Reglohs 10ga office tank *56k warning* - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

it looked from your pictures of the set up like the holes in the return tube were facing down, you could try facing them upward to get some surface agitation going temporarily.

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I was thinking something like this as well, but someone... ahem, ahem... designed the filter compartment so small, that my hand doesn't really fit in there
I brought in the air pump from home for now and I will keep the air stone going when my colleague is not in the office. Maybe even put it on a timer and run it at night.

I put it some ferts and excel today, which hopefully is going to get my "fast growing" stems to actually grow fast... somehow I ended up with 1-2 ppm ammonia in 2 days, which I find somewhat odd, but I'll see what it is tomorrow. Maybe I killed all my nice bacteria by not adding fish the same day...

I really thought I read enough posts on this stuff that I wouldn't have this much trouble. Oh well...

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals: 55g, 10g
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fish are going much better after a whole night of aeration. I also chopped and re-planted the plants so they don't fill the whole tank. Makes it easier to find the little guys.

I forgot to mention that I also brought about 2 golf ball size portions of random mosses in that I want to slap in front of that filter. The water flow is doing a reasonable job keeping it in place at the moment. I will do some more arranging when I bring in more plants and wood next week.

I actually realized that I will be away from this tank for a week. I am going on a 2 day trip to europe (don't ask, it will probably kill me) next week and to recover I'm taking Thursday and Friday off. I may have to go to the office in the evenings to check on things I think...

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

the moss should have a lot of nice nitrifying bacteria to help with the cycle too which is good!

Probably not a bad idea to go in to check on the tank a couple times if you can since it's so newly set up, if those stems start throwing out some roots though, that should help a lot!

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes I think I will do that.

Looks like the temperature in the tank now keeps very stable at 75 deg without a heater. Probably a combination of the AC in here keeping the room constant and the pump putting in a very consistent amount of heat to elevate the temp.

I can't believe I am seeing any ammonia with the amount to sludge, the plants, the moss and the fish in there, but I took another reading just now. I am at a solid 2ppm ammonium and .25 ppm nitrite. Maybe the test kit is bad, too. I bought it when I set up my very first tank, I think 5 or 6 years ago... maybe I should go buy a new one, just to make sure...

post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regloh View Post
Yes I think I will do that.

Looks like the temperature in the tank now keeps very stable at 75 deg without a heater. Probably a combination of the AC in here keeping the room constant and the pump putting in a very consistent amount of heat to elevate the temp.

I can't believe I am seeing any ammonia with the amount to sludge, the plants, the moss and the fish in there, but I took another reading just now. I am at a solid 2ppm ammonium and .25 ppm nitrite. Maybe the test kit is bad, too. I bought it when I set up my very first tank, I think 5 or 6 years ago... maybe I should go buy a new one, just to make sure...
Or, do what I do. Stop testing and admire the tank. With everything you put in there, it's going to be fine, IMO.

There's two possibilities here. Either your test kit is good, and you are seeing nitrites on day 2 of a new setup, meaning you will finish a small cycling in 4 days, or your test kit is bad and your tank is already cycled.

Are the fish acting normally?
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes they are now. They are still a little pissed off that I fished them out of the other tank with that ugly green net. I baited them into the net with some food, so now they seem a bit nervous about taking the food I give them, but it's already gotten much better. They swim around the plants in all levels of the tank. They certainly don't seem to be gasping anymore since I aerate.

Actually I took a picture for you guys...

post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like they're happy! Thanks for keeping us updated on this.
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Tank is looking pretty good! And the fish are definitely looking happy Looks like the moss is hanging out right where it's supposed to also, very cool!

Also, definitely have to agree with Kid Creole, if you're already seeing nitrItes, you're well on your way to a cycled tank, maybe hit it with a quick water change to bring the ammonia down a little, but if the fish are acting normal, i'd personally leave well enough alone and just enjoy

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, has it really been 3 months since I updated this last? That means my other jornal has not been updated in even longer... shame on me...

So this little tank has been running pretty well.. One harlequin rasbora somehow didn't make it, but the other 5 look really happy.

I brought in a java fern on some driftwood that looks way to big for this tank, but is seems to like the low light .. Problem is, it shades the rest of the tank and the sunset hygro is turning really leggy...
I just discovered some brown algae ( I think) on the leaves that are really close to the light, but other than that I have not had any algae issues.

I started using the prescribed dosing of Excel along with some dry ferts, when I remember.. Over the holidays I didn't attend to the tank for two weeks, just had an automatic feeder setup with alternating fish food and plant ferts at night... but no excel... The plants didn't like that too much, but now that I am back at work more regularly, they seem much better...

The moss didn't make it.. there are still some shredds of it stuck to the filter matt, but the bulk of it is out... From what I hear around the forum, you can never count out moss, but I'll wait and see...

I will try to take some pictures next week.. my camera is at home...but this is my update..

post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Shrimp added 1/25/2010

The shrimp are here!!! Red Cherry Shrimp to be exact.

Still a bit pale from the 3 day trip across the country, but VERY lively...
not a single DOA... I am very happy! Thanks epicfish for a great deal on the S&S.

I was a little worried as my harlequin rasboras looked like they were going to go into a feeding frenzy, but they were just a bit startled bu all that activity I think.

At least I didn't see any nibbling on shrimp

I am having a really hard time focussing on work right now...which is why I am posting here

I also bought some anubia barteri for this tank.
I know they will get a bit too big I think, but we'll see. I think I now really have to start thinking about arranging some of these plants. It's kind of a wild disarray at the moment...

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

WOOHOO!!! congratulations! That's awesome.

Can't wait to see pics!

30g Low Tech Journal
5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I should know better than to put shrimp into a tank that I havn't at least measured the ph. I think I am again off the scale as the peat moss in the substrate must have lost it's acidity...

The water in my area comes out of the faucet at over 9 and I suppose that's what the tank is at right now... I got two dead shrimp out this morning and only see one moving... The rest of the 20 could be hiding somewhere. I will have to treat some water before I do water changes next...

Last edited by Regloh; 01-26-2010 at 04:20 PM.
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This may be a stupid question, but do Harlequin Rasboras eat Red Cherry Shrimp? I have not seen any in a few days... and a couple of the rasboras look like they are blown up like a balloon.

I can't seem to be able to take a better picture with the camera I have here... I don't know enough about it to figure it out...

post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

If the shrimp were small enough then that's probably what happened.

29g planted - 2 juvie Keyhole Cichlids, 6 Serpaes, 1 juvie ABN Pleco
20 high planted - 1 Betta, 7 Harlequin Rasboras, Snails & Shrimp, 4 ABN fry
20 long - 1 Redclaw Crayfish & Misc Guppies
75g on the way!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode