6 gallon fluval edge surprise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

6 gallon fluval edge surprise

Hi,

I just joined this forum today and decided to make a journal of a fluval edge 6 gallon tank which my wife and I bought on 07/31/2015. Neither of us have much experience with aquariums and we are excited with this new journey!

We are currently nitrogen cycling the tank with the nutrafin cycle which came with the tank.

We put in a piece of driftwood(boiled overnight) in the middle on which we have attached java ferns and anubias using rubber band/thread etc. On the right side, we have some wisteria in the front and an amazon sword in the back. On the left, we put a statue we bought on amazon(it is connected to an airpump) and there's a java fern too. We also put in the two rock set available at petco, the bigger rock is seen in the front, and the smaller one is in the back with some more java fern tied to it.

The tank has a stock filteration system which comes with the fluval edge and we have put in the fluval edge heater in it too(though I don't see any light from it so I'm not sure if it works).

We plan to put 6-7 celestial pearl danios, one betta and 2 nerite snails in this tank. We have read that CPDs are shoaling fish and one of the few fish who do well with bettas.

We are currently considering how to introduce the CPDs(3 at a time or all 6/7 at once) and the betta and the snail. Betta before the CPDs or after the CPDs? Snails first or last?

We are also looking for knowledgeable aquarists in the Boston area who we could buy the fish from. We would greatly appreciate it if you guys have any suggestions for us.

This is how our tank looks today:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150803_05_08_28_Pro.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	503529  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Two Nerite snails added

We added two Nerite snails yesterday. They are moving all around the tank doing their job. We do not see much algae in the tank now, we will try feeding the snails some blanched veggies and see how they take it.

The plants seem to be growing good and taking roots.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! I'm in the Boston area too (Cambridge). I highly recommend Uncle Neds Fish Factory and then Tropic Isle Aquarium. Uncle Neds is kind of a trip but his fish are top notch. I dont think there is a correct order for stocking. But I'd probably start with the snail and then the betta. Then the CPD. Just a word of advice since you're just starting out...take it easy on the light. You have some low light plants. A lot of new people start out and go crazy with their photoperiod and wonder why they have algae.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@jasa73 thanks for the advice

Thank you for the advice. We were keeping the light on the whole day(close to 12 hours). We will reduce it to only 2-3 hours everyday now. We will add the Betta next weekend then after doing a 30% water replacement.

We will try out Uncle Ned's as it seems to be about the same distance from us as Tropic Isle.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yikes 12 hours is a lot. I have a display tank that is all crypts, ferns and anubias. Light is only on for 5 hours a day. Start with 3 hours and creep it up to 4-5 as your plants get established. If I were you, id get more plants. Youre pretty lightly planted. Some anubias nana would look nice tied to rocks in front of your java fern and some anubias micro around your driftwood. Id even add some taller plants around your buddha head.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Betta and CPD can be hit or miss. While their water parameters are great (CPDs like water to be 75 or below for optimum health) you never know what kind of personality you will get out of your betta.

For this reason - I would introduce the CPDs first, they are notoriously shy and this will give them time to establish themselves. Also, Betta can be territorial, by already having the CPDs in the environment - you don't run the risk of the Betta "defending" his territory.

good luck!

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danios, Ember Tetras, Scarlet Badis, RCS, Assassin Snails, Neirite Snails, Black Molly, Dwarf Gourami

-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danios, Dwarf Emerald Rasboras
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...881&highlight=
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, will put in CPDs before betta then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Betta and CPD can be hit or miss. While their water parameters are great (CPDs like water to be 75 or below for optimum health) you never know what kind of personality you will get out of your betta.

For this reason - I would introduce the CPDs first, they are notoriously shy and this will give them time to establish themselves. Also, Betta can be territorial, by already having the CPDs in the environment - you don't run the risk of the Betta "defending" his territory.

good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice. We will consider putting in the CPDs first then before introducing the Betta a week or two later.

