Low Tech 20g Long - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By VegasSurfer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Low Tech 20g Long

I've decided to start up a tank after 2-3 years out of the planted tank hobby, and I plan to use this as a way to document my progress. Moving up to college and settling in my apartment has finally given me the opportunity to put some time and effort into a planted setup.

Tank specs:
Size - 20 gallon long
Substrate - Organic soil capped with Eco complete
Filtration - AquaClear 20
Lighting - Odyssea 24" 48watt t5 with 6500k bulbs

Flora:
Staurogyne repens
Ludwigia rubins
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Blyxa japonica

Fauna:
x8 white cloud mountain minnows, for now
I plan to focus more on getting the plants rolling first and then worry about stocking the tank.

Day 1:

The only things in there to start were salvinia minima to help soak up the excess nutrients, malaysian trumpet snails, and plenty of tannins. This is how the tank remained until about a week later when plants arrived.

Day 1 of planting:

The crypts arrived in rough shape which is fine because the leaves will melt anyway. The b. japonica, s. repens, and l. rubins all came healthy and were easily propagated to form many new plantlets.

A few days after planting:

The crypts melted just as I expected, but new leaves are already coming in to replace the old ones. The rest of the plants haven't experienced many major differences besides rooting in and just beginning to produce new leaves. I've also added the white clouds at this point because the tank was looking a little lifeless, and the minnows have had no problem fixing that issue!

Here is what the tank currently looks like, with the addition of a black background.
Raymond S. and Tiptop like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice! Those stauros came very big(atleast compared to mine). I'd like to see how they fill out.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Great progress.
HOB on the end of the tank? IMO the best configuration for water circulation using an HOB filter. Will be watching...

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Great progress.
HOB on the end of the tank? IMO the best configuration for water circulation using an HOB filter. Will be watching...
Thank you!! The back of the tank is pushed all the way against the wall so I had to arrange the filter on the end no matter what. But the flow really does disperse across the tank much more efficiently when coming from the side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
Nice! Those stauros came very big(atleast compared to mine). I'd like to see how they fill out.
I got them all as ~6" stems and cut them up into lots of small stems. There are a bunch of new leaves popping up so we'll see!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You'll probably hate me for this, but my Odyssea fixture in my 10g tank(same height)
wouldn't stop growing Cladophora till I removed one of the bulbs from it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
You'll probably hate me for this, but my Odyssea fixture in my 10g tank(same height)
wouldn't stop growing Cladophora till I removed one of the bulbs from it.
I'm reading that cladophora is often caused by being introduced into your tank when adding contaminated plants? Is it also caused by excess lighting? I've only done a brief google search so I apologize if I am incorrect!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Does need to come in. Won't be created by high light if the spores or pieces of it aren't introduced into the tank. Plants need light/nutrients(ferts)/CO2 to live/grow.
Learning to balance those is a major part of a successful planted tank.
Off balance = poor plant growth. Right now you are...LIGHTS/ferts/co2.
Once established you almost can't get rid of Cladophora completely.
One of my 10g tanks/w that Odyssea. While it still had two bulbs in it.
Not yet fully covered. Just had started on the bottom.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=60930
Year and one half later/w one bulb and learning more about it.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/im.../pg_12314e.jpg

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One month planted!!

After a month since the initial planting, a few changes have been made in order to balance out my aquarium. My lighting greatly outweighed the amount of available Co2+fertilizer, therefore I experienced a slight battle with algae initially. As suggested earlier by Raymond, I limited the bulbs in my t5 to only one. This lowered the lighting to 24 watts from a single t5 at about 14" from the substrate. In addition, I have introduced daily dosing of Flourish Excel into the system. With both of these tactics combined, the algae growing mainly on the wood, glass, and ludwigia rubins has greatly receded.

Here is a full shot of the tank -

The blyxa japonica and crypts have shown the most growth so far. Both species have thickened out quite a bit since the were planted. Staurogyne repens has given me some trouble, however. Before the excel it was growing at a steady rate, and once I started dosing it began to wither in some places. Mainly the old leaves were impacted. Other than that I have been trying to trim the ludwigia often to fill in the back a little more. Please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode