OOPS! - Sorry folks, I have been preoccupied and not following my threads.
The tank has changed a bit.
I lost my first batch of Sulawesi shrimp. This is discussed in another thread but basically I had a painful learning experience.
The tank got a few more plants and a few new residents - Threadfin rainbows and some Red Neon Gobies. These are both cool fish and pretty shrimp friendly. I put some wild type Neocaridina in the tank too and they bred like crazy!
Here is a full tank shot from a couple months back (Feb)
My goal was to keep things going and try to import some more Sulawesi shrimp in the spring. After my first experience, I did not want to put all my eggs in one basket so I added two 10 gallon tanks - one is a self contained 10 gallon with inert sand and pebble substrate. It has a sponge filter and I made sure there were no snails to compete with the shrimp.
The other ten gallon is attached to the 60 gallons filter system. I wanted to create a small environment where I could control the supplemental feeding and keep better track of the shrimp. BUT, I still wanted to have the stability of a larger body of water. My original design had a third outlet from the main filters that was not being used. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the ten gallon and put a sponge on a standard 1 inch strainer to diffuse the flow. On the opposite side of the tank, I created an over flow by drilling through the side wall at the top of the tank. This keeps a constant water level in the tank. Effectively, the 60 gallon serves as a sump!.
The tank showing the sponge diffuser for the inflow.
A broader view showing the over flow into the 60 gallon
A close up of the 1 inch overflow
. The tank has a measure 102 gallon per hour flow through it with very little current. This is due to the sponge inlet with essentially a 360 degree directional flow through a 1 inch pipe.
I also wanted to isolate the ten gallon from any pathogens in the big tank so a 15 watt UV system was put inline just before the ten gallon
The two ten gallons are side by side and share a 2 bulb 24 inch Fish Need It T5HO light:
The 60 gallon got a slight up grade to the chemical filter. I was able to create a fluidized Purigen reactor
. This allows the water to come in contact with more of the resin and improves efficiency. I wanted to remove organics as quickly as possible:
The 60 gallon - right side
The middle (I dare you to cross the line...)
Some of the new residents
White Orchids (from Lake Poso I believe)
Cardinals - C. dennerli, from Lake Matano
Blue Dot Red Lines - a variant of C. striata, from Lake Towuti
An unexpected stowaway in the White orchids, C. longidigita, a filter feeder from Lake Poso
Knock on wood. So far things are going well. I have white orchid and Blue Dot Redline shrimplets (berried females when I got them). I also have two Cardinals that have become berried in my tanks.