Underwater shrimp stump - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Underwater shrimp stump

First off, let me apologize for the horrific photos. The tank doesn't have it's own light yet and the glare/reflection is rough on photos.

Moving on! I picked up a 20g High at Petco's $1 per gallon sale. I chose the 20g high because my corner table already had a 24"x12" base and I couldn't find anywhere to place a 20L. First move was to paint the back of the tank black with Krylon.

Despite what I just said, I did try some wood configurations out prior to painting. Here is what I ended up liking the most. Wood is from Mr. Barr himself. I got it for my 75g, never used it.

Configuration changed a little bit, but is largely the same.

You may not be able to tell by the last photo, but I screwed it together with stainless steel screws. They were $7 for a pouch, but worth not worrying about zinc or other metals in my water.

Washed the tank out and then added black diamond blasting sand, my substrate of choice.

Submerged the substrate to let it absorb water and added some moss. I forget what kind this is. It is sort of like anchor moss, but it isn't.

A before shot of my 75g. I had to steal some plants from it!

Large chunk of dwarf sag removed.

Several crypts missing from the end.

My aquascaping included throwing plants around. Whatever stuck is where it went.

Planted and filling

Completely filled. The wood sunk on it's own, so I did remove the tiles later.

And just for a run down of the equipment: I'm reusing a sunsun302, media from my sump, and a sponge filter on the intake of my canister.

Future plans really only include moving my red cherry shrimp population from my sump to this tank. I have to clean my sump, so the timing is perfect. I also have a light coming in the mail. It should be here on the 19th, so tomorrow. I'll post some more photos, but it is just a simple tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For future reference...did you do pilot holes to keep the wood from splitting?
This may or may not appeal to you but regular baby tears, if a few strands of it are
draped across/in-between the tops of that "tree stump"...will drop many roots which
will dangle in a cool manner A and cover the top of the wood...and grow emersed form
as some of it becomes that as it breaks the waters surface. This plant when trimmed
quickly sprout new growth resulting in the obvious trimmed look only lasting 3-5 days.
The emersed version appearing to be dwarf baby tears the leaves of it are tiny.
The only negative side being the faster than you might expect growth rate. But the easy trimming part is added to by the fact that the trimmings float...easy to remove them. This will shade that which it grows over, but you control how much that is/w trimming. A couple of pictures of it going this route on top of a partition baffel in my
tank. The flat top is because of a glass cover it is under. When I first started it.
You can see a small piece of it at the top on that partition top at this point.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=43369
Later showing it trimmed at the bottom and that top part better developed.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=51554
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=52546
That part on the top of the water but still that growth on top of the baffel.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=50361
Don't mind the failed attempt to decorate the back and end walls/w fine gravel.
Tank is being replaced, but was the first in my experimental DIY built in bio-only
filter designs so till now I've been reluctant to get rid of it. Ah nostalgia, what other projects are you holding me back on...LOL...
You could even just wrap up a small ball of it to be placed just on the top only of the
stump and only allow a couple of stems to overhang the edges of it so as not to create much if any noticeable amount of shade other than just the very top of the stump.
Just an option...your tank as always...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
For future reference...did you do pilot holes to keep the wood from splitting?
Yes I did. I also took a larger bit and counter sunk the screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
This may or may not appeal to you but regular baby tears, if a few strands of it are
draped across/in-between the tops of that "tree stump"...will drop many roots which
will dangle in a cool manner A and cover the top of the wood...and grow emersed form
as some of it becomes that as it breaks the waters surface. This plant when trimmed
quickly sprout new growth resulting in the obvious trimmed look only lasting 3-5 days.
The emersed version appearing to be dwarf baby tears the leaves of it are tiny.
The only negative side being the faster than you might expect growth rate. But the easy trimming part is added to by the fact that the trimmings float...easy to remove them. This will shade that which it grows over, but you control how much that is/w trimming. A couple of pictures of it going this route on top of a partition baffel in my
tank. The flat top is because of a glass cover it is under. When I first started it.
You can see a small piece of it at the top on that partition top at this point.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=43369
Later showing it trimmed at the bottom and that top part better developed.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=51554
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=52546
That part on the top of the water but still that growth on top of the baffel.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=50361
Don't mind the failed attempt to decorate the back and end walls/w fine gravel.
Tank is being replaced, but was the first in my experimental DIY built in bio-only
filter designs so till now I've been reluctant to get rid of it. Ah nostalgia, what other projects are you holding me back on...LOL...
You could even just wrap up a small ball of it to be placed just on the top only of the
stump and only allow a couple of stems to overhang the edges of it so as not to create much if any noticeable amount of shade other than just the very top of the stump.
Just an option...your tank as always...
This is a neat idea and I actually do like it. I'm not sure how well I could execute it. My LFS sells baby tears if I recall correctly. I'll check into it!

Also, an update. This is something I am particularly proud of! It is a generic sponge filter that I stuffed the intake of the canister filter into. The sponge has been in my sump, running with the shrimp, for 6 months or so.

A full tank shot. I'm not sure what the plants floating around are, but they were in the sump with the shrimp and the shrimp seemed to enjoy them.

The current set up. This was the light that was in my sump. It will be replaced tomorrow.

And now a bunch of shots of the RCS

I'll post photos from time to time, but I'm glad to have my shrimp out of the sump and visible.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's already got a somewhat overgrown feel which is cool.

I had a good chuckle regarding your plant positioning technique.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
It's already got a somewhat overgrown feel which is cool.

I had a good chuckle regarding your plant positioning technique.
I'm glad I could plant the tank more heavily than in the past. Farming plants from a larger tank makes it so much easier!

Also, my aquascaping skills are severely limited, so that was the best I could do

I may pick up some otos for the tank. I may not. I'm unsure right now. I think I'll just let the whole tank grow in. My new LED should be here today. From the par readings I found, it should be right at 30~ par to the substrate. A little less with my dirty glass lids and a bit less 6" off to the side. Should be perfect!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I sprung the $30 and bought a beamswork's hi lumen 60 (24" model) for this tank. I took a bunch of photos of the unboxing and I'll do an actual review after a few months of use. I'll grab some par data with my DIY meter in the future too.

Anyway, the unboxing photos:

Now some before photos:

And after:

The first, last, and only time I'll use the night light:

And a shot of the fixture itself.

Overall, I'm pleased. The focused light in the middle of the tank was neat looking with the stump, but I think the even light is just way better as far as growing plants is concerned. The shrimp also pop with this light. Like I said, I'll collect some DIY PAR data and compare it to my CFL lighting PAR and post a review in some time. As for now, the light looks great.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Algae Grower

Bravo! Very natural looking tank. It looks like a real tree stump and the moss just makes it that much better.

~Alex
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium_Alex View Post
Bravo! Very natural looking tank. It looks like a real tree stump and the moss just makes it that much better.
Thanks! I wasn't really going for a stump look at first. I just wanted to tie several pieces of my drift wood together and it came out looking like a stump to me. I've always liked the look of moss. Hopefully it spreads well. My luck with moss is really hit and miss.

I will likely be doing a water change today since the driftwood seems to be leaking some more tannins. It doesn't bother me a lot, I just prefer slightly clearer water. I know the shrimp should be fine since tannins are natural and many fish enjoy tannins.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Today was the second greatest day of my life. I witness my shrimp give birth. Just for reference, way more interesting than child birth.

Here is one of TWO shrimp I saw today fanning out baby shrimlets.

I think I found 4 other shrimp with saddles. That is, if this shrimp has a saddle.

I also picked up two small zebra nerite snails.

Lastly, I picked up three otos because I just can't have a tank without them. I'll supplement the lack of algae with wafers and blanched veggies.

That's the limits of my stocking though. I have all three things my wife loves. 1. Shrimpies, check. 2. Gary the snail(s), check. 3. The three stooges (what she named my first batch of otos), check. So this tank is obviously a hit with the wife. She loves it! Which is super great.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Today was the second greatest day of my life. I witness my shrimp give birth. Just for reference, way more interesting than child birth.
LMFAO

Things only heard from an aquariast! You know you are addicted when...

That being said, the first time a had angel babies was high up on my list of most awesome things as well!

Congrats on the shrimplets!

I love the look of the wood, nice and craggly (is that a word?) which gives it some real nice authenticity.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks! I don't know why, but it was just so exciting and felt so good. I felt like what I was doing actually mattered. Not that I rescued the shrimp from a petstore or anything like that, but to see them actually breeding was awesome. The fact that I got to witness little shrimp spin out of the mother and swim away was awesome. I'm really glad I went with the sponge over the intake too. It should keep all my shrimp safe.

Thank again on the wood. It just took awhile to get things worked out and it didn't make it's way into my 75g, but I held onto it. It really works well in this tank since I don't have fish that need swimming space. I'll accept craggly as a compliment even though the internet says it isn't a word.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

A quick update! I tested my water, very pleased. Zero ammonia, nitrite and less than 5ppm nitrate. The water sample on the right is my 75g, closer to 20-40ppm nitrate before the water change.

My RCS enjoy the frogbit I picked up. They always have!

The molting is a good sign. I have several berried females now. They are coming out more and more and I'm spotting a lot of them.

And a full tank shot. Everyone seems to be enjoying it. There is no shortage of hiding spots here.

I wish this tank had more of a 'build' thread. It was mostly just setup and go. I'll periodically update it like I do my 75g and just enjoy it.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Planted Member

I like that frogbit. I'll have to look for some.

20G High
Fluval Edge 6G
Fluval Spec V
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I dig it. Extremely natural looking if you ask me!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAXNAZ View Post
I like that frogbit. I'll have to look for some.
If it grows anything like it has in the past, I'll be giving tons away before long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
I dig it. Extremely natural looking if you ask me!
Thanks! That was the goal more than anything. It is by no means a show stopping display of aquascaping, but I think it is natural. Without predators, the shrimp come out of hiding a lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode