- Eleocharis sp. Belem

- Hydrocotyle sp. Japan

- Hygrophila pinnatifida

- Microsorum pteropus sp. Needle

- Microsorum pteropus sp. Trident

- Riccardia chamedryfolia

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice. You gave me an example of how to use the height of the tank. Mine are all flat
bottom/w nothing above that except for how tall the plants are.
FWIW...one of those Bolbitus is a land version of that plant. Will live for a few months under water.

#4 ·
I'm glad it's a good example haha. Wish everything was picture perfect for you, but I like the scape a lot even at this point in time.

Are you talking about the B. heteroclita? I've actually have had a lot of success long term. The one in this tank, all the way on the left kinda mixed with the H. pinnatifida has been grown 100% submerged and is growing faster than the other Bolbitis while retaining its signature opaque green.

#5 ·
Thinking instead of knowing that there are two Bolbitus plants, I read an article which said one was a terrestrial plant that won't live if used in an aquarium. The source may have been Google but not sure on that.
Have seen other similar scapes, but each drives me closer to attempting one.

#9 ·

A week later update. A lot of mini Pellia die off and I'm losing some leaves on both my Bolbitis. I'm going to blame the really high temperatures this week. Good news includes the pinnatifida rooting and it seems the hair grass has established itself. No sign of algae yet.

#12 ·
Looking good! That shape of you layout is expertly complimented by your planting. Well done!

Are you dosing Excel? MP, I seem to recall, acts funny with Excel. And when I say "acts funny" I mean "doesn't like a lot of it." Some's okay, but not too much. If you're not dosing Excel, it could indeed be the high temps. Give it time, it should bounce back.

#14 ·

This scape is going through a lot oh my. I took out the bolbitis because it was too big and I succumbed to my go to plant Anubias nana petite to fill it in. Added some moss too to fill in the scape. Lots of diatoms and other miscellaneous algae on the rocks, need to get an Amano shrimp and a nerite, but that no car life tho. It also needs a good water change. I see so much die off, I need CO2 but the money $$$$ the struggles of college life. Mini Pellia is coming back which is good. The hairgrass is established which makes me feel better and the bolbitis mini hasn't died which is always a plus. Wish me luck friends.

#17 ·
Have you considered DIY CO2 for this tank? It can be done cheaply and easily. You don't even need a glass diffuser. Just use a piece of a wooden chopstick. Your plants are looking so healthy, they might appreciate even more care.

I don't think I'd change a thing in terms of your plant selection. (Except if the MP ends up not making it, a moss on the branches in it's place.) You're showing considerable artistic restraint by keeping the plant pallet simple yet elegant.

I recently got the same light. I really like it.

#18 ·
I haven't because I really hate DIY CO2. I don't like not having the ability to control the amount and the everything. I mostly need CO2 to control the algae but I think I'll be okay once I get a clean up crew (waiting for all my plants to fully establish). Ugly you make me so happy with your compliments haha, honestly I talk big but my scaping is meh.

Lots of diatoms, added an Amano shrimp, Mini Pellia bounced back.

#19 ·

I miss the days that this scape's water was crystal clear. Got otos, Amano shrimp, and a nerite snail and they did work on the algae, but I still got some GDA here and there. I forgot how slow hair grass is without CO2. Could look better, but I'm happy with where it is so far.

#23 ·
I love seeing this tank come up -love the scape- but, kick myself every time because I've mostly forgotten my Korean even though I lived over there for roughly 6 years... & the craving for KyoChon chicken & Samgyupsal. I can still write my name though! Looking forward to updates! 맥

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.