Learning Pains Moded Fluval Spec V - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Learning Pains Moded Fluval Spec V

So, this is my experimental Fluval Spec V.

I've had it up for about 2 months now. It used to be a Fluval Spec V until I basically ripped everything out. .-. I don't even know why I purchased this consider how different it is now. In some ways I'm ashamed of myself, but at the same time I don't mind.

Right now, the inhabitants are a plakat betta, 4 neon tetra and a mystery snail.

I'm in the process of changing out my inflow and outflows for my canister, the inflow shattered during delivery so I'm waiting on the replacement. Rock are Ohko. The glass is smeared and smudgy since I haven't cleaned the glass. ' __'...

Right side is pretty much establish, left side is being newly planted. Not sur what to do with the left side to be honest.

Eheim 2213 Canister Filter
Tetra 10 UL Air Pump
20" Finnex Planted +
25W Oheim heater
Miraclegro capped with petco black sand

Established plants:
Bacon, dwarf lily, argentine swords, christmas moss
New plants:
Anubias nana, narrow leaf java ferns, crypts, and rosette sword

My goal is to get a CO2 system, get a larger tank and some more plants. That probably won't happen until September though.

Oddly, I find myself enjoying the plants in this tank more than the fish themselves. Don't get me wrong, I love my fish, but there's something relaxing about aquascaping and tending to the plants that's more satisfying for me than just watching my fish.

For those of you wanting to read a more in depth version of this tank journal, check out my blog c:

Last edited by mishe; 06-18-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Fixed some typos
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru
Your marimo ball is receiving too much light it prefers low light and should be kept in shaded ares of medium/high light tanks. Also do not use excel with marimo in the tank-its a specialized form of slow growing hair algae (not a moss) and algaecides like excel, bleach, and peroxide will kill it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Algae Grower
Looking good. Like the stone in there.

It really is too bad that the glass is frosted (and not a coating or something). It makes it look a bit odd. I modded mine the same way. Find you get better filtration with a hob or canister with low flow for a betta. No regrets. Will likely move to a Mini L at some point and put shrimp in this one though :P

Rimless 29 Wide (3') WIP | Split 10 Betta <3 | Spec V Drystart WIP
MTS already setting in.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
I saw on youtube if you put clear packing tape on frosted glass it looks clear again , you shoud try it .
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
Nice scape

The filtration on the spec is one of my favorite things about that tank, why did you not like it?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
Not even worried about the frosted glass, I plan to upgrade to either an 11.4 or 17 gallon Mr. Aqua. c: And, based on where the tank is located on my desk, the frost doesn't bother me much.

I could never adjust the flow. If I lower it, it was still too strong. Attempted to baffle flow with sponge, no matter what kind of sponge I used, I ended up having a pretty disgusting layer of white (bacteria?) on it. I hated it. I know others will have other experiences, but mine were just not very good.

While I was at school and then work (out the house for about 12 hours). Came home to find half my tank dead. I was pretty shocked since last night everything was fine. Not sure what happened, and I was so pressed on doing a water change that I forgot to get some sample water.

I probably won't be adding any new fish to this tank for a good few months, I'm pretty sad that my betta died. I'll most likely just try and keep the remaining tetra alive and plant the tank some more. I'm traumatized ; _;...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode