Goldfish "Planted" Tank - My Attempt - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Goldfish "Planted" Tank - My Attempt

Attaching a few pics of my attempt of a planted goldfish tank. I'd love to get people's opinions, as well as receive any suggestions to make the tank look better, bearing in mind it's not easy with a goldfish!

I have a normal goldfish (non fancy), so needless to say he tears up or eats most plants (which I found the hard way over many month of experimentation). I found a good balance now with Java ferns and different types of crypts.

One thing that really helped me was potting crypts in a glass container, so that I could offer quality soil substrate with root tabs, because using soil substrate across the whole tank isn't an option with goldfish! Also make's it easier to clean, since they're quite messy. This is a 10 gallon, I will upgrade shortly (I know it's small for a goldfish, but compared to the fish bowl he was in this is way better!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 1839_3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	525473  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 1800_2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	525481  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 05:58 AM
Algae Grower

Looking good so far
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 06:07 AM
Algae Grower

Looks pretty good, just out of curiosity, why do you want to keep a goldfish? why not pick some other fish species and make a planted tank?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 06:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Glad you found something that works for you.
If you want the tank to look better, might I suggest placing more rocks in, but pile them at the bases of the pots. That way the pots are less obvious, and more protected from the fish.
Have fun with the tank. Your fish colour contrasts nicely with what you have.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Glad you found something that works for you.
If you want the tank to look better, might I suggest placing more rocks in, but pile them at the bases of the pots. That way the pots are less obvious, and more protected from the fish.
Have fun with the tank. Your fish colour contrasts nicely with what you have.
That's an interesting suggestion. Thanks!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsellers View Post
Looks pretty good, just out of curiosity, why do you want to keep a goldfish? why not pick some other fish species and make a planted tank?
My family bought 3 goldfish as a part of Persian New Years (as a standard, you have to buy goldfish for good luck). Two of them died in fish bowls, and I felt really bad for the last one so I wanted to give him a proper home. I would have definitely never bought a goldfish on my own, but then again would have never started the hobby if I wasn't first forced into it like I was. At this point I can't let him go, but I may have two tanks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

I like the tank a lot. I would plan for a bigger tank for sure, a goldfish in a 10g is still too small. One goldfish alone in a 30g is probably the minimum you want to do based on the size he'll grow to and how much waste (ammonia) he'll produce. Goldfish are some of the messiest aquarium fish out there.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496
25g 60-P iwagumi , 33g iwagumi cube, 125g high tech 7g cube, 75g low tech angelfish tank
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
I like the tank a lot. I would plan for a bigger tank for sure, a goldfish in a 10g is still too small. One goldfish alone in a 30g is probably the minimum you want to do based on the size he'll grow to and how much waste (ammonia) he'll produce. Goldfish are some of the messiest aquarium fish out there.
@exv152 in the OP he did mention he realized the tank is small and is planning on upgrading. This setup seems to be a temp upgrade from the bowl the fish was originally housed in due to Persian New Year.

Last edited by Tihsho; 10-05-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: quote
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
@exv152 in the OP he did mention he realized the tank is small and is planning on upgrading. This setup seems to be a temp upgrade from the bowl the fish was originally housed in due to Persian New Year.
Hence the part where I said "...for sure" which means I acknowledge it and I'm adding to it.

Eheim Pimp Club,# 496
25g 60-P iwagumi , 33g iwagumi cube, 125g high tech 7g cube, 75g low tech angelfish tank
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

@exv152 sorry, my bad. Reading is hard...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 12:04 AM

I wouldn't judge because I just started so I would say it's a work in progress.

Tags
goldfish, goldfish plants

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode