Beginning a Sulawesi tank *update 4/21* - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Vals would look good with those substrates you have in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks Hydrophyte. Here are some plant species lists from an Indosesian site

Lake Matano

Species Red Data Book Cites
Calophyllum sp.
Cyperus halpan
Cyperus pumilus
Eleocharis atropurpurea
Eleocharis dulcis
Eleocharis geniculata
Eriocaulon longifolium
Fimbristylis celebica
Fimbristylis dichotoma
Fimbristylis schoenoides
Fuirena umbellata

Lepironia articulata
Lycopodium cernuum
Machaerina disticha
Najas graminea
Nepenthes mirabilis
Nymphoides parvifolia
Ottelia alismoides
Ottelia mesenterium
Panicum repens
Phragmites karka
Rhynchospora corymbosa
Rhynchospora rubra
Scirpus mucronatus
Scleria poaeformis
Utricularia bifida

Lake Towuti
Alternanthera sessilis
Blyxa auberti
Colocasia esculenta
Cyperus compactus
Cyperus cyperoides
Eleocharis dulcis
Fimbristylis celebica
Fimbristylis dichotoma
Fimbristylis globulosa
Ipomoea aquatica
Lepironia articulata
Limnocharis flava
Ludwigia adscendens
Machaerina disticha
Monochoria vaginalis
Najas graminea
Nepenthes mirabilis
Nymphoides parvifolia
Ottelia alismoides
Ottelia mesenterium
Paspalum sp.
Polygonum pulchrum

Ottelia mesenterium is a cool looking plant that grows in fairly deep water - 1.6 meters in one account I read. Looks like a giant Downoi.

There are some great pictures of the flora and fauna of the sulawesi lakes at this Japanese Site:

http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia...anaomatano.htm

http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia-sulawesi-danao.htm

http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia...-danaoposo.htm
http://equator.web.fc2.com/indonesia...anaomatano.htm

Last edited by billb; 10-05-2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: fix picture links
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Algae Grower

Are you doing anything in terms of fish, or is this strictly going to be a shrimp breeding tank?

Celebes rainbowfish are easy to find of course. A little harder, but still traded, are the various Celebes ricefish - I suppose the Japanese ricefish wouldn't be the worst stand-ins.

Probably the most interesting would be a halfbeak though. Cebeles halfbeaks are fairly easy to get in the hobby, and given they don't leave the surface much, my guess is they wouldn't hassle shrimplets much. They tend to like water a bit more acidic, but should do fine in the 7.5-8 range if properly acclimated.
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi Telephasic,

The halfbeak suggestion is a good one. There are species native to these lakes ( you can see them in one of the pictures in the links above....)

I will wait until I get things going and have a successful colony before deciding to add any fish - at $15+ a pop for these shrimp, that could be expensive snack!
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:22 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

This is going to be really fun! Subscribed!

post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A couple changes

Well I convinced myself that I needed to beef up the rock work a bit. The snails plowed through the sand pretty well so some of the character of the tank was lost. You can follow the furrows to see where they went at night! So, I wanted to add more permanent features and increase the areas for the shrimp to shelter in. There are a few plants and a little moss, mostly to test them in this environment I will add more over time, but this will never be a plant heavy scape

some comparison pics:

Original

Tweaked

The new residents like the cave on the right side...

Some shameless filter shots

the Big Blue filter and cartridge compared to the Ocean Clear cartridge. It's kind of ugly but hey this is in the garage. More filter options and it is definitely less expensive.

The filter system

The manifold. That hose fitting is the best feature of the whole tank, water changes are a breeze.

Final notes:

The water now stays at a pH of 7.2. The ADA malaya is not strong enough to over come all of the crushed coral. I am now doing 5gallons a day with RO water that has been sitting over night in a 5 gallon bucket with some crushed coral sand - pH is about 8.3. this yeilds about 3 gallons and the other two is made up of treated tap water. pH about 8

plenty more to do!

thanks

Bill
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to SvenBoogie
Very interesting tank, looking forward to seeing this come together. Wish I could keep these guys, but far too po'.

post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Planted Member

They say on the ADA website that the Malaya has the strongest acidifying effect of the aquasoils, but I don't think it will last very long with all that crushed coral.
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Algae Farmer

Hey that looks great. Do you have some kind of a schematic of how you did the plumbing? I am assuming you plumbed an easy water change capability into this from the looks of it.

I also didn't see what pump you are using, did I miss that?

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals: 55g, 10g
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Invertz Factory's got some Sulawesi Black Gobies listed. Check those out, might be a good addition to your tank

-Donny
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenBoogie View Post
Very interesting tank, looking forward to seeing this come together. Wish I could keep these guys, but far too po'.
This tank is fascinating--really different.
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Jman - The buffering is not ideal. I did want a substrate that is plant friendly and with regular water changes, I think we are getting a slow rise in pH. The tank is now at 7.3. I want to see this closer to 7.8 though.

Regloh - This is my second closed loop system and I did change some things. The best schematic is on a thread by Scolley. search for Son of Kahuna on this forum and Steve does have a schematic. I can tell you that I use teflon paste instead of tape on the joints when I need threaded connections. I also use solvent more as these joints tend to be leak proof but always have unions and ball valves between each component. I generall create a true union by having a union-ball valve-union inbetween everything. This allows you to remove any peice in the chain with out flooding the place!
Oh - and the pump is a BlueLine Velcocity T3 - I love these, virtually silent and pumps 800 gph at 3' head, 240gph at 24' head height.

dxiong5 - I read the post on the black gobies - pretty cool. I am pretty certain they would love some cardinal snacks how ever. I am keeping this invert only for now

Bill
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
This tank is fascinating--really different.
Thanks, but look who's talking! I have never seen a riparium before and you are the guy who designed the stands I use!

Thanks for the inspirations!

Bill
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

function over form

OK, well I have officially become Sulawesi obsessed. I have been spending sleepless nights scouring forums in many places for information on keeping these beautiful shrimp and learning alot about them, their natural environment, and how they are being kept. So, I have made some changes to the tank that in my opinion detract from it's aesthetic potential but increases the suitability of the tank to house a pile of these critters.

I will probably should start a new thread to discuss my adventures with these shrimp in the invert forum as much of what will occur in the future will be more tank occupant focused as opposed to tank/plant focused.

The new stuff - designed to increase the pH and decrease the tank nutrient level
The Malili lake system in Sulawesi has very clean, low nutrient water. They are considered to be an oligotrophic environment (low nutrient). Here is a link to a german site with water parameters
http://www.garnelenhaus.de/pageflip/...t-sulawesi.pdf

Water Parameters Mantano Lake
Temperature: 29.5 C
pH: 8.6
gH: 7
kH: 5
Conductivity: 227
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Iron, Copper: 0
Phosphate: 1

Water Parameters Towuti Lake
Temperature average: 30 C
- up to 40cm depth: 32 C
- in 300cm depth: 29 C
pH: 8.3
gH: 6
kH: 5-6
Conductivity: 181
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 2
Iron, Copper: 0

pH of both lakes - 8+
Nitrates - zero, no EI dosing in this tank
gH and kH - middle single digits.

So, my pH was around 7.3. I could use my San Diego tap water - and I did at first -as it comes out about 8.2 or so. The problem is my TDS is around 500 and the kH and GH are at least double that found in these lakes.

So, I could just throw in more crushed coral sand to help drive up the pH but it would also drive up the gH and kH - too much surface area. The solution, distilled from much reading, was to use a larger chunk of calcareous rock in the tank, put coral chips or shells in the filter and use 100% RO water stored over night in a bucket with coral chips(pH 8.3, gH 2, kH 2).
It has worked! My water parameters - kH 4-5; gH 8. The is pH 7.7 and slowly rising with each water change as the Aqua soil is over powered.

So here are the pics:

Thes shrimp need a well oxygenated tank so an old diffuser makes a good airstone

A closer look at the fossilized coral ( collected by a rock hound out in the California desert)

The Cardinal shrimp cave. Hard to see it here but there are several over hangs and a deep cave that the shrimp hang out in. They have not really bothered to explore the new rock in the middle of the tank - they like this structure.

A view through the end of the tank. The plants are small, (OK, tiny) Eriocaulon sp "sulawesi". The grey fuzzy thing on the substrate is one of the two sponge prefilters that leads to the filter system through the bulkhead in the tank floor.

The Home depot bucket conditioning the RO water with coral chips

Now, the filter stuff. I mixed purigen resin plus crushed shells 50/50 and filled up two 8" x3" mesh bags.

Here is the 10" water filter housing containing a resin cartridge holding the two mesh bags. I stuffed some filter floss in the gaps to drive more flow through the bags.

Well, I think that sums up the new additions. Hopefully I can keep these guys successfully.
gmdiaz likes this.
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Planted Member

Absolutely awesome !!

Subscribed for sure. It looks almost like in the pictures and I think it's genius how you figured out how to get the water values right. And I love the plumbing job you did on this. -Very cool! Did you see the video of the Sulawesi trip on the Logemann's website yet?

BTW, Bill need to hurry up to get the picture attachment thing figured out at his forum, so you can post all that there too. They are totally missing out!

~Vanessa

16 gallon "Bookshelf"
70 gallon
(5) 10gal
20gal Long

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode