The Planted Tank Forum banner

Glimpse - ADA 45P

8K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  Mumford 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread will follow the journey of Glimpse, an ADA 45P Cube Garden.

10/29/15

10/19/15

10/15/15

Equipment:
Tank - ADA 45P
Stand - Innovative Marine NUVO 38 (white)
Filter - Eheim 2215 (classic 350)
Lily Pipes - no name knockoffs
Light - 18" Current Satellite + Pro
Substrate - ADA Amazonia (9L)
CO2 Regulator - Milwaukee single stage regulator
CO2 Diffuser - ADA Pollen Glass Type 3
Heater - Hydor ETH 200 Inline Heater

Flora:
Eleocharis "Belem
Fissidens Miroshaki
Fissidens Splachnobryodies (mini)
Mini Pellia
Rotala Green
Rotala Colorata
Rotala Indica
Rotala H'ra
Hygro. Pinnatifida
Ludwigia sp Red
Bylxa Japonica
Hydrocotyle Japan
Bucephalandra Brownie Ghost

Fauna:

See less See more
#12 ·
Looking good, Mum. I've noticed that belem grows pretty quickly submersed in CO2-enriched tanks, so that one week DSM you've got planned might be just perfect.

What are the other plants that you have planned for this scape?

Also, what is that beneath your substrate? It appears to be a riser of some sort.

#13 ·
Thanks mate! Yeah I'm thinking the same thing.

I've got two types of tiny fissidens on the way along with some mini pellia, R. Green, R. Colorata, bylxa, hydrocotyle japan, and buce brownie ghost. That should get me started but I'm not sure how I'm going to lay it all out. I've got about 3 days to figure it out.

And are you referring to the ADA garden mat below the tank? There's nothing in the tank itself.

#14 · (Edited)
Well that DSM was the shortest I've heard of lol.

My fissidens arrived (thanks Jimko!) and were drying out too much so I flooded her!

24 hours later:
ammonia - 5ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 5ppm

Planning on 50% daily changes for the next couple weeks. Rest of the plants are coming tomorrow ;)

#18 ·
The tank's looking great, Mum. Clean and elegant.
Once the moss, et al cover the branches, man, you're going to have a real looker there.

I personally would not dose for the first two to three weeks. You're using AS and that's already got most of what you need as the majority of you plants are root feeders. After three weeks, start with micros and K. Until then, I would just observe the tank and learn its idiosyncrasies, they all have them.

#22 ·
This baby is cycling well!

Added some R. Indica. H. Pinnatifida, and Ludwigia sp Red. R H'ra is on the way as well. Not all these rotalas will be in the final scape but it'll help keep the algae down as I decide which species to keep in the final version of the tank.

Oh, this guy is also on a plane to visit ;)

#23 ·
Looking good! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Oh really? Hmm ok I suppose I'll wait another week or so and see what happens. The only problem I'm foreseeing is that they're bending too low and growing above the driftwood which I'll need for my scape. I'll let them branch for awhile so I can propagate some more and then look into raising it if they keep staying too low

#32 ·
Thanks @Ugly Genius! I'll just let 'em grow out a bit.

In other news I seem to be getting some dark brown algae on some leaves. Looks like it might be diatoms? Wondering if it's time for some clean up crew?

Speaking of a cleanup crew, I'm a little torn on my stocking list. I'm thinking of the following, but I'm afraid it'll be too much:

1 Betta
10 Chili Rasboras
6 Pygmy Cories
5 Otos
3 Amanos
Colony of shrimp

Thoughts on diatoms & fish??

#34 ·
Man things are moving quick in this!

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates 5ppm

The tank is now cycled and I did my first trim/replant on Tuesday.

A lot of the belem is dying off so I'm a little concerned as the the cause of that. In other news I'm also getting some green algae and I can't determine what it is:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.