Also, I've read that CPDs do not come up for food. We currently have bought the new life spectrum sinking pellets (0.5mm). This is supposed to sink very slowly. But, I'm worried that once we get the Betta, he may eat all the food before it reaches low enough for the CPDs. Any advice on preventing the betta from stuffing himself?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

best advice I can give would be to maybe feed the betta on one side, and while he's distracted - drop the sinking pellets for the CPDs. I use frozen bloodworms for my Danios/Rasboras - they love them

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danios, Ember Tetras, Scarlet Badis, RCS, Assassin Snails, Neirite Snails, Black Molly, Dwarf Gourami

-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danios, Dwarf Emerald Rasboras
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...881&highlight=
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasa73 View Post
Yikes 12 hours is a lot. I have a display tank that is all crypts, ferns and anubias. Light is only on for 5 hours a day. Start with 3 hours and creep it up to 4-5 as your plants get established. If I were you, id get more plants. Youre pretty lightly planted. Some anubias nana would look nice tied to rocks in front of your java fern and some anubias micro around your driftwood. Id even add some taller plants around your buddha head.
Thank you once again for the advice.

We actually had more java fern in there(in front of the buddha head), but removed it because it was covering up the buddha head completely. We will try putting in some anubias nana and anubias micro in front so that there are more plants but the buddha head is still completely visible. We were even considering staurogyne repens and baby tears. But, we aren't sure which of these is the easiest small plant to grow. We want something which doesn't block the view of the buddha head.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmm what is the stock light on the edge like? I'm not sure if it will be strong enough for either. How about some crypts?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They are described like this:

"Powerful bright white 7600K high liuminosity LED's with 3 deep blue night-time light LED's and 3 position switch"

There are 21 LED lights. I don't think the light reaches the corners much.

Anyway, I feel the anubias present on the driftwood(in the background) will grow out along the driftwood and cover it up more.

Crypts we haven't checked out, we will check them out. From what little I have read, it seems like they are better suited for mature tanks
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Two weeks update

We did a 25% water change over the weekend and added recommended amount of API stress coat to the tank.

Before the water change, the Nitrite and Nitrate were at 0 ppm, while Ammonia was in the 0-25 ppm range. The temperature of the water is around 75-76. The PH is around 7.3, the General Hardness and Carbonate Hardness are both at acceptable levels for most tropical fish(forgot number)

We decided to not put in the Betta in this tank, and instead went and got two male guppies and two red cherry shrimp to accompany the tiger and zebra nerite snails already present in the tank. We will add the Celestial Pearl Danios this weekend.

The plants have been developing roots and they have spread quite a bit. We had added the Flourish, Flourish Iron and Flourish excel a while back.

Here are a few pics of our two nerites, our two guppies and I could get only one of the RC shrimps on camera.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20150816_00_58_51_Pro.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	507401  

Name:	WP_20150816_18_29_14_Pro.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	507409  

Name:	WP_20150816_18_29_46_Pro.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	507417  

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Added our CPDs

We added 7 really tiny(1/2 inch) Celestial Pearl Danios yesterday. The Danios seem to be doing well and are not even shy anymore when we come around. The guppies on the other hand seem to be petrified by the Danios' quick darting movements. They looked really stressed yesterday and just hung out together at the top and did not want to go near the Danios. Today, they have relaxed a little and went around the tank searching for food and got back to picking at whatever they could find. But they are nowhere near their usual selves yet.

The two RCS and the two nerites are doing good too.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

White eggs on the rocks

We noticed several white eggs on the rocks in our tank. I think it is the nerite snail eggs. Most likely they will just remain and will not hatch. Do the fish feed on these eggs? Do we need to reduce feeding? I'm asking this because our guppies have become very fat, most likely due to over-feeding.

We only add about 8 new life spectrum pellets in the morning and 8 new life spectrum pellets in the night. To re-iterate, We have 7 CPDs, 2 guppies, 2 red cherry and 2 nerite snails and I do not think we are feeding too much, unless our guppies are grabbing all the food and the CPDs aren't getting anything.

The guppies are also uprooting all the anacharis plants in the tank and seem to constantly be eating something or the other.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Water change and filter cleaning done

We cleaned the filter and did a 40% water change today. We noticed a small white cottony ball on one of the plants. The plant itself looks healthy and has grown quite a bit. Does anyone know what this cotton ball like thing in the foreground is?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wp_20150918_11_22_10_pro.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	519105  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode