Reglohs 10ga office tank *56k warning* - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Hoggard, excellent DIY!!

I see you bought the glass and cutter from HD! I actually have that pencil like glass cutter!! You could've borrowed it! I used it cut a glass top for one of my tanks. Took a good bit of practice to get it perfect though.

I think your filtration will be very shrimp friendly. No shrimp kiddies will get sucked into the filter.

You can try one of those 27w hampton lights over the tank? If it's in your office, it should look pretty normal to have a desktop lamp.

Will you have a cover over this tank?
I need to stop by to check it out when it's ready!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh and if you are trying to look for a CFL or plant fixture locally, you're better off picking up one used off the SnS or buying one online. Alot cheaper.
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Matt, I actually bought a standard hood for a 10g a couple of weeks ago. I want to keep this tank low light so this should be enough light... 15w at 6500K...

I also managed to spend a lunch break re-arranging my office. Now I have the space, but I still need to reinforce the filing cabinet that I want to put the tank on. A 3/4" ply wood cover should be sturdy enough...

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals: 55g, 10g
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm had pretty good experience with the regular hoods. I have a 10g with 2 27w cfl spiral bulbs in the hood. It grows the floaters/moss/ferns just fine!

That's crazy you redid your office during lunch break. I wonder what everyone thought!!
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Most people here know that I re-arranged my office to make room for a small fish tank. They still think I'm crazy, but they understand

The 3/4" plywood cover for the filing cabinet is cut, and the spray paint on it is drying. I think tomorrow or Monday I'll bring the tank.

Still need to get little thing like a powerstrip and a timer for the lights. I'll go do that right now...

post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

I am ashamed to say that I didn't do anything yesterday besides placing the plywood cover on the cabinet. I am not quite sure how I should make the whole move.

Should I setup the new tank at home and then try to transport it with low water level? Or, should I bring all the different things to the office one by one and then set it up there. I don't know... maybe I'll move the tank and the plants over on Sunday night and some fishies on Monday when I go to work. I am planing on using 100% water from my old tank for the initial filling. I don't expect much of a cycle that way.

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

How about just leaving the filter in a tank at home, setting up the new tank at work, then bringing in a "seasoned" filter? -Just brainstorming here. I don't think there is a lot of bacteria just floating in the water.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Well the new filter is already built into the tank. I will seed it with filter sludge from my established tank anyway.
Maybe the water isn't so crucial to bring over from the old tank...

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Hey, I did it

Check it out:

Now, I actually went back to work tonight to set this up. After I came back home I then decided to clean the filter on my 55g and make up a nice bag full of disgusting looking brown yucky sludge. When I go to work tomorrow I'll dump that into the tank. That should do it for seeding.

Obviously I have not done anything in terms of aquascaping. My strategy here is to get the filter cycled. I will also give the tank an initial dose of fertilizers. With 15w T8 I don't expect to have to dose much.

Do you guys think it would be too early to put a few rasboras in later this week?

post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Ok, I've got a problem. I think the powerhead in the tank is heating up the water...

I don't seem to be able to get the water down to below 78 deg. which is a little on the warm side for me... I would like to keep it more around 74...

post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

I don't think 78 is a bad temperature, as long as it doesn't creep up to much past that, I prefer my tanks on the lower side temp-wise too, but 78-80 is the upper limit that i'm happy with as long as the temperature is stable, that's the more important thing.

Also, I'd get the fish in there sooner rather than later otherwise all of those happy, healthy bacteria you transferred from your established tank will starve to death with no ammonia to feed on and you'll end up having to cycle the tank fresh. If you're seeding the tank, you need to feed the bacteria to keep them alive and thus avoid a major cycle.

I'll be interested in following this thread, i'm going to set up my 10g tank again when I move and maybe i'll try this form of filtration since i have a little powerhead lying around

*edit* i'm curious, is the glass frame strictly necessary? What if the sponge was fit in very snugly?

30g Low Tech Journal, 5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
1 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
8 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is the back of the hood behind the light fully closed? Are there holes you can poke for HOB filters? If so, opening them up might allow for more evaporation, and might drop the temperature some.
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
I don't think 78 is a bad temperature, as long as it doesn't creep up to much past that, I prefer my tanks on the lower side temp-wise too, but 78-80 is the upper limit that i'm happy with as long as the temperature is stable, that's the more important thing.

Also, I'd get the fish in there sooner rather than later otherwise all of those happy, healthy bacteria you transferred from your established tank will starve to death with no ammonia to feed on and you'll end up having to cycle the tank fresh. If you're seeding the tank, you need to feed the bacteria to keep them alive and thus avoid a major cycle.

I'll be interested in following this thread, i'm going to set up my 10g tank again when I move and maybe i'll try this form of filtration since i have a little powerhead lying around

*edit* i'm curious, is the glass frame strictly necessary? What if the sponge was fit in very snugly?
Ok, you convinced me, I'll be bringing a small school of rasboras in maybe as soon as tonight...
The frame is necessary because you want to avoid any "leaks" allowing the water to bypass the filter. The flowrate in a HMF is very low as it is, but if the water can find it's way around the filter there won't be any filtration. There are HMF that just wedge a slab of filter mat into the side of a tank. in that case you don't need any glass frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid creole View Post
Is the back of the hood behind the light fully closed? Are there holes you can poke for HOB filters? If so, opening them up might allow for more evaporation, and might drop the temperature some.
That is a good idea. The temp is down to 76 after I turned the heater way down, which is good enough for me.

post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Yeah... fishies are in... as many as I was easily able to catch during my lunch break... 6 harlequin rasboras and one very old, half blind, waiting to die neon tetra, not sure how he will do, but he was easy to net...

I did forget to bring fish food in from home, but they will be ok for a day without food...

post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Damn it... I think I have an oxygen issue... (low that is...)
Everyone is at the surface gasping... the neon is already dead...
I don't have an air pump in the office so the earliest I can do something would be tonight... hopefully these guys hang on until then...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode