Reglohs 55g (56K warning) ***FRY*** - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Wannabe Guru
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Man Holger you were soo lying when you said your tank wasn't look good lately!!
Sponsored Links
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Boy, I totally missed that you guys had answered here...

Thanks for the kind words...
I have moved things around a bit... I had mentioned before that I didn't like how the big driftwood with the large fern on it blocked all circulation. I moved it all the way to the left of the tank, with the added advantage, that it hides most of the filter intake and spay bar input from view. Check... The circulation seems much better, except in the fern itself, but at the moment, that is a good thing... I'll get to that later.
I also brought the smaller piece of driftwood back home, as the attached java fern was too big for my little 10 ga in the office. It was blocking all light for the rest of the plants... that one is now all the way on the right of the tank. I had bought a crinum at some point that is probably pretty upset about the fact that I already have moved it twice in the last 2 weeks, but it seems to be getting stronger. It suffered quite a bit in shipping. It is currently in front of the smaller driftwood piece. Not much of a contrast, but it'll have to do for now.
The E. barthii is really the centerpiece of the tank. Without being overshadowed by the fern it is really featured nicely with the SS Hygro in the background.
Ok, enough talk, here is a FTS:

I am too embarrassed about the ever present algae, but I feel like it's getting better... the 3 plecos and I-dont-know-how-many otos are doing their part. I want to get a couple of SAE's so that someone eats the bushy algae, but I haven't had the chance to get them at my LFS. When I was there last, the tank with the SAE's was just being treated for ich.

The praecox are back in the tank, yippie... I put them back yesterday after 6 days in quarantine and a course of Maracyn and Maracyn 2. They had some kind of an infection on their lips. I hope it's not coming back.
I also brought back the remaining 5 harlequin rasboras, that I suspect to have eaten my first batch of juvie RCS in my office tank... I think they will be much happier here anyway, even though they really don't fit into my stocking plans anymore... I wanted to keep the tank mostly asian, with the exception of the BN plecos (and otos?). Oh well...

SOOO, I had mentioned that the praecox were put back in the tank yesterday... tonight I notice something very, very small moving at the surface, when I started feeding... guess who came to feed first???

Right... that's praecox fry, yay!!!

This picture sucks, but I'll post it anyway...

Here is a question though.. I'm sure that if I don't remove the fry they will get eaten eventually. They seem pretty smart, though, staying mostly in the fern... But if the loaches don't get them, the rasboras probably will...
I still have the hospital tank up and running. I could put them in there (or however many I can get). Or I could hang a breeder basked into the tank... What do you think?

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals: 55g, 10g
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer
Seriously? Nobody?

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 AM
Planted Member
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
if they made it that far, there's a good chance they'll survive depending on how big your other fish are, but if I were in that situation i'd separate them just to be sure they survive. do you know how many fry survived?
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer
Thanks for posting

No I have no idea... I have only ever seen three at a time. I initially intended to do a little breeding. The praecox came with a mop and some fry food from the breeder, but I had not gotten there yet.
So the eggs were not deposited on the mop (pretty obvious, since it is not in the tank ), but in some unknown-to-me location. I also don't know how many eggs are laid in one spawn, but I will do some more reading on that.

The tank mates are:
2 clown loaches, one about 3-4 inches, the other much smaller 1.5-2 inch
5 harlequin rasboras
3 BN plecos
3-5 otos
Oh, yes and the 2 males and 2 female praecox rainbows.

I'm not so sure about the harlequins, but the loaches and possibly the rainbows themselves would be the most likely predators for fry...

I don't think I'll do anything special this time, but for future spawns I think I will make/buy a fry-saver insert for the tank...

Thanks for looking

post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru
i would separate them. rasboras are predators. infact all fish are. if its small enough to get in there mouth they will eat it.

"Twisted Wood" 75 gallon
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer
Dang, these little ones are hard to catch... I guess they will have to fend for themselves or become life food... oh well...

post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru
Congrats on the fry!

Chrisinator's Aquatic Project Journal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode