Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 266 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Algae Grower

Ahh, what a great thread.
post #183 of 266 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update: 14-May-2012

Quick check of the Macro tank and I was only able to find (3) eggs. I snapped a few pics but none turned out. After analyzing the pics, I found that one eggs is non viable even though by eye it looked good. Wonder what happened to the other eggs?

Light bulb <insert voice of Gru here> .... it dawned on me ... I have (3) Pygmy Cories in this tank to. Know how Cories will eat their own eggs .... I'm pretty sure they would eat others to if they find them. Hmmmmmm ... might be time for a relocation project for them guys.

I'm getting ready to go back down there and give it one more glance over before the lights go out.
post #184 of 266 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

No eggs or fry were found yesterday. Will continue to monitor for future developments.
post #185 of 266 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll take pygmy cories. LoL

Have those ever spawned for you at all?

"Heee-eerree fishy fishy fish!" -ernie
My tanks
post #186 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update 26-Oct-2012

I always love present surprises.

Let's back up and then get back up to speed. It's been a very long time since I've updated my journal. Got busy with work and such I just haven't really done much with my tanks. They are pretty much just "surviving". I really let them go and am ashamed of myself. I haven't noticed any new spawning during the very brief moments I get down to the fish room to feed and top off. Heck..I haven't even done any water changes <ducks for cover>. And to be completely honest....I haven't a clue the last time I did a water change. Just feedings and top offs. About all I had time for. I barely have enough time to get on the puter from time to time.

Fast forward to today. Tired of seeing these tanks in their current conditions, I decided to take a stand and get some better time management going. I'm starting with my high tech tanks. The first one I started yesterday. The plan was to pull all the plants, scrape the glass and get rid of all the <blankety blank blank> duckweed.

Today, I finished pulling the plants. Netted out about 98% of the duckweed. I then fabricated a duckweed filter using a small powerhead. I put the filter in the tank and turned it.

As I was watching it do its thing, I saw something swim up and lite on the front glass. Upon further observation...it's a wiggler! WOW and KEWL at the same time. Then I saw another on the side glass. I decided to remove the filter and then put a sponge over the HOB intake. I wound up counting (4) wigglers in the tank. I parent group is (5) and they are still rather young which surprises me. I wouldn't have thought they would be ready to breed yet.

This particular tank wasn't even a planned breeder tank. It was really more of a test tank for Otos as the pH is extremely low (<6). They are Vittatus by the way.

So now, I need to get the water cleared up again and get the plants put back in.

I'm really limited on time but will try and keep this more update and I apologize for all those that have been following and not getting their fix with updates.

Annnnnnnd....if people are still following......I am still looking for O. flexilis and O. mimulus.
post #187 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Now I really feel bad. I just went and installed the pre-filter to protect the fry. Started looking around and found a newbie. Not more than 24hrs old! Crap! Now I'm wondering if I washed away any eggs and/or other babes when I rinsed off all the plants. Ding Dang It!
post #188 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice work Sometimes all it takes is neglect.
post #189 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

ive learned not to beat myself up over the losses of a handful of fry here and there. in nature only 2 would survive to reproduce on average, a replacement for each parent.
be happy that you have at least 1 new fry, not upset that you might have maybe had more.
post #190 of 266 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update 30-Oct-2012

Now that the dust and Superstorm Sandy have cleared, I looked in the "other" tank today and was able to find (3) wigglers out and about. Didn't know if they would make it or not since I broke the tank down and scrubbed down all the glass. Active little buggers I must say. I'm not doing anything special in feeding these fry guys. Being a high tech tank, I have to keep the balance. So far, they are doing well.
post #191 of 266 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update 04-Nov-2012

Went to do a water change on the new tank today and found (2) older wigglers and (7) new wigglers on the glass. Never found the eggs. I think the plant arrangement in the tank will make it hard to find the eggs. There are only two broad leaf varieties in there. I will have to look harder from now on. Proceding with the water changes on the breeders and go from there.
post #192 of 266 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

you must have magic water to have a constant supply of oto fry.
post #193 of 266 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update 08-Dec-2012

Check of the tanks today and discovered a mini spawn in the main breeder. I didn't look thoroughly but managed to count (8) viable eggs and (1) non viable one. It was actually the non viable egg that caught my attention as it is a white ball sitting on the substrate.

This comes on the heels of a major rescape of that particular tank. Its part of my de-duckweed and de-snailification process. I completely removed every plant and ensured they were snail free, scraped the glass and removed the moss wall. I hadn't put the moss wall back in as yet and is on the schedule for today.

So today will be a water change, CO2 change and placing the Subwassertang wall back in preparation of the hatching.
post #194 of 266 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Congrats on the spawn!
post #195 of 266 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update 09-Dec-2012

And hatching has begun. Found (3) wigglers so far. Several more eggs left to hatch. This will be a bit of a challenge to keep since the scrubbing of the tank. Have the food prepped and ready. Need to get past the 48hr mark.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode