Mario's over the tank river. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mario's over the tank river.

On Sept 28 2015, I dismantled the river. It has been replaced it with planters watered through water mat wicks. It starts at post #47
7 Jul 2015 : it's now up and running.

This was original plants.
List of current plants:
-Polka Dots
-Fittonia
-Wandering Jew
-Pothos
-Croton
-Alternanthera reineckii
-Hymenocallis lirisome
-Glossos
-African Violet, added 9 ul 2015
-Spider Plant, added 9 Jul 2015 - Dead 29 Jul 2015
-Calla Lilies (Zantedeschia) [in bulbs as of 9 Jul 2015]
-Rumex sangioneus, added 11 Jul 2015
-Equisetum scirpoides, added 11 Jul 2015
===================
That would be my first journal here. I have no clue how disciplined I will be at updating this, but let me give it a shot.

This little river will be installed atop my 75 gallon tank. The river is the same length as the tank; 48 inches. It is about 5 inches wide and just over 1.5 inches high. It's not high, it will be low flow river with of course plants in it. Bed will be lavarock with maybe some pieces of drift wood.

This is the barebone box without the ends. Because it's dadoes, just wanted to do a dry fit before glueing the parts together.

This is the outflow. Water will return to the tanks through this small opening.

This is some arrangements in progress. I seived all the lava rock I have to get some smaller ones. I am a little short in rocks. I will throw some larger ones int. I painted and varnished the outside of the wooden box. The inside is line with a PVC pond liner. Then I place a layer of geotextile then the rocks.

Last edited by Mariostg; 10-22-2015 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Updated list of current plants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 02:07 AM
Planted Member

cool
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Interesting beginning. You might want to build in an overflow near where the water
enters the box. Never know when plants may block it somewhere. I presume it to be filled by a mechanical pump. That pump won't know it's blocked. Come home to a floor full
of water.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Interesting beginning. You might want to build in an overflow near where the water
enters the box. Never know when plants may block it somewhere. I presume it to be filled by a mechanical pump. That pump won't know it's blocked. Come home to a floor full
of water.
Good idea. I guess I will make an opening like the one I did but in the other end. And just a little higher so the primary is the one at the opposite end.

River will be alimented through the output of the Eheim 2215. I will have a better idea of the flow when I try it out.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Seems a little shallow, think about how much water level changes in a track with an overflow... My vote would've been for 2.5 inch sides... Gives you more root space for plants, as well as more space between the top of the trough and the water level... As was already mentioned a flooded for would suck
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
Seems a little shallow, think about how much water level changes in a track with an overflow... My vote would've been for 2.5 inch sides... Gives you more root space for plants, as well as more space between the top of the trough and the water level... As was already mentioned a flooded for would suck
Noted, that would be mod no 2. Considering I probably have an average of 2 inches of substrate in the tank, it's prbably reasonable to have that in the river. I will make it higher and probably angle it toward the outside
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Small update.
Made it higher, it's now at 2.75 inches high. That should do.
Added an overflow upstream in case river blocks.

Maybe first trial tomorrow. I hope.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There has been some modifications. I did not like the outflows. They take too much real estate over the tank. It would have been perfect if the river had been sitting further back but I wanted it right on top. I installed two bulkheads instead. I lined the inside of the bulkheads with some textile to kill the sound and eliminate splashes.

I did a leak test overnight. All seem ok. I added some raiser blocks to give place for the filter intake.
Now I need more plants. May have to go shopping soon.

One of the bulkhead.

These empty pill containers fit perfectly in the bulkhead. Just need to cut to length to get some water level in the river bed.
This is the leak test.

Checking how things go from the filter output.

Bulkhead fitted with a piece of geotextile to smooth the flow. And allow snails to climb in .

Some lava rock in the river bed. Will adjust the amount as plants are placed in.

And finally some plants stolen from other tanks. I need more plants.
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:34 AM
Planted Member

Nice! I like the idea, looks good.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmpjx View Post
Nice! I like the idea, looks good.
Tanks xmpjx. I think it will be nice when there is more plants and more growth. Can't wait
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:28 AM
Algae Grower

I really like the idea as well.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

I'm excited to see how it turns out and what you add, subbed so I won't miss it haha I may steal the idea :p

What do you have planted in there so far? (I'm not so good at identifying plants haha)

Last edited by xmpjx; 07-08-2015 at 02:35 AM.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Plants are on top od my head for now:
-Polka Dots
-Fittonia
-Wandering Jew
-Pothos
-Croton
- Alternanthera reineckii
-Hyemenocallis lirisome
-Glossos

Last edited by Mariostg; 07-08-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: complete list
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

This is the same as a aquaponics set up. Not sure if you've heard of that or not. If you haven't you should look into them, perhaps you can find some of their ideas useful and decide to incorporate them into your project (substrate and designs of planter box).

I've been wanting to do a aquaponic set up on my tank for some time now to grow vegetables, but haven't made the effort yet.

From the title I thought it was going to be a over-tank sloped (to get the downstream river current effect), skinny 4ft long tank with hillstream fish
Great project nonetheless Mario
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Algae Grower

That's really neat Mario, I bet it adds a nice musical note of running water to the room as well. Love it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode