10 Gallon Tank's Trek - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
10 Gallon Tank's Trek

hi all- so i started a 10 gallon tank about 7 days ago. no fish yet, just dwarf hairgrass and bacopa.
10 gallon aqueon tank ( $1/gallon petsmart sale)
50 watt marineland heater
300 gph cascade power filter
incandescent strip light w/ 2 7 watt cfl 5500k bulbs
1 bag of 20 lbs eco-complete
1 arc de triumphe (lol)

dwarf hairgrass

i broke the hairgrass up into clumps. they seem to be slowing growing. filter has no carbon in it, just a wad of filter foam. i might change that up. anyway, gonna add some fish soon. pics below. thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0027_1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	523641  

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:43 PM
Wannabe Guru
Hello and welcome to TPT.

Nice start. Are you testing your water to see if the tank is ready for fish? Ie how are you cycling it?

You mentioned that the dwarf hair grass DHG is slowing down its growth? I have not tried this plant yet but I see a lot of forum members recommending breaking it apart into much smaller clumps for planting. And fertilizers. Both in the substrate and water column. Eco-complete is alas not complete in nutrients. It can adsorb it for release to the plants later on.

You mentioned changing up the filter foam? Are you adding bio media?

Anyways, good luck with the set-up.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru
DHG seems to do better when the individual sprouts are planted. Less deaths of individual plants that way... FWIW Two or three in a bunch just as good. It took 8 months in my non-injected tank for it to start sending out runners.
If possible try three layers of sponge/foam for the media. The third one being the bio-media should not be messed/w. Let the others keep that one clean enough to do it's job.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
oh i forgot to mention that there's an aquaclear 20 powerhead in the tank too with a sponge on it. but i will probably pull it up and put the sponge on the cascade's intake pipe. i want to add a lot of plants to the tank. maybe add more light to the tank as well.

thanks daisy mae on the idea for the test kit. i was thinking the same myself to keep track of parameters.
yeah, i agree raymond. i may separate the hair grass into smaller clumps. i bought some fertilizers, kent pro-plant and kent iron+manganese. the filter is old and when i moved i pitched the foam, including the black bio foam sponge they gave. just setup the tank so i figure i would just buy some foam at the store that looks porous and stuff, like the manufacturer's. i'm cheap lol.
another pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0031_1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	523769  

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
If you could spare the time, I would separate the hairgrass more and plant them with 3-4 blades, the carpet fills in faster and more uniform that way. Also, for your filter, consider some sort of bio filtration. The AquaClear bio-max is pretty reliable and I use it for all my HOBs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
well i plan to go to petsmart tomorrow morning and see what they have for bio-media. lol, i'm just gonna see what they have and what might work! i like aquaclear media because it's ceramic and therefore re-usable i guess. and yes, i totally plan to separate the hairgrass into smaller clumps of like 3-6 grass strands each. i'll post pics! should be fun!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode