sn8k's 90 gal Journal (56k) Updated 01/28/05 pg17 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

sn8k's 90 gal Journal (56k) Updated 01/28/05 pg17

Just setting up the new tank, so I thought I'd share a few pics of the work in progress. It's still going to be a few weeks before the water gets added to the tank (waiting for some driftwood to arrive), but in the meantime everything is going well for the "big day".

Here's a pic of the tank... it's a rather odd shaped tank for plants (48"long x 14" deep x 30" tall) - but my main goal for the tank was for a nice discus show tank and since the price was right - I decided to get it. It should prove a nice challenge to aquascape. In the upper right hand corner you can see the temp allert and the Dupla substrate heater controller. The big barrel on the left is to store the RO water (60 gal) - you can just see the nipple of the hose coming out from the wall.

Here's a pic with the doors open - got a couple of 18" strip lights from the hardware store to illuminate the interior... something that I always wanted in my previous tanks stand. It's sooooo much easier to see what's up down there with these.

The left side of the stand is going to house most of the hardware to run the system. On the left is the Eheim 2028 canister filter. In the center there are 2 Eheim pumps... one for draining the tank and the other to pump water back into the tank from the RO water holding barrel. Both are plumbed with shutoff valves, and will be operated using two wireless switches so I can locate them where needed. On the right is the Merlin fluidized bed filter... a backup bio filter if the canister fails or goes off line for any reason. I'll be using my old Fluval as a backup for the canister - and is already plumbed for a quick change-out if needed.

In the upper potion of the stand on the left, I have a 8Watt UV sterilizer and an inline 300Watt heater. Dupla reccomends that a secondary heater be used to 'preheat' the water to about 4 degrees below what you want the tank to be set at. I guess this will make it a lot easier for the substrate heater to work - and provide a long life to that rather pricey piece of hardware. I also have installed plumbing to bypass all accessories (except for the Eheim canister filter) should any manrtainence be required. I learned a long time ago that if something can fail, it will.

And lastly, here's a pic of the Dupla transformer, control interface, and the three digital timers I'll be using to control the lights. Moon lights are something new to me, but are way cool and I just had to add them. The compact floresent lights I have come with 2 cords, one for 2 of the 4 bulbs in the unit. I'll be using this to start 2 of the 55watt bulbs 1 hour before the other 2 get turned on - and turning off 2 of them 1 hour before nighttime. Discus are a bit sensitive to bright light - but I think adding some shaded areas for them to hide in and stepping-up the lighting during the day will minimize any stress.

Well - that's about it for now. I'll be posting other pics and notes as the tank gets established and it starts looking like a real fish tank .

Mark K...
Eheim Pimp Club Member #37

Custom All Glass 90 Gal (48x14x30) - Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap

Last edited by sn8k; 01-28-2005 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added 01/28/05 updated pics and comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 05:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
My goodness........... "Algea Grower" just isn't working for you! That is one amazing setup you got there. I had trouble breathing when I saw it...

--cich

Plants are gone, but my 33gal and I are back after a long hiatus.
post #3 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Planted Member

Very nice setup there sn8k... Very nice plumbing job!

Digital timers. Eheim pumps and filter. Lighted cabinet. Shelving. I'm jelous.

Eheim Pimp #43 - 37g Oceanic Cube & Oceanic Contrast Collection stand, Coralife Aqualight 2x65w @ 6,700k, Eheim 2028, Eheim Surface Extractor, Milwaukee MA957 Regulator & SMS122 Controller, DIY Acrylic Power Reactor, ViaAqua Titanium Heater, Eco Complete

AquaLife - My Aquaria and Photo Hobby site
post #4 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Wow...You thought of everthing. Can't wait to see it planted & with Discus. Keep us updated.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #5 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Holy crap..... ! That's a really nice setup you have... It's all your people's fault that I want another tank- if I didn't see stuff like this then I'd be happy- yeah right!

Seriously now- I'm interested in seeing how your discus will do. I really like those fish but don't have the capacity (skill-wise, money-wise, etc...) to take care of fish like those. I do, however, enjoy my angelfish.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get it filled soon!

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #6 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

That tank looks like it has a high center of gravity, I would be afraid of it tipping over
post #7 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
That tank looks like it has a high center of gravity, I would be afraid of it tipping over
Crossed fingers for earth-quakes I guess! hehehe...

You know what comes to mind the 2nd time viewing the pics? I got a FULL tour of the Vancouver Aquarium once, and saw all their behind-the-scenes operations. Your setup actually brought back those memories!

--cich

Plants are gone, but my 33gal and I are back after a long hiatus.
post #8 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the nice compliments guys. I've had a while to think of how I wanted it to be - and believe it or not most everything I did was taken from bits and pieces of people who post here, and a few other ideas I gathered off the internet for the last 2 months. Having done tanks on and off over the last 20 years gave me a little incite on what was needed - but forums like this one are an invaluable resource - so a huge thanks to all that post here and share their experience and expertise.

I can only hope that over the course of time I can repay the group by becoming a valued contributor. This hobby is one of the most fulfilling ones I've ever been involved with - and I can say that even though it's been awhile since I had my last tank... finding this forum and reading all of the great things people do here, it's like coming home.

Glad to be back

I'll certainly be keeping things updated as thje 'big day' approaches.

SNPiccolo5 - Angels are a big favorite of my better half... and although I do have my heart set on a 1/2 dozen adult Red Turks, things somehow have a way of changing. The wife unit is always #1 - and if she pushes the issue at all... it's going to be very hard to say no. Keeping her happy, keeps me happy... and that is as it should be.

Mark K...

Custom All Glass 90 Gal (48x14x30) - Eheim 2028 Pro II - 8w AquaUV Sterilizer - 48" Aqualight 2-65W 6700K & 2-55W 9325K - (4) 3/4Watt Aqualight Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs - 160lbs EcoComplete substrate - Dupla Therm 500 substrate heater w/Temp Control - Hydor ETH300 inline heater - pressurized Co2 w/pH controller - Reactor 1000 CO2 - & lots of other misc. crap
post #9 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks like a great prep job. I like the steps you've taken to make it right. Keep us posted!

John P.
post #10 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update 07/13/04

First and formost... it appears that the Merlin fluidized bed filter has a crack in one of the fiting - so I spent half the day tracking the problem down and cleaning up the mess (hella water everywhere). Looks like I'll be sending back the unit for a new one - but in the meantime I just bypassed thet filter in order to get the system running.

The RO Unit is now fully functional (with the addition of a flush valve) and had produced enought water over the last day and 1/2 to fill up the tank. The first pic is the top of the holding tank, with the shutoff valve and the intake tube. The fill tube proved to be a real pita to keep primied so more then likely I'll be relocateing the pump inside the barrel to keep pump priming a bit easier (to be done at a later time). The controller on the wall is for the titanium heater... right now it,s set at 80 degrees F.

I did place a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe to keep the splatter of the water into the barrel at a minimum... this will also be replaced with something more user firendly. I see a trip to Lowes hardware in my near future .

The second pic is of the inside of the barrel. I siliconed a sch 80 3" flange that supports a 3 foot section of 3" sch 80 pipe that I attached all of the hardware (titanium heater & Eheim 1046 pump for circulation) to make it easy to remove the pipe/hardware for maintainence. I did cut a series oif 3/8" holes all over the pipe so that water will circulate inside the pipe... this made it easier for the intake tube to be located (soon to house the Ehem 1250 so that pump primimng will not be an issue). I attached everything with wire ties, even the plastic box to hold the pump (best invention known to man

The next 4 pics shows the tank fully filled with 160 lbs of EcoComplete, the driftwood that I got from aquariumdriftwood.com - who I might add did an almost perfect job getting me what I was looking for, and last but not least - my old Model D1 Diatom Filter to help clear the water fast. I'll probably add one more bag of EcoComplete on the left side of the tank to get a litter better terrace effect.

With my work week rather condensed, I probable wont to must except remove the Diatom filter, clean the canister sponges, and then install the CO2 reactor & tank if it gets here next week... give me some time to figure out the controller and do a little more reading and what not. Anyway, the project is coming along nicely (however that leaking Merlin was a huge pain).

And finally, a pic of the tank without the diatom filter running.

Till nest time - happy fishes to all

Mark K...

Last edited by sn8k; 07-27-2004 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Link pics to the www.plantedtank.net image hosting service
post #11 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Algae Grower

Wow! Nice Setup.

You know---I know this place is called "plantedtank.com", but I really like the look of your tank without anything in it.
I'm sure that with all that expensive equipment you'll want to get something more fulfilling out of it, but I get a supremely natural feel from the way it is now. Maybe a
little hairgrass and some java moss would green it out a little, but it still looks great.

It reminds me of something I'd see in the colder parts of Europe.
post #12 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice Sn8k, looks like it is going to be a success, Great equipment and set up of plumbing. Look forward to seeing the tank with plants growing and discus in it.

Paul

Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
post #13 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Dang I love the wood !

The equiptment and thought that went into this tank is very intriguing...I will be watching this tanks progress closely.
Im with your "better halfs" fish choice... Angels are a great choice with those tank dimensions since they love to swim up and down all day as opposed to being more "cautious" swimmers as the discus can be. But discus would not hurt you either... LOL

Great start here...

also, how about some insight about your planting ideas ?
post #14 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good grief. I want to learn how to create plumbing like that. W.O.W. That's looking great.

~~Colin
--------------------------------------------------
Eheim Pimp #50
110 liter heavily-planted
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
post #15 of 270 (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ColinAnderson - There's really not too much inolved in the plumbing besides a lot of 1/2 inch schedule 40 pipe, a lot of different fittings (Orchard Supply hardware has it all), and a good ratchet pipe cutter. Th biggest problem was fitting and refitting the pipe to make sure it fit as it should. I actually injured my hands from all of the twisting & pipe fitting - it took 2 weeks before my right hand was feeling normal again.

Buck - As I'm sure you are aware, the plant selection has to be of a very hardy variety that can stand the heat. Echinodorus tenellus to provide a nice carpet, some willow moss for the driftwood, anabias nana, anabias barteri, microsorium, Java fern for some texture, Vallisneria americana gigantea & balansae for the background. I really don't know if everything listed will thrive in the tank, but I'm more then willing to test out a few vairities that are not listed above. Light in the tank is at 2.8 watts per gallon right now - but hopefully I can add some more after enought shading & hiding places are made for my low light discus friends. The big piece of driftwood on the left will be heavily planted on top to provide a nice shaddow area underneath. The big plan if for red turks... but I may go towards heckles is I can find the right stock.

rumples riot - if I can come close to what you have done, I will consider the entire project a huge success. I am always amazed at what you have been able to achieve.

Mark K...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode