Reglohs 10ga office tank *56k warning* - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, those bastards are going back home then, before I order more shrimp...

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals: 55g, 10g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okidoki....
the next batch of shrimp spent the last 5 hours drip acclimating in a vase

Thanks to epicfish, who once again managed to ship these guys without heatpack across the country without any DOA

They are now in the tank, while the rasboras are in their bus home (glad container). I'll have them in the tank at home in a few hours... they will be much happier there anyway...

I also removed the huge java fern to take home... I had some offshoots that I attached to another piece of DW I bought a couple of weeks ago.
I also attached some anubias to that.
I am getting a crypt next week and maybe try some more moss for the filter wall.

Here are some pics... sorry about the reflections. My office mate would not appreciate me turning the light off in the middle of the work day

Veggie bits I threw in there for the weekend:

post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Looking good! Glad the shrimpies made it safely, they look good! Can't wait to see the plants grow in!!!

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Kara...

I am quite the beginner at keeping shrimp and it shows... yesterday (after an unattended weekend in the office) I could only count up to 7 shrimp at a time... now keep in mind that the tanins from the peet under the gravel still tinges the water pretty badly and the gravel is also the about the same color as the shrimp. But I did see some floating shrimp parts So I know there have been some casualties...

This morning I counted a lot more (11 or so) out of originally 20 (or so, I think epic always sends some extras). So I am a little more hopefull about keeping them alive this time... It certainly helps that they have the tank for themselves...

I have not dosed any fertilizers in the last few days, but after reading some heated discussions on that topic I decided to resume with my normal EI dosing and Excel. I will take it easy on the nitrates until the plants grow in some more though...

post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i have a 10 gallon for cherry shrimp also, sometimes i'm like 'WHERE THE HECK IS EVERYONE?' and i can only spot like 20 of them and sometimes there's like 40 all right there in plain sight. yours are prob especially hard to see against the tan gravel right now.
could the shrimp parts you saw be molting? were they clear/white?

i dose excel, iron, and trace into this tank with no ill effects. PH 7, temp 73-74

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Keep in mind, shrimp will molt their old shells to grow new ones and a lot of times those molted exoskeletons can look like shrimp parts, so I would bet that's what you saw!

RCS are pretty hardy, and they're really good at hiding, especially if they have just molted, so I bet your have even more in there than you think

Just make sure you supplement them with some fish food and / or an algae wafer if there isn't a lot of natural algae in the tank.

Good luck!

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
Keep in mind, shrimp will molt their old shells to grow new ones and a lot of times those molted exoskeletons can look like shrimp parts, so I would bet that's what you saw!

RCS are pretty hardy, and they're really good at hiding, especially if they have just molted, so I bet your have even more in there than you think

Just make sure you supplement them with some fish food and / or an algae wafer if there isn't a lot of natural algae in the tank.

Good luck!
Yes I am hopeful, they are certainly getting less timid...I now (well today during the workday) frequently see free swimmers... I really should have chosen a different substrate... pea sized gravel has a couple of problems.. for one it is nicely matched in color to the shrimp , but it also is too course so that the shrimp food I bought falls down into the substrate...
I actually saw one of the shrimp start "digging" and getting half into the gravel I hope it was able to free itself again I am thinking of putting a small dish in there and putting the food in there... would make it easier to make an estimate on the number of shrimp as well...

I also feed veggie bits (angelfoodplus.com) and sinking algae wafers from omega one.

post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i try to drop the food onto the driftwood or moss for easy access

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm that's a good idea... too bad I just removed the DW that had nice horizontal faces on it

I'm going to think about wrapping a flat rock in moss... I just don't have either at the moment, rock or moss

post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

then just go with a dish.. they won't care what the food is on

post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regloh View Post
The shrimp are here!!! Red Cherry Shrimp to be exact.

Still a bit pale from the 3 day trip across the country, but VERY lively...
not a single DOA... I am very happy! Thanks epicfish for a great deal on the S&S.

I was a little worried as my harlequin rasboras looked like they were going to go into a feeding frenzy, but they were just a bit startled bu all that activity I think.

At least I didn't see any nibbling on shrimp

I am having a really hard time focussing on work right now...which is why I am posting here

I also bought some anubia barteri for this tank.
I know they will get a bit too big I think, but we'll see. I think I now really have to start thinking about arranging some of these plants. It's kind of a wild disarray at the moment...
so that's what happened to my shrimp :O nooooooo . l had bought like 10 and all were gone after a 2 week vacation. Well atleast now i know

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome... I think I just missed one of my shrimps molting... I looked at it earlier and it seemed to be peeling a bit... at least that's what it looked like...

Now I just saw a reeeaally pale shrimp and I also found a really red empty shell on the floor...

Excuse my giddiness, but I had not seen this before...

On a somewhat unrelated note, I discovered during a water change earlier this week, that my shrimp have figud out how to climp over the filter mat and into the area behind it... very unfortunate, as I don't know how many will get sucked up by the powerhead and get shredded...
I will have to find a way to keep them out of there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode