First attempt - 29 high tech - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaye
  • 1 Post By Jaye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First attempt - 29 high tech

Just about a year ago, I started on my first tank since I was a kid (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). Because I've always been a gardener, it's planted. It was actually my husband's idea, but it's definitely wound up being my tank.

I planted the tank and fed it fish food until it cycled, which took nearly a month. Then we added fish - 3 Platy's and 2 swordtails - from Petco. Two of the Platy's died in pretty short order. We went to an actual fish store for our next fish - Cardinal and Lemon Tetras.

This is how the tank looked in March:

At that point I was using Excel (about 10x recommended) and fertilizing with Seachem liquids.

Then in April we bought a house. We moved the tank with the help of the owner of our LFS (it was so heavily planted that catching the inhabitants was beyond me). At that point we had two Swordtails, one Platy (and many, many fry), 5 salt and pepper Cories (and one juvenile), 7 Cardinals and 6 Lemons. Evan took what turned out to be all but three of the livebearers and their fry back to his store, and we were good to go.

What I hadn't counted on is that our new house is very bright. That's a good thing, but having a fish tank in an east facing room where the entire back wall is glass facing the water (i.e. no trees) meant the light level in the tank went waaay up. My so far six month long battle with algae began. I had every kind of algae possible - BBA, GHA, GSA, you name it. When we moved, I set up the CO2 system that I purchased in March but never set up. even with huge amounts of CO2, the algae persisted. I scraped, pulled, wiped and scrubbed algae off my wood, rocks, plants and gravel, but it was unstoppable. I added Amano's and promptly gassed most of them to death.

Added Amano's again, lost quite a few, but now have had 8-10 of them for maybe two months, so I think I've got the CO2 figured out. Switched from Seachem to dry dosing (and wondering why I hadn't done that earlier) Two weeks ago, I put a piece of 95% UV film on the side of the tank that faces the window. Finally, the algae at least seems to not be increasing. I had to rip out all of the baby tears, hairgrass, and 90% of the glosso. I was able to save enough algae free glosso to replant, at least.

That jungle Val in the back was very invasive and an algae magnet, so Monday, I went over to the city to Aqua Forest and bought a bunch of new plants. This is the result.

Lights: 30" Finnex Planted+ and 24" Finnex Monster Ray, on from 7:00 - 10:00 and 5:00 - 9:30
Filtration: Eheim 2215
Substrate: regular Petco aquarium gravel
CO2: injected inline through an atomizer at 5bps
Ferts: EI dry from GLA

Inhabitants: 6x Salt and Pepper Cory
7x Cardinal Tetra
6x Lemon Tetra
8-10x Amano shrimp
1x Swordtail

Plants: Rotala H'ra
Rotala Macranda
Anachris
Glasso
Red Cabomba
Micro Sword
Chain Sword
Hygro
Red Ludwiga
Dwarf Lobelia
Tiger Lily (and a second, very small version of a tiger lily that sprouted from one of the leaves of the big one. It's about 10 months old - in the lower left of the tank)
Bacopa Madagascar
A very fine-leafed plant that I've forgotten the name of despite having just purchased it (back left)

My long term plan is to set up a 125 (72x18x22) in the only part of the living room that receives no direct sunlight.

For the new tank I'm going to have a plumbing line run to the tank - it's bad enough changing out 15 gallons with buckets - I can't imagine doing four times that much. Our contractor has spec'd copper, but I'm thinking that might not be so great for the fish. But that's a question for another thread.
EdTheEdge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The algae problem has been pretty much resolved - I went back to dosing high levels of Metricide (worked up to 40ml/day very slowly). That, and the fact that the room the tank is in gets less light in the winter. I also let the water sprite get a litle out of hand

I'm pretty pleased with the tank at this point - realy looking forward to setting up a big tank this spring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	558330  

doggo likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tank after a trim yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160112-IMG_1943.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	574385  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode