My very first planted tank journal! :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to DUHK Send a message via Yahoo to DUHK
Smile My very first planted tank journal! :)

Hello guys! This has been one project that took quite a lot of time, but since now that I have something close to being what is called a tank I'll start a journal.

Tank: 10 Gallon
Filter: Top Fin 10
Substrate: Eco-Complete
CO2: DIY Yeast into the intake of an internal filter
Rocks: Zebra Rock
Plants: Hairgrass & HC
Inhabitants: Red Cherry Shrimp (as of currently)

[Tank after I put the rocks in. Water was pretty cloudy]

[My friend Luis gave me a whole bunch of hairgrass and I was able to plant them in the back as the background plants. I haven't trimmed or pruned them because I wanted to give them a chance to grow before I tried to trim. Thanks Luis! Also, the plants floating up top are rotala rotundifolia. The store owner of the fish store I went to said that it would help absorb the excess nutrients in the tank to reduce algae. ]

[Red cherry shrimps were also provided by Luis! One of them is for sure berried and I can't wait for them to come out and fill up my tank!]

That's all I have for now. I hope you guys can provide me some suggestions on what I should do and ideas on how I can limit the amount of algae I get. Please feel free to give me any suggestions whatsoever!

This hobby is pretty expensive! The project is still incomplete and I have no money left. But I love it so I will try my very best to make it a nice place for my plants to grow and the creatures in it to live.

Thanks guys!
DUHK

Last edited by DUHK; 08-19-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Fear the Swamp!

I'm having trouble seeing the pics.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

DUDU

I'm so happy you were finally able to set this up. I know it took a long time for me and you to finally meet up. Look at your with all your knowledge. (: You make me so proud. keke.

Yeah I can't see the pictures either. I'm so excited to see how this will turn out. I miss you and love you! duli
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The pictures are fixed! Hope you guys can see it!

LILI<3
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

The zebra rock looks great. My only tiny suggestion is to position this rock a little differently.

I just feel like it's kind of in an awkward position, but it's really is completely up to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It will probably take a bit for the hair grass to get acclimated but once it starts to send runners it'll spread pretty fast. (like in Luis' tank)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Primetime Rob
Nice setup, I like the zebra rock layout. Looking forward to seeing your tank develop.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah... I agree :\ It took me forever to finally decide how to position everything. The rock shaping was really hard to work with and I didn't know what to do. What do you think lili?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 04:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hmm, well I'm actually not all that great with hardscapes... but my first thought was to switch it so it's facing the other way, but now I kind of think it will throw it even more off balance.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you guys know how long it takes for hairgrass to grow in and send runners?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHK View Post
This hobby is pretty expensive!
You got that right.

You tank looks great to me. I like your rock selection and composition. I am working on a setup with zebra stone too. I am also a little bit troubled by that rick that mizu-chan indicated, but I wonder if it wouldn't look better positioned back just a little bit further. One very important point to keep in mind about aquascaping is that it is easier to get convincing results with tanks that have more depth (front-to-back). I believe that the 10-gallon might be only 10" deep. Of course it helps that it is a small tank overall so the depth isn't so bad relative the the height and length.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Love the rocks. What plant is floating?

I think some Bacopa monnieri(Moneywort), would look good in there. It listed as a slow growing stem plant that is undemanding.

Also Potassium sulphate (K2SO4), approx. 1tsp per water change, would keep algae off. It is a mineral that plants need a lot of. You can get it here for $2.65 per pound with shipping of $5.75. Could ask at this forum if someone would send it to you for shipping cost. I have done so and gotten some. I would send you some but I have just enough for my tank.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile Update!

Hey guys! I finally was able to get some HC and I started planting. I made the mistake of removing all the of stone wool and that gave me such a hard time planting because the HC kept floating up and the roots would not be submersed. Anyways, here are some photos of the update...

Name:  3868661088_208a24e397.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  160.2 KB
FTS.

Name:  3867881929_7ab6c13c10.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  170.3 KB
The HC after being planted.

Name:  3868661168_39cebabd08.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  132.4 KB
Just for fun, I wanted to show you guys a picture of one of my berried shrimp. Sorry for the blurriness. She kept swimming back and forth.

I forgot to mention. I am using 26 watts of compact screw in flourescent bulbs. I hope that that is enough lighting for the HC to grow in. Another thing I am afraid of is that I have some rotala rotundifolia floating on top to suck up the excess nutrients in the tank. I hope this doesn't shade the HC too much to the point where it can't grow.

I am using Eco-Complete so I am holding off on the fertilizing until about week 4.

If you guys have any comments, please feel free to share! If the lighting isn't right or something is wrong, let me know so I can fix it.
Oh yeah, there is 2 pots of HC in the tank as well. I purchased 5 pots but only used 3 so I am currently keeping them in there until someone else can buy them from me.

DUHK
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Honeycomb Master

I like the hardscape the way it is. It's beautiful! Very nice job!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Love the rocks. What plant is floating?
The plant floating is rotala rotundifolia

And thank you!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Planted Member

i like your hardscape. It should look even better when those HC fills in. keep it up .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode