75 coming down, 25 gal cube time! - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
PTrader: (0/0%)
75 coming down, 25 gal cube time!

I currently have my 75 that ive de-rimmed running, its going great getting good growth, and no algae...but its really not my style...i wanted to try an amano style nature tank for a while and i think it turned out pretty good, but the driftwood acts like a reed diffuser and evaporates a ridiculous amount of water, and grows alot of mold where it stays wet...the room its in is small so it really makes it almost uncomfortable to be in, it feels like a jungle with all the humidity in there, that being said im glad i tried that style of scape, here is a picture as of a week or two agoClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438700265352.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	503313now on to the new project, i came across a pretty cool 25 cube, its reef ready and i was planning on using the overflows and building a trickle filter...and maybe one day, but as of right now i have alot of things taking up time, biking, running, girlfriend, etc... But its summer so thats a given, so right now simplicity is key ill post pics of the tank soon and the stand when i finish it, but ive been mainly focused on filtration, im always drawn to the simple internal filters and i wanted to make something similar that would move enough water and hold a good amount of bio media. What i settled on was a hydor slim skim nano... It was almost already made for me, all i had to do was cut the baffle in the front to have a channel that runs water from top to bottom for a little bit of skimming, and drill a hole for a powerhead to push water through, where the nozzle goes through the front channel i used silicone tubing for a grommet to seal it off from the outflow. Here it is with no mediaClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438700852462.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	503353and heres a couple with the media (powerhead is a maxi jet 400)Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438701035202.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	503361Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438701155695.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	503369Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1438701291783.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	503377its full of well used bio max, and right now its in the 75 running just to keep the bacteria going until i getthe 25 set up

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Algae Grower
Derimming a 75 gallon is a good way to end up with 75 gallons of water on the floor. THe rim serves a structural purpose. Without it your seams will eventually fail. I do really like the scape on the 75 though.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Im not worried about the tank failing, its been great...the problem with de rimming one isnt the seam but the glass itself holding without a center brace, as long as the glass only bows within tolerance, then it cant put the stress on the seams necessary for them to fail, i only get 3mm of bowing...the thing that actually bothers me though, is its not low iron glass. Theres something about looking at a clean rimless tank with a weird blue green tint to it that kind of ruins it for me its hard to look at regular glass after youve seen starphire!

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode