Reglohs 55g (56K warning) ***FRY*** - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
That little sword looks like a E. barthii, my favorite for sure.
The sword looks like Red Rubin to me. The ribs in the leaves are very green.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just can't believe it... every time I change the CO2 bottle I am having trouble setting it back up...
In previous events I didn't loose any fish, which now has officially changed...

The list of casualties, may they rest in peace:
7 harlequin rasboras, (all remaining after I moved some to my office tank)
2 otos (including the baby one )
1 male BN Pleco
1 gold algae eater (well this one I am not so sorry about...)

What's left in the tank?
2 Oto's (or maybe some more in hiding)
1 almost recovered clownloach

I have already bought two more clown loaches... I can't decide what I want to put in there. Any suggestions?

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals: 55g, 10g
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, today I purchased a victor dual stage regulator so I don't have to worry about the senseless fish killings anymore...

I also went to a LFS this last weekend and had a nice chat with the guys there. I really wanted some BN plecos again. The store didn't have any in, but one of the sales guys promised to bring some of his juvies in that are not quite old enough to be brought to the store for sale.

Let me tell you they are cute... probably no more than a month old, about 3/4" long... I got 3, maybe I'm lucky and they are not all males...

Since the tank crashed I have been struggeling with algae again, probably because I have been very timid with the CO2. I also have been really busy over the holidays and didn't always do the weekly water change, streching it to two weeks most of the time. In these cases I then didn't adeqately fertilize the second week, and that's what causes lots of algae...

The little plecos have already started their busy work.. I was worried about them as they have an overabundence of food at the moment. I have to make sure so keep up with feeding them, once the algae is gone.

On more tank mates I have been thinking some more... Maybe some rainbows... I can't decide... anyway I have some time as the weather here is too cold for shipping fish and plants anyway...

Just a note to myself: Filled the CO2 tank today...

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok I think I want to get some Melanotaenia Praecox (dwarf neon rainbow) to go with the clown loaches... Does anyone have experience with those?

post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm bad timing.. I think one of my Clown Loaches is sick... it is really skinny and does not play as nicely as the other two. It a mad scramble I bought a 5ga tank and put it on the kitchen counter. I can take some pictures tonight, but I have read a bunch and most poeple say its an internal parasite. Treatment suggestions vary. Maracin 1 and 2 are often suggested, but also a de-worming medication. One source (on this forum I believe) said that once the fish is skinny, it's too late, but I am still have some hope... It does not appear that he is eating, which really worries me... I will try another pet store tonight and see if they have maracin 1 and the de-wormer...
I will also crank the temperature another degree or two tonight.

EDIT: Oh, yes, why the bad timing? Because the praecox are in the mail... maybe I'll keep those in the office for a while..

post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update...

I came home last night and noticed that the other small clown loach looked really bloated... there is something going on in my tank... I netted the loach (which was surprisingly easy, another indication that something is wrong) and took it over to the hospital tank to benefit from a course of Maracin... He struggled a little bit as I forgot, that the tank is at a higher temperature, but seems to have put that behind him... the other, skinny loach seems much happier with a buddy in the tank, but is definitely not eating...he may be beyond healing...

I just hope that my big clown loach of 5 years did not catch anything...

The hospital tank was not cycled, so I will do a big water change (day 3) tonight.

I also discovered a kink in the filter line, that seemed to all but close off the flow... I have no idea how long this had been going on, but I have been noticing more debris that usual. But more about that later...

One of the larger otos also looked a bit fat, but I wasn't able to catch him...

I will go on AngelsPlus today and get some de-worming flakes as I read here that they are good to have on hand...

I am really worried about the rainbows that I will get today. I think I will put those in the 10g office tank for the time being... boy it will be quite crowded in there, but I just don't have any other tanks...

As I described in previous posts, my Eheim 2217 is supporting both a Rex Grigg reactor as well as a Hydor inline heater... I am now planing to change that. Glenn (gmcreedy) is selling me a Mag3 needle wheel pump that I will use to diffuse CO2 in the future.

I have already bent the lily pipes for the separate loop (don't worry I will take pictures before I actually install them). When the pump arrives, I will figure out how to tie everything together.
I still have to decide, if I want the heater to stay on the filter loop, of move that over to the Mag3.

I am also considering running the mag3 into the rex grigg reactor, to avoid some of the mist, as I am not a huge fan of that, but that may reduce the flow on the mag3 too much...

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking... Questions? Comments?

post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am very sad to report, that I have decided to put the skinnier loach out of its misery...
After one course of erithromyacin (sp?) it still didn't eat anything and started to just lay on the floor of the bare tank... I couldn't take it anymore...
The "bloated" loach seems ok. I got him used to the base flake of a medicated de-worming flake. I will let him fast for another day, so that he is very hungry and then de-worm him for 10 days...
I noticed a deformed fin and I can't remember if he had that before. I will continue to watch him.

The rainbows are very jumpy and shy as they are not only getting used to a new environment, but also to my children, who don't seem to care that the fish are totally freaking out... well they are 3 years and 8 months, at that age I guess it's tough to care about things like that

These guys are hard to catch with a camera... at least for me.

The rainbows really seem to be enjoying the algae flakes. I wonder if I should de-worm them as well, just to be sure...

My plans for the needle wheel pump have just been a bit de-railed as gmcreedy had a bit of an accident with the pump, rendering it unusable. I just ordered a brand new one at D&T.

Did have anyone and thoughts on the heater and reactor arrangement?

post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

While I had the camera in hand, I took a couple of other pictures:
My old clown loach, now alone again... once the other guy is back in the tank I will get another one to replace the one I lost...

This is one of my new BN pleco juvies.

I frequently see two at a time, but never 3. Maybe one of them didn't make it... we'll see.

I am waaay too embarrassed to show a FTS. The wisteria is completely dead, the ludwigia somehow grows really slowly, the SS hygro seems to be slowly recovering and the vals are not doing so well at the moment..
Algae is still very much a factor as you may be able to see in some of the pics... I am just really nervous about cranking the CO2 again...

post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I saw all three plecos at the same time last night. I am glad to report that they are alive and well

post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Look what I just got in the mail!!!

It's a Mag3 needle wheel pump by Danner

So excited...

post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I guess I didn't get to anything this weekend... I did paint the ceiling of the room above the tank. The fish didn't seem to have suffered too much from the fresh paint smell, but the blanket over the tank seemed to really freak the rainbows out...

I am getting closer to moving the smaller clownloach bach into the main tank.. I can't tell if he is not pooping much, or if he is eating his own poop *yuck*

I try to clean up after him as soon as I see the smallest speck of poop, but ther isn't very much... I also am at work for 9-11 hours a day
He does seem to show all the right emitional responses you would expect from a clown loach in a bare tank with just one PVC 3/4" tee to hide in...
The loach that died, never had any reaction to anything... this one turns pale, when the lights turn on and someone is moving in the room.

He'll be much happier back in the tank with his larger buddy...

I observed something very interesting yesterday...
I fed the rainbows with some freeze-dried brine shrimp. I turn the coralia powerhead off for feedings so they can get the food before it blows around the tank...
Well, they got really excited, but didn't really eat much... The shrimp were still bunched up, stuck to the glass at the top of the tank, when I came back 20 minutes later. I then decided to turn the powerhead back on, so the shrimp would blow around and sink to the bottom, where the clownloach could find them...
I was pretty surprised to see, that, once the shrimp started to be whirled around, the rainbows VIGOROUSLY chased afer them and ate quite a bit of them... I wonder if the breeder I got then from feed a lot of live food and they are used to the hunt more than beeing fed...

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Kind a nervous right now...

I hooked up the Mag3 last night and adjusted the CO2 down from my rex reactor setting, just to be sure I'm not killing everything again...
It should have switched on by now...

I really should have waited until the weekend with this, so I can be next to the tank, when it starts up... hope everyone is still with us tonight...

post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Algae Grower

sounds like everythings going well holger! is the loach doing okay?
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for asking tony... yes, the loaches are both doing quite well...
The plecos are also nice and active and not nearly as shy as my old pleco was...
Unfortunately I had some trouble with the rainbows. I posted it in the fish section on this forum, that I suspected columnaris, but from most of the responses I gather that those fish would long be dead by now, had it really been columnaris. Instead I now suspect some kind of a bacterial infection that made their lips look kind of white. I posted some pictures here.

I am now on the last day of treatment and they are doing really well... I may do an extra day, just to use the medicine up and not have open packages kicking around
I am due for a WC on this tank tomorrow night, and I don't want to throw them into the tank right after that... So Wednesday, they will be back in the main tank...

Hopefully I can then break that hospital tank down for a little while...

The Mag3 is working beautifully... I just don't like the flow in the tank quite yet... I have that really large java fern in the middle of the tank that sort of blocks the surface movement... it's nice and swirly on the right and comletely stagnant on the left of the tank... I am thinking about re-scaping options, but I don't really want to do anything too drastic until I move (hopefully in less than 6 month) and re-build the tank anyway...

post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Never a bad time to tear down and rescape, It is my favorite part of a planted tank. Looks good otherwise and remember it is a huge learning process as you learn the ins and outs of fish/ plant keeping.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode