Here it is. Freshly remodeled. We still need a Magic Eraser to get off some stuck on gunk.
*Black neon x5 Just got them. Very nice.
*Rummy nose x5 These have done very well for us. Three are nearly three years old.
*Blood fin x5 These have also done well.
*Black skirt x1
*Black phantom x1 Gotta be four years old.
I realize 5 is the most recommend minimum school size. We had three Black phantom. That's how many the shop had. Two died. We bought two Black skirt thinking they were the same. One died. I haven't seen Black phantom since we got the first ones. This was early on after we decided not keep Plattys or Mollies. Too many fry. I think the Black phantom may be nearing its end of life, although it looks perfectly healthy. The phantom and skirt do hang with each other.
*Chinese algae eater x1 I know. Evil fish of the debil. It's been pretty cool. We've had it five years now. No problems, but it does like to redecorate.
*Yoyo loach x1 We had three. One died. Then the other. It was a while before we found a shop with more. We couldn't even get them on order. Two shops fell through. I'm not sure if I want to add another. The survivor has gotten some size on it now, and so has the CAE. Would we be inviting trouble with two small Yoyo now? They are available again. I will say, they decimated the Ramshorn and Malay snails that had infested the tank before we got them. That's why we got them. Great work, Yoyos!
*Red tiger lotus x1 This is our second. The first did great, until we put a crawfish in the tank. That little monster cut it down and dug it up. This second one has taken a beating during the cyanobacteria war.
*Anubias something or another x2 These are some tough plants. They still wear the battle scars of the cyano war.
*Water onion x1 There are two more water onion. One just sprouted.
*Four aponogeton that were just planted but haven't sprouted, yet.
*There's also a little mystery moss I salvaged from the remodel.
A few hunks of petrified wood and some other rocks. Mostly river rocks and some gravel substrate. Five pounds of gravel. To heck with gravel as a primary substrate. Used it in three tanks now. It's fine, of course, but we're done with it as primary. Personal preference. We're now only using it for plants and to give the CAE and Yoyo something to wallow in. There is some ceramic tile in there we made a two room cave with. I've read not use ceramic tile. It's been in this tank for years. We've had algae problems, but no problems to associate with the tile. Thoughts on tile?
Another plant anchor technique we use is 50 pound braided fishing line and stainless steel nuts. The anubias are not planted in the gravel. They are only weighted down with the line and nuts.
We had a brown craft paper background on the back glass. That was dumb. It got nasty. We're not going to do one this time in hopes the plants do it for us.
The stand is from a furniture company in Mississippi.
55 gallon long or regular, glass
HOB Top Fin 60. Cheap yet effective. Has proven durable.
Westinghouse 23 watt 6400k "day light" CFL x4 in a modified Top Fin hood.
DIY yeast CO2. Still experimenting.
pH in the mid 7s
Nitrification cycle is solid, even after remodel. We tend to let the filters go biological. BUT, big hairy BUT, as we've learned, that doesn't mean to let them go unattended.