The Planted Tank Forum banner

15 Gallon Bow Front (NEW PICS)

3K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Goomie 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

So I decided to start a journal for my little 15g Bow Front, which I'm calling "Project Seedling". I'm lame like that

So I'll post a few pictures, and then I'll go on to say what I currently have in it, what I'm using, etc.

Apologies, my camera isn't the best, I'm working with what I've got

So here goes now with my list

Equipment:
15g Bow Front Aquarium on Stand
18" Daylight Florescent Bulb (single)
AquaClear 3 stage HOB Filter
12lbs Black Floramax Substrate
A crappy little center piece decoration

Plants:
1x Rosetta Sword
1x Temple Compacta

Fish:
5x Cherry Barbs

I'm dosing everyday with API Co2 Booster (with the lack of Co2 Injection).

Future plans...

Plants:
Crypts
Water Wisteria
Ozelot Swords

Equipment:
DIY LED Lighting with Programmable Remote
DIY Co2 Injection System

Fish:
Dwarf Blue Gourami
Cories
Tetras

And that's my story so far guys.
Any and all advice welcome for this little set up of mine, I'm not opposed to suggestions on plants, equipment, fish, treatments, etc. I just want a lush, healthy environment to look at every night when I get off work

Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Got some new stuff!

Cardinal Plant (looked pretty, thought I would try it as a foreground plant)
2x Pepper Cory Catfish

The poor Cherry Barbs looked so confused as I was planting this cardinal... just wait til they have to share their space with the cories! Hehe.

Again, sorry for crappy pic quality and water spots and my reflection in some of them. I really do need a better camera... and some glass cleaner :help:

EDIT
More pictures

#3 ·
Quick update:
8 hours into having these lovely Cardinal Plants, some look like they're dying. A few seem alright, but the taller ones seem to have been scorched with my florescent light.

Does anyone know anything about this specific plant? I wonder if perhaps it's a plant that dwells much better in a shadier tank...

Unfortunately, my LFS's disappointed me very much as I was shopping around today, so I no longer trust any of them to provide me with information/plants...

Any info or advice appreciated.

#5 ·
Update #2:

I've been using this API Co2 booster in my tank 2x a day, 3.5mL each time, and my plants LOVE it! I've actually noticed a significant boost in growth in my rosetta sword. And after rearranging my tank and breaking up my temple compacta, they also seem to be doing VERY well.

In the very near future I will have a Co2 injection system for my tank, and I plan to keep using this Co2 booster but in smaller amounts. My fish are very happy and stress free, no signs of algae (yet), no diseases/fungus, and my water is crystal clear.

More updates to come :)

#8 ·
Hey all, been some time but here's a look at my tank now. My gourami is hiding, but all seems well. Added fancy guppies, and a rubber lip pleco. Moved my fern to the top of my decoration today, a little algae is growing on it now making it look more real. This king of adding DHG soon.

Never added Co2, it's still a low tech with just a filter and a heater. But the plants exploded since I first got them!

Everything is great ?

Attachments

#11 ·
Had to move my tank to a new place, it's a little cloudy but I finally got a picture of my flame gourami.

Here's what's changed:
Added root tabs
Rescaped
Planted DHG
Added 2 albino Cory catfish
Added a stray glo fish from my boyfriends tank
All of my tuxedo guppies have died and and one peppered Cory died

I'll tell ya, catching that rubber lip pleco and my cories was a real PAIN with those huge temple compacta in the back. Good news is that they're rooted really well so all I had to do was pull the Cardinal plants and replant them. My sword has really perked up since I attached it to my rock, growing tendrils down to the gravel and out into the water.

However the pink glo fish will probably get harassed to death by the gourami. It's slow and might even be a little inbred as it doesn't swim very well (never has) and probably can't see with the cataracts in its eyes. Poor thing.

Anyway my low tech tank is doing awesome. Once this bacteria bloom passes we will be A-OK!

Attachments

#13 ·
Did a little trimming since the top leaves on my temple compacta looked like they were being chewed on anyway. Opened up a lot of light for my other plants.

my 3 new cherry barbs are adapting nicely.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.