First and formost... it appears that the Merlin fluidized bed filter has a crack in one of the fiting - so I spent half the day tracking the problem down and cleaning up the mess (hella water everywhere). Looks like I'll be sending back the unit for a new one - but in the meantime I just bypassed thet filter in order to get the system running.
The RO Unit is now fully functional (with the addition of a flush valve) and had produced enought water over the last day and 1/2 to fill up the tank. The first pic is the top of the holding tank, with the shutoff valve and the intake tube. The fill tube proved to be a real pita to keep primied so more then likely I'll be relocateing the pump inside the barrel to keep pump priming a bit easier (to be done at a later time). The controller on the wall is for the titanium heater... right now it,s set at 80 degrees F.
I did place a piece of 1/2" PVC pipe to keep the splatter of the water into the barrel at a minimum... this will also be replaced with something more user firendly. I see a trip to Lowes hardware in my near future
The second pic is of the inside of the barrel. I siliconed a sch 80 3" flange that supports a 3 foot section of 3" sch 80 pipe that I attached all of the hardware (titanium heater & Eheim 1046 pump for circulation) to make it easy to remove the pipe/hardware for maintainence. I did cut a series oif 3/8" holes all over the pipe so that water will circulate inside the pipe... this made it easier for the intake tube to be located (soon to house the Ehem 1250 so that pump primimng will not be an issue). I attached everything with wire ties, even the plastic box to hold the pump (best invention known to man
The next 4 pics shows the tank fully filled with 160 lbs of EcoComplete, the driftwood that I got from aquariumdriftwood.com
- who I might add did an almost perfect job getting me what I was looking for, and last but not least - my old Model D1 Diatom Filter to help clear the water fast. I'll probably add one more bag of EcoComplete on the left side of the tank to get a litter better terrace effect.
With my work week rather condensed, I probable wont to must except remove the Diatom filter, clean the canister sponges, and then install the CO2 reactor & tank if
it gets here next week... give me some time to figure out the controller and do a little more reading and what not. Anyway, the project is coming along nicely (however that leaking Merlin was a huge pain).
And finally, a pic of the tank without the diatom filter running.
Till nest time - happy fishes to all