WC... this is what it looks like before i took the FTS...

I am wondering how the tank will look when the plants fill in more. I have always wanted more Rotala's (ex: sp green, colorata, vietnam...) I guess it will not be until the spring time. In the meantime, I will just play around with the plants I have now.

Last edited by justin182; 09-17-2010 at 07:34 PM.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No one wants to comment on the algae issue? Haha, I guess no one reads this thread. Oh well... I will do some research on the matter after my exam then...

So, just got some shrimps from greenisgood. Some of the TINY baby shrimps seem to be of high grade, let's see how they turn out as they get bigger.

ps: just finished reading F22's thread about his riparium between study break... wow... (speechless)... who closed the thread I wonder? By the way, if anyone is reading this, what do you suggest to cover the filter intake? I saw some Hagen sponge being used from other members' journal... I probably will do some more research after the exam, THE DAY before Thanksgiving....

I guess I will go back to study now -> amino acid metabolism... beast...
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OOOoooo!! I really like those shrimp & your tank is looking GREAT!

10's are alot of fun to play with! I can't wait until mine is where I want it, but it's taking some time...

Kenny
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Honeycomb Master

That algae looks more like GSA to me. Is it hard to scrub off, or does it rub off easily?

Sponge filters or some sort of sock can be used to prevent shrimp from being inhaled by the filter. I believe some people use pantihoes.

post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

BEAUTIFUL CRS! But aren't you worried that the Guppies will eat the babies?

If you don't see circles of algae a couple of millimeters in diameter (like this), then its most likely GDA. GDA is really easy to scrub off, but GSA is really hard to get off.

Nerite Snails help with brown algae and GDA IME.

EDIT: In regards to your question about F22's thread...there was literally 5 1/2 pages of arguments/disagreements, and the mods don't like conflicts anywhere.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonbreedr16 View Post
OOOoooo!! I really like those shrimp & your tank is looking GREAT!

10's are alot of fun to play with! I can't wait until mine is where I want it, but it's taking some time...

Kenny

Thanks. I got the shrimps from greenisgood.
It has been a lot of fun, especially as this is my first tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
That algae looks more like GSA to me. Is it hard to scrub off, or does it rub off easily?

Sponge filters or some sort of sock can be used to prevent shrimp from being inhaled by the filter. I believe some people use pantihoes.

There are both GDA and GSA, but mostly GDA. They are not that hard to remove, with GSA being a little harder. But are they ALWAYS there? Do you guys, planted tank pro, have them as well, or is it just found on newb's tank?

I just asked Niptek and he suggested this from ebay. Seems like it will work. The catch is that it takes 4 weeks to ship, so I guess I will try to find something local first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
BEAUTIFUL CRS! But aren't you worried that the Guppies will eat the babies?

If you don't see circles of algae a couple of millimeters in diameter (like this), then its most likely GDA. GDA is really easy to scrub off, but GSA is really hard to get off.

Nerite Snails help with brown algae and GDA IME.

EDIT: In regards to your question about F22's thread...there was literally 5 1/2 pages of arguments/disagreements, and the mods don't like conflicts anywhere.
Do you have GDA and GSA as well? Are they common to every tank???
My LFS has some of them for cheap, but right now, I kinda like the look of a snail-free tanks. And I am also afraid that the big nerite snails will tear my already delicate HC apart. Will they really be a problem???

Haha, I have read the whole thread during my study break... I have not seen a journal thread so full of arguments/disagreements.... oh well, I just wish that his turtles and fish will be OK............

EDIT: yes, I am afraid that the beautiful baby CRSs will be guppy's meal.. I am not sure what to do yet. The BEAUTIFUL baby CRS will stay in the breeder tank for now, until at least they are big enough.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, you could always put the guppies in the breeder box, ROFL, let the shrimps take over! ROFL J/K

PS. don't get me started on f22's thread...I had a severe argument with his "friend" as well. It was a big mess...but anyways....

I'm sorry about your algae!

Some has popped up in my 10 & it's driving me batty to look at and yet, I can't touch the tanks...

As for good snails for eating it, my Ramshorn Snails LOVE it and polish things that have it + they don't mess up my HC...my worst enemy is BBA. It's the worst algae E-V-E-R "NOTHING* can kill! lol
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nerites are very gentle and quite small (they vary between types). I find they spend most of their time on the driftwood/leafy plants/glass than on the substrate, so I would think your HC wouldn't be tugged loose by them.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin182 View Post
Do you have GDA and GSA as well? Are they common to every tank???
My LFS has some of them for cheap, but right now, I kinda like the look of a snail-free tanks. And I am also afraid that the big nerite snails will tear my already delicate HC apart. Will they really be a problem???

Haha, I have read the whole thread during my study break... I have not seen a journal thread so full of arguments/disagreements.... oh well, I just wish that his turtles and fish will be OK............

EDIT: yes, I am afraid that the beautiful baby CRSs will be guppy's meal.. I am not sure what to do yet. The BEAUTIFUL baby CRS will stay in the breeder tank for now, until at least they are big enough.
Yes, I have had GSA/GDA in my previous tank, and I think I have it in my tank now. GDA is caused by low CO2/nutrient levels, and is common in new tanks. GSA is caused by low phosphate levels and sometimes low CO2 levels. So essentially they're caused by the same thing.

I have some plants that are just starting to root, and the Nerites haven't uprooted it (and I know for a fact that they crawl over the plants daily).

Do you have another (cycled) tank that you can put the guppies in? Or at least some moss to put in the current tank to let the shrimp hide in.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have not updated this thread for a LONG time, mainly because I kinda lost interest when my CRS began to die one by one... So those are the last pictures of my CRS... Maybe I did not feed enough (I was afraid that too much feeding would pollute the water)? Maybe my water parameter was not good enough (too high kH, and fluctuating diy CO2 and pH)? Maybe it was from the fertilizers?

Very frustrating... but I will be back, CRS... next time, you will be in a much better tank...

So I moved the best looking F2 male and two F2 female guppies back to this tank and began the breeding again. The rest of the F2 guppies and the original three F1 guppies were traded in to LFS. Something spectacular happened, one of the two F2 females guppies dropped 9 albinos out of the 30 frys. So, the F2 male and this F2 female are heterozygous for albinism. Very lucky, considering that the F1 male and F1 female were both normal, and all of their frys were normal. I am guessing that one of those F1 was homozygous normal, while the other one was heterozygous for albinism. I would not have been able to get an albino fry if any of the fish (F1, F2) I chose was not heterozygous... remember that I got my F1 from Petco... Lucky?

The albinos are in a separate breeding cage. It is obvious that they don't see well as they swim and eat differently from the other frys. The lack of melanin does cause the light to scatter inside their eyeballs. So, I put a piece of paper over the top and it seems to help them see better. Contrary to what some other says, it seems like they just grow as fast as the other normal frys. It has been 2 weeks, and two of the albinos are actually bigger than the normal ones... good genes i guess??? Hopefully, they will have nice caudal fins!! We will see in 2 months.

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haven't updated this thread for a long time... Just took down and re-set up the tank about 2 months ago when I moved. Did the same thing last week when I moved back... It's lucky that mine is just a small 10 gallon tank, otherwise, it would have been much more difficult. Hopefully, I could get settled down next year and get a bigger tank with better equipment~!!

So, I just did a re-scaped and added two Lobelia cardinalis 'Small Form' and some supposedly emersed-grown Rotala wallichii, well, at least that's what I was told at the LFS. They were all pale green when I first put them into the tank. After two days, the new leaves from the top does change the color, but the leaf shapes still differ from the usual look. Not sure whether it is really THE Rotala wallichii. I guess I will just have to wait and see how they turn out. I took out the wood since it is just taking up too much space, I think. I haven't decided whether I will get some smaller driftwood in there yet. So now, I am kinda testing how the tank will look with lots of plants in it. It does seem a little empty right now, but well, we will see how it will end up as the plants fills in more.

Emersed Rotala wallichii (two days ago)???

Emersed Rotala wallichii (today)???

The baby guppies are getting bigger but still need a month or two to show their fins. Hopefully, they will have better fin size and shape than their fathers!!!

My oto is busy cleaning the substrate!!!
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I ♥ BBA!

Stunning! I can't wait to get my plants now that I am looking at your tank. What kind of guppies are those? I love red colored fish!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

hows the tank justin?

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So after a long break, it's time to update again...

I switched out the substrate with a bag of Eco-Complete 3 days ago. It was late, so I left the plants in a bucket, just put all the fish and the single Amano shrimp back into the tank and went to sleep. Woke up the next day and couldn't find the Amano shrimp anywhere. I thought that the Amano might have just climbed out of the tank out of stress... But the weird thing is that I couldn't find it or its carcass anywhere on the floor (a ninja shrimp dying somewhere ) So, I just put the plants in without more looking. Woke up today and you know what, the shrimp appeared inside the tank again... A true ninja~!!

Oh by the way, I added a few new plants. Really happy to see HC in my tank again.

Some grains of the Eco Complete are just HUGE, the biggest one I saw is like 1 inch long... I broke up that piece with a HAMMER You can clearly see that the smallest grains are different from the other bigger ones. They are deep black, while the bigger ones are greyish black. But overall, it looks good, and I'm sure it will grow plants better than the inert gravels

Ninja Amano (pictures taken before I switched out the substrate),

What you staring at ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode