Reglohs 55g (56K warning) ***FRY*** - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
ShrimpRetirement

I thought I had bad algae man. Man oh man! You should def spot dose h2o2 on your affected areas such as the grass. Hand pick what you can pick out. When you're spot dosing, turn your filter off for about an hour. Just don't OD like I did and caused some shrimp and snails to die. I'd say 5-8 mL/ 3sq inch is fine. Just don't dose directly onto a shrimp or snail.

The staghorn will turn orange after you successfully kill it with h2o2. If you have guppies, they will eat it. If you don't, it will wither away in about 3 weeks. The bad thing is, it will show its ugly head again if your water conditions don't improve.

Good flow and CO2 will combat staghorn as well, at least that's what "they" say. I'm still battling staghorn myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Boy, you should have seen the tank before CO2 and 110W T5HO

I lost my nerve tonight and axed 80% of the Micro Sword (if it really is Micro Sword). It was not very well rooted and basically came off in one big clump. I went through and pulled some individual leaves and smaller bunches out of the mat and planted them back in there with about half inch space between them.

I also tried to pluck out some of the algae on the small piece of driftwood. Yeah I know, most of you probably didn't even know there was a smaller piece of driftwood, it's so green. I wonder if I should move that to let the spray bar get some circulation to the front window where the CO2 is desperately needed.

I also played referee in the battle between the Sunset Hygro and the Vals. The Vals weren't playing fair. They seem to be enjoying the better CO2 circulation with the low spay bar.

Ok, I'm too tired to take pictures tonight. The little one has been keeping my wife and I up all night lately (mostly my wife ). Maybe tomorrow night.

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals: 55g, 10g
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

And here I am a couple of nights later...
The promised picture:

Without the dense grass in front of it you really see the algae o the driftwood. I am really tempted to get that out of the tank and soak it for a couple of minutes in H2O2... I was hoping the army of otos, a BN pleco and the golden algae eater will take care of it, but maybe not...

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

So I installed the new heater today, but I am too tired to take pictures. I dialed the temperature up once just to make sure it works, but it's been rather warm here, so the heater will not cycle on in the next few days I suppose. But at least that submersed heater is gone

Now I just have to figure out how to get the circulation without using the Koralia pump. That is still kind of an eye sore.

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Algae Grower

Nice looking tank. I skimmed through the thread but I think you said you got a hydor inline heater? Is that correct? I was thinking of getting one myself and would like to know how you like it so far.

You mentioned you wanted more flow. Have you thought of getting another canister?

I noticed you're in Medford. I'm in the Nashua, NH area. Because you're in the area, do you know of any pet stores that have planted tank supplies or plants?

Good looking tank BTW.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Thanks for the compliment. As far as the heater is concerned, I don't think it affected the flow too much. I really like the fact that it removes the submersed heater from the tank. Looks much cleaner.
On the second filter, I still have my old 2213, that I replaced with a 2217 recently. I was really trying to keep this a one canister tank. I have a circulation pump in the upper left corner, but that is keeping my surface ripple going.

On the stores you can check out the Mass forum. There are some more opinions on the different stores around here. I think I like skiptons the best so far, but I hear good things about Lovely Pets down in Quincy. Tropic Isle in Natick or Framingham (I forget) is pretty good to, but also expensive... but they all are.

I am going to look at Pet Express on Route 1 in Lynne sometime soon, just so see what they have.

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Ok, not a lot has happened with the tank. Did a few trimmings, sold them on the S&S. Live is good.

I did however have a few very informative emails with a local TPT member about our local water supply and she convinced me that I have been very mean to my fish. As it turns out, out water supply here is buffered with soda ash or sodium carbonate NaCo3 and it reaches the home at pH 9... That can't be good for the fish, so I have decided to setup a spare 29 to age the water and neutralize the soda ash before I dump it in the aquarium. So here it is:

A power head for circulation and then later to pump the water into the tank and a heater to get the temperature up. The room is not heated so in the winter I will have to insulate the tank a bit to give the heater a fighting chance...
Thanks for looking

post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Guys you have to kick me to post an update here it's been far to long...

I'm at work and my pictures are at home, but I will try to think of it tonight.

I have some great news, but I think I'll keep you guessing until tonight...

Naaah, who am I kidding, I have to tell... I found a tiny little baby oto in my tank the other day and, yes, I have some pictures (tonight). I thought those guys didn't really spawn easily, but in spite of my clown loach, one of them seem to have made it so far. I can't always find him (rarely, actually) as the tank is quite densely planted, but I am very exited...

The algae also isn't quite as bad anymore, as I have been spot dosing Excel.

Look for pics soon

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 PM
Fear the Swamp!

Congrats on the oto fry, not many of us get to enjoy something like that. Can't wait to see some pics later.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Update 8/20/09

Ok, here we go.

This is a full tank shot. As you can see the wisteria on the left side almost completely died at some point exposing my ugly plumbing . I believe it was my fault for not thinning it out a bit. So the bottom of the plants didn't get enough light and just died. The leftovers seem to be doing better, but are growing slowly. I think I will add some fert tabs to the substrate in that corner.

It is shown a bit clearer in the left side shot here...

On the right side I have been slowly bringing the vals more into the foreground and the SS Hygro as a background behind them. I'm not sure if I like it so far, but we'll see.

Some of you may remember that I was nervous about the java fern not doing well... Ok, I am not anymore... that stuff is out of control...
The E. barthii is also looking pretty good. Has grown quite a bit, but I am a little surprised that I hasn't produced a stem or runner or whatever it is that it does to reproduce...

Ok, you waited long enough.. here is the little oto

Hope you guys enjoyed the show
As much as I like hearing positive feedback, I also appreciate constructive criticism. I know I should have painted that spray bar black, but I was just too impatient Other than that, please tell me what you think can be improved.

post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 02:49 AM
ShrimpRetirement

Very nice growth since your last pic Regloh. I'm surprised you were able to find that lil oto for some snaps. I have 3 adult otos in my tank and I can never spot them when the lights are on. As for your layout, did you ever think about a low growing plant up front? Even the hygro would look nice in the midground as a bush but that requires constant pruning n replanting. I don't remember if you have pressurized CO2 or not.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Those plants look nice an lush.

How do you neutralize the soda ash?
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

Thank you for your kind words. I will try to answer your questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Very nice growth since your last pic Regloh. I'm surprised you were able to find that lil oto for some snaps. I have 3 adult otos in my tank and I can never spot them when the lights are on. As for your layout, did you ever think about a low growing plant up front? Even the hygro would look nice in the midground as a bush but that requires constant pruning n replanting. I don't remember if you have pressurized CO2 or not.
It was pure luck that I found him... I was just staring at the tank and saw something very small move on a leaf... the first time I saw him (or her actually) I didn't have a camera nearby and by the time I had it the little guy was gone... These pictures were taken a few days later, but these are the only two times I have seen him.
I did have a low ground cover in the beginning, but I think I don't have adequate lighting to support the grassy stuff I had there. It also was completely algae infested so I mostly got rid of it. I have been thinking about a few low light plants like anubias or something like that.
I am not really happy with the light fixture I have. Its one of those Hagen dual T5HO strips. The two tubes are very close together in front of a single reflector. The light is not very evenly spead front to back in the tank, wich causes the plants to sort of grow towards the center. This blocks a lot of light for the foreground. I have been toying with the idea of a DIY LED fixture, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. I also think I want a canopy, wich would allow me to put in some DIY fluorescent fixtures. But that's also for another day.
I do run pressurized CO2 and dose IE. I actually have completed the controller I was talking about earlier in the thread, but I am still trying to program it. Any experts on PLC programming here?
Once I get this running, the dosing will happen automatically. I already bought the peristaltic pumps on the S&S It's just a matter of hooking it all up and programming the darn thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Those plants look nice an lush.

How do you neutralize the soda ash?
The plants look much better at a distance close up there are some blemishes, but I think my pleco had somthing to do with that. The vals actually always have a fair amount of decying leaves, that are a PITA to remove, so I slack a bit there. The growth rates are quite high. I CAN prune every week, but when I skip one week I HAVE to slash...or I have the Luwigia and the SS Hygro growing along the water surface.

I am still playing with my water preparation procedure, but basically I take down all of the kH (including the carbonate in the soda ash) with HCl, muriatic acid. When my pH is around 5.5 or 6, I bump it up with calcium carbonate, giving me both kH and gH. At the end I add epsom salt for Mg and Prime for declorination in case I have cloramine, with doesn't outgas in the 2-3 days that it takes to dissolve the CaCO3

The only drawback I see with this method is that I end up with some NaCl in the water, but most of the fish are pretty tolerant of some salinity. Some species actually prefer some salt. I actually havn't really done the research to see weather my fish can tolerate it, but I haven't seen any issues so far...

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Wow Oto Fry.. that is sooo rare!! congrats!!
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Farmer

This post is just for my own benefit. I replaced the CO2 bottle about a week ago. I just want to keep track of how long it lasts.
There is not much to report on the tank itself. I have a few things in there that are supposed to go into my new 10g once it is ready, so I don't want to take nice pictures at the moment.
The oto fry seems to have survived. Every once in a while I see one that can't possibly be 6 months old, which is when I bought my last otos (I think).

Hehe... made you look

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode